filly w/ loose manure

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovable minis

Reaction score
I have a filly who has loose manure on and off. I remember reading some may get this when in heat and yes she is in heat. But then I heard it could be from sand/dirt. I wondering what advice you can offer me. Her back end has been real nasty like she has the runs but its more like cow manure. And she seems to have gas and when she passes it it sounds 'runny'.

Looking for some advice.

Thanks

Sometimes if you have recently wormed the mare, the foals can show those symptoms.. Can you share- how old the foal is, and what she has been eating as well? When I see loose stools on my horses I watch the temp, and try to keep them cool if need be, and feed only dry grass hay like burmuda, or a similar type they are use to, til they show improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
This filly turned a year in May so not with mom for a long time. She was just dewormed about a week ago, could that of caused it? She gets 1 1/2 cups of Strider pellets twice a day and its the same hay as always. She also get source at night.

I will check her temp. She seems fine other then her manure. Eats, drink, plays. I do beleive she is in heat.

Another question...

My horses are on a small lot. I was told cus they are I should deworm them more often. We clean all the manure daily. Any info on this would be great.

THANKS!!!

I like using the "Strongid-C daily wormer" (comes in a big green bucket)when my horses are in the season where the worm cycle is more abundant,. or even in dry lotting. The measuring cup inside is also sized for smaller horses like minis, so it is easy to figgure out the ratio each mini should get. I put it in their grain once a day. The wormer you used, could have upset her system, its hard to tell, but I would cut back on her grain until her stools get back to normal. I have found that "Grass" hay will dry them up quicker than Legume hay. Maybe feed her in a hay holder too.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back