Fever after vaccination :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Had all 6 of my four legged family member vaccinated yesterday.

My mini got her shot around 2:30pm then around 4 I gave her a safeguard wormer (fenbendazole)

This morning she was kinda mopy, let her in the pasture at 10am, she didn't run, just walked around following me, nibbling here and there (wears a grazing muzzle) but a little uninterested.

She laid down twice between 10-12, once would be normal. Brought her back in at noon, noticed rapid breathing, she ate then checked on her again around 1 and she was laying down again (picture)

02c15d986e159b01944ac3c417a63214_zps0a9a5bec.jpg

Checked her temp at 1:30 pm and it was 104.4, she's always a little on the higher side but that's way too high. Gave her banamine paste and gastro guard. At 2:20 she was down to 103.1, eating but still breathing rapidly and face is sweaty. I clipped her face in December, but the rest of her body is still in full blown wintercoat. Should I clip her neck for some relief? Temps are in the 70's all week, lows in 40's but she's inside overnight and when the weather is bad. Anything else I can do to bring the fever down?

It might help to know what vaccines she got.Did a vet do them or you do them yourself?If vet I would call and tell him/her what is going on.I have had Minis get reactions from certain brands of vaccines I used(don't use that brand any more)in the past.When doing shots myself I don't give all shots on the same day.Give 1 ,then wait a few days to make sure there is no adverse reaction ,then give another.If I get a bad reaction I know which vaccine is the culprit.Some horses are more sensitive to vaccinations than others,I would call yiou vet and ask for suggestions especially when a high temperature is involved.

Managed to reduce it to 101.4, breathing normal. It was the rabies and the WN combo. I did remember reading somewhere about reactions/fevers to the WN combo and have found the thread. Seems lIke a lot of minis have problems with the combo with some running fevers for as long as a week. I had mentioned to the vet that I'd rather do separate shots, but since the horrible WN outbreaks last years and this hot 70/80F January they wanted to do it yesterday. She had gotten a single WN shot in September and had no reaction. Couldn't reach the vet, not even the emergency number.

Will know better next time and do the WN separate.

Glad you got the temp down,but keep an eye on her.Banamine probably brought down temp, but it may go back up as meds wear off.Keep taking her temp and trying to get in touch with vet.combo shots are tricky since yiu don't know which 1 is causing the problem.Glad she is doing better.

It's down to 99.9 now, she's acting normal again, no more sweating and back to nibbling on people's toes
default_smile.png
I will check on her again before I go to bed and take her temp again in the morning. Hopefully she's good now but no more combo shots here and no more farm calls on a Friday!

It's not which killed virus, it's the adjuvant used for all of them that is going to cause the fever and malaise. I get the same reaction whenever I get a killed virus vaccination (I go with live when I can-no adjuvant to make me sick). Spacing them out will not really make a difference-you are just going to be giving them adjuvant more times and there have been studies showing the combination vaccinations produce a better immune response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I used to think splitting them up would help, but it doesn't as you are really just giving them more adjuvant over a greater time period.

My other advice was good though-what brand and what adjuvant was used? If one brand's adjuvant elicited a reaction that you did not like, pick a different one with a different adjuvant. After much research, I prefer the combos-less chances for the horse to get sick and a better immune response. Much better
default_smile.png

I will have to check with the vet tomorrow regarding the brand, thanksv:)

She's doing great this morning
default_smile.png

I would also check the spot where you gave the injection as a few of mine had a reaction last year and their necks swelled and became painful around the injection site.

Yes I had all my young horses spike a fever a day after giving vaccines, ones that I use every year. Next day they were all fine.

The vet gave the injections, can't see anything on the neck though. When back to her old self today except for not hopping around crazy in the pasture but at least no fever, a little running around and normal behavior.

I agree that it is most likely the adjuvant that is the culprit in most vaccination reactions; I do use multiples, but prefer to always give WN separately and allow some time...several days to a couple of weeks...between the shots.

I personally do not like to give shots in the neck, as it is a difficult site to treat/to drain should an abcess form at the site; also, IF there is severe soreness as part of a reaction, the horse may be reluctant to lower its head to eat. I STRONGLY try to avoid ANYTHING that might cause a horse to not want to eat...or drink...or, create any undue stress. Why? The increased threat of ulcers, which are so much more common than most realize, and can be so damaging to a horse's health.

Also--I personally would not recommend doing vaccines and a deworming on the same day, for basically the same reasons I cite above. Call me excessively cautious, but I've been caring for horses every day for a VERY long time, and experience has brought me to these beliefs.

Margo

I was hesitant to worm them the same day, had the worker here and wanted to wait a few days after the shots, but I asked the bet and she said no problem, so I won't be doing that anymore either. Learn something new everyday...

*wormer

Surprised and pleased I was able to post.

MD's must do better job of presenting to parents the 'reasonable' side effects to vaccines than we do as DVM's. It is common knowledge children will be quite sick and run a high fever after vaccinations and Mom's accept it pretty well. DVM's need to let owners know this, but instead we apparently feel pressure to have owners believe vaccines are innocuous. Although I don't want to make patients 'sick', I, like most DVM's and MD's, solidly believe that the risk to vaccines are worth the reward of better disease protection.

To me the most alarming part of this post was your inability to get a hold of your Vet in a timely manner for a reasonable question. I encourage you to call the office during normal hours and not only report your issue, but also work with the Clinic so it doesn't happen again.

Dr. Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:
Willing to bet it was a FD vaccine... had bad luck with them and heard lots of people complain about reactions. I avoid FD vaccines. Many are "out dated" too, other brands have newer technology with better results and less reactions, imo.

I have talked to The vet office. got an extra number to reach them at when the office is closed and informed them about everything I know about her reaction. She took until tonight (Wednesday) to recover from Fridays shots. Fever was only on Saturday but she wasn't herself until tonight, kinda colicky, no running, more laying down, sorry look on her face. She ate but less, drank, passed manure and urinated. Just not her usual self. Tonight when I turned her out again she ran, bucked, kicked and almost did back flips for 10 minutes LOL I knew she was good then!

I will get to the bottom of this though - I bought her in February, had her shots done, all but west Nile and no reaction (different vet)

Then had WN done in September - no reaction

And now all shots incl WN and had the reaction. I will call both vets back and try to find out the brand.

Some vacinations should not be given at the same time. I would watch her closely, but also give her LOTS of fluids, this helps bring her temp down. MAKE HER drink as much as possible, force pedialyte or gatorade (gatorade not recommended they say now as it has too much sugar and sugar dehrydrates them) as she can swollow or get down her. Of course the banamine helps as well, but should be used "as directed" only. If her temp persists I would surely call a Vet.

Good luck!

Some vacinations should not be given at the same time. I would watch her closely, but also give her LOTS of fluids, this helps bring her temp down. MAKE HER drink as much as possible, force pedialyte or gatorade (gatorade not recommended they say now as it has too much sugar and sugar dehrydrates them) as she can swollow or get down her. Of course the banamine helps as well, but should be used "as directed" only. If her temp persists I would surely call a Vet.

Good luck!
She's fine now, see last update, thank you though
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back