Filly fairy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
I don't understand why it is so important to have fillies!

It's like everyone has struck gold when they have a filly.

I feel sorry for the colts. Aren't they just as precious to you?

I have both a colt/gelding and a filly. I love them EQUALLY.
default_wub.png

It's like saying that you love your daughters more than your sons.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it does upset me. Shouldn't you just be happy to have a healthy foal, regardless of it's gender?

Can someone shed this some light on this for me. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the reason I prefer fillies is that I can't keep anymore colts/geldings!!

I am trying to increase the size of my stud, so need fillies as future broodmares to do this.
default_wink.png
default_yes.gif

Yea Leone it used to upset me too.....Until I put my mare in foal for the first time!!!

I think the only reason I want fillies is because Im not after a Stallion, so if I had a colt born he would 100% be gelded no matter what...Which makes me hope for fillies because gelding is costly and it scares me..YUP Im a wuss, I hate my horses needing the Vet for anything ouchie...
default_rolleyes.gif

Also, sad but true, the colts just aren't worth as much money as fillies, then if you geld them, you end up losing money.

Even the big farms sell fillies for more money than their colts.

I love my little boy (9/2006 colt).
default_wub.png

We had him gelded yesterday. I tried to sell him a couple times as a colt but it didn't work out. The vet commented that he is more valuable as a gelding.

We are pretty attached to the little guy either way.
default_wub.png
He's quite a character and most likely will be a permanent member of our family.

Keep them as broodmares, or sell em' for big bucks.

Well, I am really excited about my filly as I was wanting a buckskin filly to add to my herd since I sold her sire last year. I would have been as excited if it had been a colt. Trust me I have lost my fair share of foals and any live birth is wonderful....

I know what you mean. I love my little colt born here just as much as the filly. And his personality outshines hers.

But everyone is right. It is easier to sell a filly and you get more money. A colt really has to be a knock out to bring big bucks.

I dont care what sex as long as its alive and healthy. However yes I do love the fillies, mainly because I want to keep a few from my stud.

Colts are very hard to sell. IF you geld them you are lucky to get what you put into them for the gelding. That said I also dont need anymore boys. I have one stud and 3 geldings aready. I can only do so much with the boys, especially when they are all the same height.

That said my friend has a little stud colt right now...........he is to die for. If I was in the market for a boy I would snatch him up.
default_wub.png

I'm with Ashley and the others, I don't care what sex as long as their healthy and mommas are too.. That said, I do prefer fillies over colts, fillies sell easier IMO and I'm hoping for some appy/pintaloosa fillies from our main stallion to hold back as broodmare prospects for our junior stallion.. All of our broodmares on the farm now are getting up in age (refuse to use the term "old"
default_biggrin.png
) and I'm hoping for some fillies from our foals crops to keep to replace the good ol' gals
default_yes.gif
Now, when it comes to having a full barn and no room for keepers then I prefer colts
default_wink.png
cause knowing my luck I'd end up with a knockout filly that I'd have no room for! lol

I am breeding for a certain look and have planned to breed some of my Windchaser daughters to my other stallions and their daughters to him. They have what he lacks and he has what they need to produce the horses of my dreams.

So, I need fillies not colts. The colts this year and a few from last year are all beautiful and what I am looking for in quality, which excites me, but I do not need any more stallions. So they are for sale, and someone else will be able to get what I am trying to breed for, to help make their herd better.
default_smile.png

I own 2 geldings, a biggee and a mini. They are so the loves of our family!! They are so sweet and loving to us.

BUT I am not breeding, so I dont want hormones from a mare or stallion, so geldings work the best for me!!

In my experience with Human babies, boys are sweeter and more loving... We girls come out just knowing what we want in life, we are very independent, want to be in control of whats going on... Girl animals are the same...

I have 2 kids a boy and a girl and have watched many kids and this has been the case.. I love my kids equally but I know they are different...

Anyway I guess I prefer boys(geldings) and our dog is a boy too (nuetered) where I hear some people say they would only have girl dogs. I am not breeding dogs either so my boy is great for our family... I dont want a girl dog for us...

I think people get familiar with something and thats what they go with... We personally only want boy horses and dogs... That works for us...

I understand why people who breed want fillys if they need more broodmares but if not a boy is so much cheaper and easier with gelding. Cant just do that with a mare if you dont want her to breed, major costly surgery..

I feel sorry for the colts too, I personally love them so much....

This year of our foals, I'm real partial to Ducky (colt)!

As an aspiring breeder, I appreciate that I can grow my fillies up and further my program using them, but, one of my dreams really is a home bred top notch show gelding and I like what I see in our Duckling (has what I like in a stallion prospect which is to say probably good enough to be one of my show geldings!)... And of all my adult horses, truly, the boys are the ones closest to my heart.

I was happy we got two fillies, easier to justify keeping 2 fillies and 1 colt vs. 3 colts but we do like the weenie genie as well as the filly fairy
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Jill you crack me up...
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
the weenie genie..Thats a good one..I love it....
default_worshippy.gif

Oh Jill you crack me up...
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
the weenie genie..Thats a good one..I love it....
default_worshippy.gif
Oh, I can't take the credit for it
default_biggrin.png
A couple years ago, "we" on LB were talking about what to call "him" and I think it was Susanne that suggested Weenie Genie, which I thought was a riot!!! But, it seemed like most others liked Berry Fairy better
default_biggrin.png

I guess after breeders shedding some light on the topic, I have a better understanding of why the fillies are desired. But - I still feel sorry for the colts.
default_no.gif
I'm saddened by all of the stories on this forum of babies not making it. A healthy baby is a healthy baby, regardless of gender. We should love them just the same.

And to those of you that are thrilled with your little colts, I admire you and I thank you!
default_wub.png

I wont have any babies here till next year, but when i do I hope to get at least one filly.

When Ghost was pregnant, since she was my only mini, the gender didn't really matter because I could keep it no matter what. Now, I have 3 girls, a show gelding, and a stallion. Ghost I'm no longer going to breed, so that leaves 2 mares. If they have boys, I couldn't keep either of their colts as a stud because I couldn't breed it to it's own mother and grandmother, and I just don't need another show gelding, especially since it would be my guy's half brother, likely putting them in the same height division. So that means to keep a new boy I'd have to get rid of my current gelding, which....if any of you know my Charm, know that isn't gonna happen.

I love the idea of keeping a baby and raising it from birth, but I could only do that with a filly. Haha I love how (just thought of this) if/when one of my girls gives me a keeper filly, my broodmares will be either a 3-generation family, or Sugar with her two daughters.

But yeah that's why I want a filly for the next baby I'm keeping. I am thrilled with my Charm though, in fact, I probably wouldn't have bought him had he been a filly.

I guess after breeders shedding some light on the topic, I have a better understanding of why the fillies are desired. But - I still feel sorry for the colts. I'm saddened by all of the stories on this forum of babies not making it. A healthy baby is a healthy baby, regardless of gender. We should love them just the same.
Just because some of us breeders 'prefer' fillies to colts, doesn't mean that we don't care for or love colts any less then fillies.. I think I can speak for ALL the breeders on here, that ANY and ALL foals born on our farms are gifts from above and loved no matter what color or sex they are
default_yes.gif

Just because some of us breeders 'prefer' fillies to colts, doesn't mean that we don't care for or love colts any less then fillies.. I think I can speak for ALL the breeders on here, that ANY and ALL foals born on our farms are gifts from above and loved no matter what color or sex they are
default_yes.gif
Yes I agree, thanks Lucky C

Latest posts

Back