Fescue resistance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
I had been thinking about this for a while, thought I'd ask for opinions on here. I've had the same hay guy/same hay fields for years. I know fescue is in this area but I have never had a problem with it. So my question is,

Is it possible for a horse to build up a resistance to fescue related problems?

Thanks for any input.

Perhaps your hay guy grows endophyte-free fescue. Its not the fescue itself that is the problem, but an endophyte that "infects" the fescue. Sorry, I can't explain what an endophyte is, but if you look up fescue toxicity, you should be able to find the information.

It's my understanding that fescue is only an issue for pregnant mares. I'm pretty sure horses cannot develop a resistance to it or it wouldn't cause issues year after year for horses / foalings in the states where it is rampant (like my own state).

In my area, Virginia, fescue is 'the" natural grass. It's what we all have in our yards. When farmers plant the endophyte-free fescue, from what I have been told, they have to do something (spray it, I think) periodically or the fescue that is rampant and indigenous to our area will take over.

But, it may be that in Idaho, the resistant strains are able to maintain their resistance and not be invaded by the time we all have here in VA.

We learned the lesson the hard way and now for at least the last three mos of our mares' preganancies, we only buy hay that has been certified and we look at the actual certificate, vs. taking any farmer's word for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I have asked my hay guy and he doesn't know what fescue is. I guess I shouldn't look a "gift horse in the mouth" as they say. LOL

Do you have an extension office (that's what they're called here) in your area? Here, we can take hay into that office and they will test it for fescue, or analyze the nutrition, etc.

PS to clarify in plainer words, "fescue" is a type of grass. It becomes harmful for pregnant mares when it is infected with a fungus it is prone to get... fescue can be free of it (strains are resistant, but I think require maintenance procedures to stay resistant / pure).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I have asked my hay guy and he doesn't know what fescue is. I guess I shouldn't look a "gift horse in the mouth" as they say. LOL
That's kind of scary, if he's in hay as a business and doesn't know what fescue is. I know there are several species of fescue, but I think the endophyte only infects one species, I want to say its tall fescue that is the issue.

Yes Jill we do. I have wondered about doing that. My hay doesn't have a lot of grass but I will look more closely into what I do have. Thanks!

I have read and heard that donkeys can have a resistance to fescue, I do know that I have a rescue jenny that has always been with cattle and have a jack last year and never had any problems. I got her when he was about a month old. I was also told that some horses that were born and raised and then foal on fescue can sometimes have a resistance, but there is no proof to that!! So I guess it boils down to russian roulette!! Not something I would want to do!!
default_biggrin.png

There is a strain of fescue that has been developed to be endophyte free, but it is not very drought resistant. ( we had no success in getting it to live thru our hot dry NC summers) Plus you could not let it go to seed, if it did the "new" grass had the endophytes. The endophytes actually make the grass more drought tolerant (a symbiotic relationship)

Also there is now a strain of fescue that has a "friendly" endophyte. It is drought tolerant. We seeded our pasture with a mixture of that, clover, alfalfa, and a couple of other grasses. We were buying fescue last winter from a cattle person who grows the endophyte friendly hay. ( the endophytes are not good for cattle either, while not as harmful as to equine fetuses, it still causes reproductive problems and milk production problems.)

Since Fescue is the "best" growing grass in this area, many folks choose to feed it, you just have to pull your pregnant mares off of it 3 months prior to foaling.

You can have the hay/grass tested to see if it is free of enophytes or has the "good" endophytes.

If your hay guy does not know what it is, chances are Fescue does not grow in your area and your hay is another species of grass.

I don't see how they can build up a resistance to it at all. I really think that's impossible. The endophyte is there on the fescue grass and you can't make that go away. I have heard that if it is kept short like down to the nubs it won't hurt anything because it needs to be a certain height to accept the endophyte bug but that's is just heresay and I am not sure if that is correct.

I never took a chance. I go to great lengths and I mean great lengths not to have pregnant mares anywhere near fescue grass for the last 90 days of pregnancy. I do have fescue but I also drilled orchard grass and timothy mix and a touch of volunteer clover comes up but I still do have fescue errupting in my fields anyhow. Its very hard to get rid of. My pregnant mares come into dry lot and then I drive half way across the state for pure orchard grass hay that is proven and gaurenteed it has no fescue grass in it. It is a pain, a costly and time consuming but if I breed that just is all part of it. Besides, I do enjoy the road trip.

Latest posts

Back