Fetal Movement

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I have an older mare that could possibly foal anytime from now till late October. If not then she would be due Jan/Feb.

She has gotten rather large in the last month but still not making any bag at all. I did notice "rolling" in her flanks the other day while visiting her out in the pasture.

My question is how early can fetal movement be visible? It was very noticible with her. Is this usually an indication of later (10-11 mos) gestation or can it be felt at say 6 months gestation?

I have an older mare that could possibly foal anytime from now till late October. If not then she would be due Jan/Feb.
She has gotten rather large in the last month but still not making any bag at all. I did notice "rolling" in her flanks the other day while visiting her out in the pasture.

My question is how early can fetal movement be visible? It was very noticible with her. Is this usually an indication of later (10-11 mos) gestation or can it be felt at say 6 months gestation?
This depends a lot on the mare. Some mares are very heavy (fat) and it is much harder to feel or see any movement on them until late gestation.

I can usually "feel" movement around 5 - 6 months. "Seeing" any movement takes a while longer....usually not until the last trimester.
default_wink.png

I agree it depends on the mare and how they carry them, but I have seen mine 'showing' by five to six months and I would say movement easily by about 6 to 7.... I think it's so funny when the baby is really 'bucking' in there so hard it makes the mares stop for a few minutes til it quits....

Latest posts

Back