Few questions??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingsLuckyNight

Reaction score
Finally brought my baby home today!! >.> I actually stuck him in the back of my car and drove him home. I only lived like 1/2 a mile down the road.

We made a tiny paddock for him and he's got a barn/calf barn to keep warm in. I have him in there as of now so the other horses can get used to him... I have bigger horses like 3 times the size of him. There 14.2 hands and 14.3 hands. The 14.3 hand one has had foals before so I figured she'd be more excepting of Thunder then my other mare would be. Considering she has a fear of mini's.

Turns out my mare with the fear of mini's was more excepting then my mare who has had foals before. She tried biting him 3 or 4 times. I'm not talking nips she was out for blood so to speak. She bit him twice, of course the little fuzzball didn't notice because right now all he is, is fluff so she got nothing. Just made his rear-end slobbery.

He's gotten out four times already. Went running down the pasture screaming. My mares kept running him off like they do with any other horse till they feel its okay to let them join the "herd". So they've already been introduced...On accident xD!

Question about feeding scheduled. The pasture he is in, it is winter here like most places and the grass has a brown tint to it but is still very much green. I know mini's are very prone to founder so I'm not sure how I should keep the feeding schedule going. I was thinking a 12 hour schedule. From like 8 in the morning to 8 at night. Then stall him with some hay(or not??) and let him out again at eight in the morning to graze again. Or should I just let him graze all the time but feed no grain or hay?

Second question is the fencing around his little paddock area is 4 foot high. The gait is 2 and a half foot high taller them him. He some how managed to jump and CLEAR it 4 times before we finally got it fixed to were he couldn't. How high can miniatures actually jump? I mean whats the highest they CAN jump? I do plan on making him a jumper, as this isn't the first time he's cleared something by jumped that's bigger then him. He's only 9 months old.... I don't think I'll start training him to actually jump till he's around 3 and a half... I plan to also break him out and use him for cart.

Where do you get into jumping competitions??
564593_512054412148477_1539373945_n.jpg

Congrats on the new little guy!

For feeding, pasture is great, but since he is so young he will need about 14-16% protein total in his diet. Pasture is not going to get him even close. If he gets a belly and is thin on his topline and hips, that's when you know you need to up the protein and calories. I feed mine at that age free choice pasture, free choice alfalfa/grass hay, beet pulp, and quite a bit of omelene 300 (a 16% sweet feed).

I hope you can get a pen for him where your girls can not reach over to him at all. It's great if they can interact through the fence, but if they decide to take a chunk when he's not paying attention, they could kill him. I'm sure you've already thought of that, but just in case
default_smile.png
For fencing, we use cattle paneling, but if he's a jumper i'd even consider putting a strand of electric over it like we do. We had a 2 yr old colt jump cattle paneling and break a hind leg in 2 places. Most costly vet visit we've ever had. That's once in 30+ yrs, but as a precaution we changed our set up. We also put up mesh fencing all around the bottom so legs don't get caught. If there is a way to get hurt, a mini will find it.

Congrats on the new little guy!

For feeding, pasture is great, but since he is so young he will need about 14-16% protein total in his diet. Pasture is not going to get him even close. If he gets a belly and is thin on his topline and hips, that's when you know you need to up the protein and calories. I feed mine at that age free choice pasture, free choice alfalfa/grass hay, beet pulp, and quite a bit of omelene 300 (a 16% sweet feed).

I hope you can get a pen for him where your girls can not reach over to him at all. It's great if they can interact through the fence, but if they decide to take a chunk when he's not paying attention, they could kill him. I'm sure you've already thought of that, but just in case
default_smile.png
For fencing, we use cattle paneling, but if he's a jumper i'd even consider putting a strand of electric over it like we do. We had a 2 yr old colt jump cattle paneling and break a hind leg in 2 places. Most costly vet visit we've ever had. That's once in 30+ yrs, but as a precaution we changed our set up. We also put up mesh fencing all around the bottom so legs don't get caught. If there is a way to get hurt, a mini will find it.

I work for a miniature farm, but have never been around mini's till May of this year. So anything I have learned has been in that time period. So leave him on pasture 24/7? Supply hay, grain and some minerals and protein? Any sweet feed or protein/minerals you would suggest? I wanna keep him healthy and have enough fat on him to keep him looking bright and well. And the wire mesh, I was just thinking about that. Would chicken wire work as well? I plan on letting him out before I leave Saturday, I have some people who will check on him time and time again out through the day for me. (I'm leaving for a week). I have sweet feed as now, has oats and sweet grain among other stuff. I don't have a salt block or miniral block as of right now, thy just ran out not to long ago and I need to get some more.

Not sure if you're planning on turning your new little one out with the big horses or not. But it's not usually a good idea to turn Minis out with full size horses. I know many people do it with no problems. Being an owner of both bigs and little, I had wondered that in the beginning. Just too many major risks, especially with a baby. Have heard stories of them doing fine for a long time, then finding the Mini with a broken leg, or worse from the big horse. Even if they're just playing the size difference could be a major problem. You probably already know this, but just thought I'd mention it. Have fun....I'm sure you'll be adding another, as it's impossible to own just one
default_yes.gif

Not sure if you're planning on turning your new little one out with the big horses or not. But it's not usually a good idea to turn Minis out with full size horses. I know many people do it with no problems. Being an owner of both bigs and little, I had wondered that in the beginning. Just too many major risks, especially with a baby. Have heard stories of them doing fine for a long time, then finding the Mini with a broken leg, or worse from the big horse. Even if they're just playing the size difference could be a major problem. You probably already know this, but just thought I'd mention it. Have fun....I'm sure you'll be adding another, as it's impossible to own just one
default_yes.gif

I really have no other place to keep him but with the big horses. He's to become a companion mini for barrel races and such when I can't take one. I have never seen my mares kick out or anything while playing around they usually just run all over kingdom come. It to worries me, my mares are gentle but there is a dominate mare(chestnut in the pictures). I'm not sure what she would do if he made her mad. She's never kicked out at the other horse(dark bay) that I have seen at least. There both pretty laid back. I'll have to figure out something.

If your pasture is big enough you could fence off a part of it for him. That way he'd still be next to the horse he is keeping company but not in with and able to get away from if need be. Just a suggestion!

Where do you get into jumping competitions---

Hunter/Jumper classes are offered at mini horse shows. Look into miniature horse clubs into your area for shows.

The Dark bay is the second in the pecking order. The chestnut with the blaze is the alpha. For some reason the alpha mare is being nice and very excepting of Thunder sticking by his pen and nuzziling him. She stll squeals but its just a tiny one. The dark bay, is being overly mean. I let him out today since they got introduced last night by accident 4 times. The dark bay was a jerk and went at him to day. Lunging while running to bit him. I understand its establishing pecking order but she's being agressive. So this may not work out.

If you leave him out with the big horses he is going to be seriously hurt, I am afraid there is no easy way of saying this! He is likely to get killed (no easy way of saying that, either)

If you can get hot wire you can make a paddock within your pasture, and this will keep him safe.

If you leave him out with the big horses, eventually, he will be hurt, simple as that I am afraid. There is no way you would catch me selling a wee one into this sort of situation as it will break your heart when it happens. PLEASE, for your sake as well as his, get some hot wire.

Congratulations on ypur new baby ,but Im sorry I have to say that agree with Rabbit , I know of several people that have dead or disabled minis from being out with big horses , it doesnt have to be a mean kick , even a playful one will kill/maim him

It isn't just a kick that you have to be worried about, sometimes they all get to running and the poor little guy will get bowled over and injured by your biggies! I would err to the side of caution, the two sizes simply don't mix.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. What you have done is made a very common mistake when people purchase miniatures and are not forewarned about providing basic housing and his own pasture facilities in advance, including the dangers involved by using them as companion horses for big horses. As you already experienced, he's been loose and bitten and lucky to still be alive. I always say just because they are small enough to fit in a closet doesn't mean they don't need proper space to get out and run and buck and play. You can buy 330' of field fencing at Lowes for less than $200. and some metal tee posts which would make him a sufficient size area of his own and run a hot wire around the top to keep your mares off of it and another one chest high to keep him off of it. Perhaps you can board him at a local stable until you can fix things up for him. I'm glad you realize your little guy is in harm's way and needs a different situation immediately until you can provide him with what he needs. Good luck to you and best wishes.

Firstly, many congrats on getting your first mini! But I do have to agree with the others when they say mixing him with your big horses could/will probably get him hurt in so way. I think you said that he is a colt? This could be an added problem as at 9 months he will probablybe fertile - not that he would be able to cover your big horses, but he will have 'colty' ideas and this is what your mares will not put up with, and however placid your girls are, they will bite or kick at him as he tries to follow his natural instincts. Even having him gelded immediately (and that may depend upon the weather and how much space you can give him as he will need plenty of exercise after the operation) may not mean that he loses those instincts for several months.

He may be small, but keeping him in a restricted space will probably cause him to race around and do silly things once he gets into a bigger area. Young minis, like all young horses need plenty of space to race around in, to use up some of their energy and to develop strong bones and muscles. Perhaps you could follow Mary's suggestion and find somewhere to board him for a short while until you can re-organise your set up more safely.

As you have not had a mini before, may I just add that it is not advisable to use the Quest (Equest) wormer on minis - dangerous for them - also should he need a painkiller, bute is also to be avoided if possible (not a lot of vets know this, so a good idea to mention it if ever it is necessary).

Good luck - I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with him once everything settles down and you can get organised.
default_yes.gif

Thank you those who have put what I tried to say far more tactfully!

My intention was not to be mean to you, I assure you, I was just SO horrified that I am afraid I was a bit blunt.

I am really pleased to see another Mini owner enter our crazy world, when I started I also had big horses and, for the first day at least, I did actually let them together- then I saw what was happening and they all got moved....PDQ..... I am sure you only want what is best for your little one so do not be scared off by the responses, stay and learn- and go get the hot wire or panels!!

Welcome to our crazy world, btw.
default_yes.gif

Anna a friend of mine had a mini stallion and a 16hh mare in separate paddocks ,the mare came in season .. the stallion escaped his field and got into the mares field , obviously a 30ins mini couldnt reach and in desperation she laid down and accidently laid on the stallion breaking his hock (back leg joint) , it happened very quickly and my friend did see it and ran to stop them but it was too late , he was her main show horse and a champion in the ring , his leg did heal but he is left with a deformed leg , he has since been gelded and is a companion

He is being let out on the lead line twice a day while the mares are tied for about an hour or hour and a half till I can figure out what to do. The alpha mare is acting all motherly to him the dark bay is still being a =@*%-} to him.

And I'm actually getting him gelded now once I can find someone to do it. It'll be after winter so probably when he turns a year old I'll go have it done. It'll be a little more exspensive because he hasn't dropped yet. But it'll save me a start of trouble in the long run.

Congrats! What I can see of him he sure looks adorable. Not to be mean but as others have expressed I too feel it is not a good idea to keep minis and big horses together. I know plenty of people do it but I think you are setting yourself up for some major heartache and/or huge vet bills.
default_no.gif

As far as gelding him that is fantastic! Mini's are know for sometimes being slow on the dropping. Hope he drops soon for you.

Jumping depends on the horse and their desire to do so, so not sure what to tell you on how high he can jump...lol.

Best of luck with him!
default_smile.png

We had a little pony years ago that we had in with the big horses, not really thinking anything about it and the big horses weren't mean to the pony, but in racing around and playing one day the big horses just ran over the pony and sent her rolling across the ground. She was unhurt, but scared me. Hard lesson learned the hard way and we found the pony a new home. It was safer for the pony that way.

Good luck with him and congrats. My oldest daughter wants to do jumping with one of our minis.

OK, my horror story:

Mare turned out with big horses- out there for over a year, owner poo-pooing my advice (I had sold him the mare not knowing he was going to do this, normally his Minis were kept separately, apparently he thought this was "cute") He was watching one day as the big horse herd (about four or five of them) all of whom liked this Mini a lot, ran around the field with the little mare running safely on the outside. As they swept up the field towards him a big gelding kicked out in sheer joy. He caught the mare in the belly, burst her diaphragm and she dropped dead right there.

Even if you get your &^%$** mare to accept him the first time he annoys her she will, quite understandably, kick out or bite him, and that will be that. With a weaned foal, as you have, it is natural for him to try to get as close as he can to other horses, your mares would not tolerate this from a full sized foal, they are going to be even crosser about a tiny one. PLEASE reconsider what you are doing. Even if you get away with it, that is all you will be doing, getting away with it. You really should have been told all this when you went to buy the foal......

Last edited by a moderator:
I do want the bigger ones to at least get along with him though. I still am gonna use him as a companion mini for barrel races and trailer rides and such. Just will keep them seperate and have them only interact when I'm with them so I can control him and the others.

Latest posts

Back