Filly #3 at Eagles Ring our first Perlino- Pics!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
I think (am I right??) we have our first Perlino Filly she has 2 blue eyes and shades of darker tan on her tail,mane,legs and down her back and shoulders and is out of our Palomino Snowcap appaloosa"RF Bars Warrior Princess" by our Smutty Buckskin stallion "Triple Ks Boogie Bow Tie"

neither sire nor dam have blue eyes.

Our stallion is Homozygous for Black so I think that helps Cremello vs Perlino

Mare had a black colt last year (by a different stallion) so that means she is not Homozygous for Red right???

Does she look like a Perlino to you color experts? she is also appy and I don't know how to see

any appy characteristics mixed with the Perlino characteristics also do you see any appy

I'm always stumped with color but this one is really tough. Would any other pics help with her color

in these pics she is only about 20 hours old and not really unfolded yet

No name yet =

Eagles Ring ...............

born 6/12/08

xena08filly015.jpg

xena08filly032.jpg

xena08filly028.jpg

Sire: Triple Ks Boogie Bow Tie

bowlonge5-6-08emailsize.jpg

Dam: RF Bars Warrior Princess

xenagraze.jpg

xenahead.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She's beautiful, congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif

She *could* be a smoky cream, but with double dilutes you pretty much have to test to really know. Oh, and your mare IS homozygous for red-- any red-based horse is, as they only have red genes to pass on. But if the stallion passes a black gene, it is dominant so the resulting foal will be black based, but also carry a red gene from the dam.

Hmm, is this filly a keeper?
default_wink.png

I am sooo happy for you!! Congrats on your new addition. Keep those pics coming!!!

Congratulations!!! Double dilutes are one of my favorites. I think she looks perlino, but like Lori said, she may be smokey cream -- great color either way!!!

default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

She is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congrats I really like her.

She looks perlino to me as well. Momma is homozygous red because - since red is a recessive gene - it takes 2 copies to show up on a horse. So any horse that is visually red based will be homozygous red. So her last foal (and this one) are black based because they got a dominant black gene from the father.

Look foreward to seeing updated pic of this little one!

Thanks so much we are excited about this girl

I think to tell the difference between Perlino and Smokey cream I test for Agoti (sp?) only right?

Thanks for the red info I am slowly learning some things on color genetics but never realized that

Thanks so much we are excited about this girl

I think to tell the difference between Perlino and Smokey cream I test for Agoti (sp?) only right?

Thanks for the red info I am slowly learning some things on color genetics but never realized that
Yup just test for Agouti.... if she's positive then she's perlino, if she's negative then smokey cream.

Latest posts

Back