Fewspot?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmini

Reaction score
I'll admit I don't know my appy markings very well. I do know it take two leopards to make a few spot but that's about it.

I was ay my brothers the other day and snapped some quick pics to update the website later today. Anyways I'm leaning toward leopard but maybe this colt is a few spot. What do you think?

Sire

galexy.gif

Dam & foal:

lonnieapp.gif

lonnieapp2.gif

No, is the short answer!!

Fewspots have no spots (yes, I know, funny!) or just one or two, I am suspecting this foal was born spotted??

Leopard by the looks of it.

Homozygous Appies (Fewspot and Snowcap) do not need to have two Leopard parents, BTW, they can have one Leopard and one characteristics only, one Few spot and a characteristics only, etc, so long as one parent is full Appy and one parent is carrying characteristics that will do it.

The sire is a Near Leopard, anyway.....
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's what I thought but you know, wishful thinking.
default_biggrin.png

It looks like he only received one copy of LP, but he got a lot of the white modifier genes! He has too many spots to be a fewspot. The spots are also too big. Fewspots usually have lightning marks on there legs too. The white modifier genes are very important too. Are they chestnut/Sorrel?

Shelia B.

Fewspots can have some spots, but not much, and they can have darker areas. I have a fewspot mare who was covered by a appaloosa stallion(not leopard), and the result was a fewspot filly this year. I know that some people on this forum will think this filly is a snowcap, but if that is really the case, then every fewspot in the Netherlands must be snowcaps?
default_wink.png
The neck and head will become more white with time just like her mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we are on this subject, where do you have them tested for the LP gene. I know that equine genetics tests for everything else but I have not been able to find a lab that test the Appy colors! Lorie

There is no test currently available, but the Appaloosa project has been working on this for quite sometime and I think they are getting very close to isolating the gene. They have a lot of information on there website. It is a great place to find out what is known about appies so far and what they hope to find out in the future.

I know that some people on this forum will think this filly is a snowcap, but if that is really the case, then every fewspot in the Netherlands must be snowcaps? The neck and head will become more white with time just like her mother.
Then perhaps the really are snowcaps then... a fewspot will be born pretty-much solid white, with a few spots, just as discribed. A horse that TURNS white after time, has the varnish gene, which is another variation of the appy genetics.

Vanessa, I would definately call that a snowcap.

I would also call the first mentioned colt, a leopard...and a nice one too. What a chest!
default_wub.png

If you go to the appaloosa project you will see that a horse with that much white would be called a near fewspot, just like a near leopard. They still carry PATN1 just like true leopards and are able to produce them. I think people are just splitting hairs when they talk about near leopards versus true leopards. They are really both leopards geneticly. It's the same with the fewspot and the near fewspot. I have found their genetic research very informative.

He looks like a lepord appy to me. I think he's gorgeous!!! I wish I had more room I'd lokve one that looks like that. I love appy's.

Christy

Thanks again. He caught my eye when I was over checking on a baby donkey so had to go get his camera and try to get him. I used my hat and daughter as "bait" but he just kept looking at me like, "I'm hot and the flies are biting and you want me to pose."

He's out of Lonnie's appy stud. Last year I got a pintaloosa out of him and from the looks of it Lonnies got lots of spots.

sunrae.gif

I *think* this one is out of his Rowdy granddaughter.

Latest posts

Back