Filly vs. Colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
It is so interesting to me to see how many people on this board want fillies born instead of colts. In the big horse world it is exactly the opposite. Everyone celebrates when a colt is born and can possibly be a fantastic performance gelding! I am quite happy that Flirty had a colt. I have had several people say to me oh, too bad not a filly. I am completely thrilled with my colt! I will likely have a VERY nice show gelding. I do hope Stepper's baby is a girl, just so that it will be easy for me to show them both.

So how many here look forward to getting a colt to make into a great show gelding???

I hope for fillies really just because I can more easily justify keeping fillies for myself... But if we have another Destiny filly and another DunIT filly this year, then maybe I can turn loose of a "girl" or two. But for boys, I already have 1.5 stallions and plenty (7?) geldings
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

That said, I can relate to your feelings and of our foals last year, Ducky is probably the one both H and I are most attached to. Love him so much even though he is a real stinker!!! One of my big goals is to have another successful home bred show gelding. When we were waiting on our first foals in 2001 and 2003, I hoped they'd both be colts. One was, Skipper, and I was so proud when we were showing him
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Also, when it comes to the horses that I do get the most attached to, it's "always" the boys. Not that I don't really love our mares -- I do. But I get the most attached to the geldings and stallions
love0075.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, seeing as to the fact that I do not breed, yet will in the future, I guess it really all depends on the current number of mares in my herd, lets say 5, and I had 1 stallion and 1 gelding, then I would hope for a colt to geld and have as a show horse and to be a buddy to the first gelding. Now lets say I had 4 geldings and 2 mares, then I would hope for a filly to have more mares, this may sound confusing to some, but it will work for me
default_biggrin.png

It doesn't really matter to me as long as they're healthy
default_smile.png
However, that said, I AM hoping for fillies this year by our appy boy.. Out of 6 foals he's only sired ONE filly!
default_wacko.png

My thoughts are this. On a mini breeding farm which breeds for showing in conformation, there doesn't need to be a large number of stallions. Few colts have what it takes to be a herd stallion. If there is a good stallion on another farm people often ask (sometimes without luck) to use someone elses super stallion. Geldings are fun to show in halter and performance, but they don't do much good for a place that is a breeding facilty. Of course, geldings are super in youth classes and in performance.

On the other hand, on ranches the gelding is the mainstay. They are used for the riding horse, cutting horse, roping horse, cattle horse. They are steady and sure and ranchers just love them. They are hard working and devoted. The ranches may breed and produce horses for showing in halter competition, but the geldings are the ones who do the work and are the backbone of the ranch. Of course, they also compete in their specialties at horse shows.

In dressage, hunter/jumper, eventing, carriage driving etc., geldings are also very valued for their steady temperaments and steady performances. Often mares and stallions can be hormonally moody which sometimes make them on again and off again in whatever discipline they are doing.

All three, mares, stallions or geldings have their place. It just depends on what the focus of the farm is.

JMHO

I honestly dont care too much I just want live babies but the only reason I would prefer fillies is because I do have the room to keep more mares but not stallions and I am not a fan of geldings so I prefer to sell those (unless of course I have a superb gelding then I might think about keeping him
default_wink.png
) But I am hoping for one colt this year and it is out of my appy mare and our buckskin pinto son of Double Destiny! I am hoping for an awesome pintaloosa stallion!!!
default_wub.png

I AM hoping for fillies this year by our appy boy.. Out of 6 foals he's only sired ONE filly!
default_wacko.png
If you decide you dont want one of those appy colts you can always send one to me and I will take them off your hands
default_wink.png
!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amy you are competely right. In the big horse world geldings do hold a higher value. But when it comes to these minis sometimes people sees geldings are a piece of you know what, they can't do anything, they just sit around and do nothin. They don't make me money and I can't breed it.

Geldings are wonderful. You can show them, and don't have to deal with hormones. They make great companions. Geldings however have one flaw, they can't breed, and people in the miniature horse industry I'm sorry are breeding happy. It also costs $$$ to geld colts.

The only way to change it is if the registeries try and promote geldings. AMHA does a pretty good job of it. But AMHR I don't see that, and the Super Gelding committee got held on the backburner and that doesn't impress me one bit.

Fillys vs. colts: People always have room for fillys that they like, but not for colts. If they kept them and if they aren't stallion material then they would have to geld them or sell them. Here is the problem, if you are wanting to sell geldings you got to train them to do something. You try to sell a horse to somebody and its a gelding and that buyer is just going to say "ok now what can you do with him". With a stallion and a mare you can say oh they can breed and have cute babies, with a gelding he better be taught to do something or alot people are going to look for something else. Thats your problem. In the big horse world alot of the horses are trained to ride, find yourself a dead broke riding gelding, there aren't too many out there for sale, thats because no one wants to give them up and they are very high in value. These mini geldings can be the same way if everyone thought that way.

So the prmotion for geldings is the key. I like a good gelding, I really think they speak alot about your breeding program especially if you show it in all-around.

I dont care.

I like colts just as much as fillies I just want it healthy and happy.

Fillies are easier to justify keeping some of the time.

But a excellent colt makes a STELLAR show gelding thats for sure.

Fillies are easier to sell around here, in my opinion.

I just hope for a good outcome with the birth, meaning no difficulties for the mare.

I have not gelded any of our miniature horses but plan to do so this year, with one of my yearling stallions.

Girls are easier to sell around here, and bring more $$. That being said, I LOVE my boys, would rather show a stud or gelding anyday over a mare, I like my mares alot, but they can be major you know whats and if we're both like that personalities CLASH
default_wink.png
My favorite thing to do is to take the best boy out there and retain it for a gelding. A gelding that is good enough to be a stud is a VERY FUN GELDING to show! We just need to educate our market to think like that.
default_wacko.png

You know it is interesting that you mention that aspect of the mini world, for as you said it is a different world in the big horse world. Which is where we came from in the beginning.(rodeo and cutting horses) Geldings are held in high esteem in the big horse world and a good gelding that is capable of doing a days work or showing in the different ring disciplines is worth his weight in gold.
default_wacko.png

But here in the mini world it is very hard to sell even a really good gelding for what they are worth. Last year we started the management practice of gelding all of our colts with the exception of those that were world quality halter/driving colts.
default_wink.png

It worked well in my opinion, but we did have to modify our prices in order to sell them. This year we will start to train several of last years geldings we held back for the purpose of providing well started performance horses to the market in the next year or so. We will see how that works out, hopefully people will start to understand and appreciate the value of truly show quality halter or performance gelding in the next few years.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

Good post!!!!

PS to my post -- IF I buy anything this year, I invision it being a colt or young stallion... I am in the market for something specific in terms of bloodlines, color and markings. SOOOOO, I hope some of ya'll have colts
default_biggrin.png

Fillies...l just hate to see a pecker born at least at our place.

When I first got into miniatures, I was amazed at how many people who own them actually breed.

I mean, big horses you actually don't find nearly as many. You leave the breeding to the breeders. I assume it's because big horses cost more, but actually I honestly think it's because people know how much training will have to go into raising a big horse. Halter breaking something that as a baby is already about as big as you are, then the whole business of saddling, breaking to ride, and how many years until it's an actual usable work horse? I mean you always see those cases of somebody having a very loved mare and when she gets older breeding her to have a baby to remember her by... but that's about as much pet breeding as you get. (Yes there are plenty of backyard breeders, but not everybody who owns a big horse thinks it's a good idea to breed it is what I'm saying).

As for minis.... I've had the theory since I first found the mini industry that we are a "breeding breed." Training a baby mini isn't difficult, you teach it to lead and their you have another pet! Driving is fun, but not everybody wants to do it. Beacause horse people are riders, and if it can't be ridden then many people fail to see a purpose. And there really is no practical use. That goes for most horses today, not just minis. I actually was thinking a lot about this last night talking with people from the barn I ride at. MOST horses today are just means for horse people to pursue their hobbies. Showing or not. Showing in other livestock breeds is a judge of what the animal will be good for (sheep and their wool, calves and their... well you know, morbid uses that being a vegetarian I don't want to think about
default_wink.png
), and of course horses used to have practical uses. Back when a draft horse's build was important in how well it would plow a field, or when horses were used as sole means of transportation, or needed to round up cattle. Nowadays, how many people honestly NEED their horses? There are still cattle ranches and cow horses are needed, some. But people have tractors to plow fields, most people don't own cattle ranches, and people have other ways than ponies to entertain their kids. Halter shows used to be ways to judge horses as to what they are built to be good at. Nowadays it's a glorified beauty pageant as these horses will not have a practical working use. You know how many reining horses never even see cows?

So big horse people will see a mini that drives and still not see any reason to own a mini... whereas I tend to compare this to a typical trail horse. So, you don't show, you don't use your horse for anything, you just trail ride for fun... so you aren't accomplishing any task in that case either, just pursuing a hobby. I read a great quote on this yesterday "They are like porsches - nobody needs one but everybody wants one."

In minis, pet or otherwise, the main thing people do with them is make more. Even those who only have pets, how many of those have been bred before? My 3 mares are mostly pets but they've all had babies. Again going back to minis are a "breeding breed" - most of the time people only show to justify their breeding. They show mares so that it makes sense as to why that broodmare is worthy of procreating. They show stallions so that he has a reason to become a herd sire. As for geldings......... either some little girl is pursuing her hobby of owning a show horse, or some farm is using it to promote their breeding farm. I have noticed the difference between minis and biggies in this case is: big horse breeding farms show geldings too, but mostly to show off their training. Because the only thing that matters to big horse industries is who owns it when it wins, who trained it to win. In minis our problem is i have noticed... PREFIXES!! What good does it do another farm to promote a horse that doesn't have their name on it if they can't breed it and get babies to put their names on?

The only thing a mini gelding can't do is breed. Problem being the only thing a mini is going to be expected to do is either breed, or show... so that it can breed. Geldings can show off their bloodlines, but if you don't own those bloodlines, what good is it? I remember hearing a while back on here that people have trouble selling even national champion geldings. I chalk this up to it having someone else's name on it and not being beneficial to whoever buys it.

Anyway, this all comes from a very interesting conversation between me (my little youth opinion) and my 4h group yesterday.

I have a thing for boys!
default_wub.png

The LB foal count is handy to see who had what sex/colors you might be looking for!

Wow! Love Casper you said a mouth full! But coming from big horses myself, what you said is so true!

I never thought of it the way you posted it, but makes sense. That could very well be why you can't get what a mini gelding is worth, but you can get gold for a big horse gelding.

Hmmm.... I sometimes wish that minis would do like the big guys. When they name them use part of the stallion and part of the mare to represent the bloodlines, not the farm.

What do I prefer? I prefer my geldings!

What seems to be the best market around here? Fillies sell faster and for more money.

I am hopeing that a particular mare that a friend of mine has gives her a colt. All for selfish reasons. I want it. I wanted to buy the sire to her foal and the mare is nice too. I am praying she has a colt.

It is so interesting to me to see how many people on this board want fillies born instead of colts. In the big horse world it is exactly the opposite. Everyone celebrates when a colt is born and can possibly be a fantastic performance gelding! I am quite happy that Flirty had a colt. I have had several people say to me oh, too bad not a filly. I am completely thrilled with my colt! I will likely have a VERY nice show gelding. I do hope Stepper's baby is a girl, just so that it will be easy for me to show them both.
So how many here look forward to getting a colt to make into a great show gelding???
I am having a gelding party this spring - 3 or 4 boys - including a SON of Double Destiny - are going under the knife. But I've held off hoping to sell the colts, but no luck, so I'm going to geld and train.

In the Big Horse world, especially 4-H, geldings are king. You never, ever, see a stallion in 4-H, and those geldings are great! I really wish that mini folks would follow their lead. Another reason there's so many stallions IMO is that they are easier to handle, and so everybody thinks, let's breed and make a few bucks. I know of very very few hobby horse farms that keep a stallion, much less 2, 3, or 8!!

Latest posts

Back