Filly Fairy paid a visit to me tonight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a grulla not a buckskin.
default_wink.png
Could mom be red-dun-roan? Or is dad dun and not creme?

She gorgeous congrats!

Dad is a buckskin with a dorsal stripe. I think he has the stripe because he carries the smutty gene. (he also seems to throw more diluts than not) Mom is a red roan. The filly looks more tan in real life and she has the dilute eye color. There are lots of whitish hairs in her coat on her body, but her legs and head are dark. Her mane and tail are black.

I know in the pictures she looks more grulla, but...she is just a funky color. She does have the dorsal stripe, but many times that only means that her body color will be darker when older. I guess we will have to wait till she is older, or if I send in some hair for testing.

Also, Windchaser has never produced a real dun or a grullo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, she is AWESOME!!
default_wub.png
Congratulations!!!

Dad is a buckskin with a dorsal stripe. I think he has the stripe because he carries the smutty gene. (he also seems to throw more diluts than not) Mom is a red roan. The filly looks more tan in real life and she has the dilute eye color. There are lots of whitish hairs in her coat on her body, but her legs and head are dark. Her mane and tail are black.
I know in the pictures she looks more grulla, but...she is just a funky color. She does have the dorsal stripe, but many times that only means that her body color will be darker when older. I guess we will have to wait till she is older, or if I send in some hair for testing.

Also, Windchaser has never produced a real dun or a grullo.
Maybe dam is dun-roan? De roan could hide the dun alot? ;)

Grulla's are born much more tan actually, this is my grullo from last year: http://www.lindasminiatures.com/images/Giorgio_3445a.jpg

Maybe dam is dun-roan? De roan could hide the dun alot? ;)Grulla's are born much more tan actually, this is my grullo from last year: http://www.lindasminiatures.com/images/Giorgio_3445a.jpg
She could be a grullo. She has more white and darker hairs in her body. Mom has had 3 palominos and 1 red roan in the past. 2 of the palominos where with Windchaser. Unfortunatly, I lost them both. One was born dead last year, the other was born with a crook in her neck and by 4 months old, she was paralized and we had to put her down.

Mom has never given a foal with a stripe down its back before.

I should name the fill: Play That Funky Music Wind Girl (rather than white boy, have to use wind in the name) since she is such a funky color. I got a colt by Windchaser last year,(out of a solid black mare) who had a lot of black swirled in his tan coat, thought he was some kind of buckskin. He had no dorsal stripe at all. Then I shaved him down and thought, smokey black (he has dilute eyes), but his mane and tail have blond streaks in it. Kind of like a streak job. Well, his winter coat is more tannish blond. So, who knows what color he is. I know Windchaser had some funky coloring till he was almost 3 before we were sure he was a buckskin.

These colors can drive one NUTS!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back