Fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhminis

Reaction score
As we are getting ready to build our miniature horse fence - what type of fencing do you all use / like / dislike? What we are thinking is using 3 strands of the electric white tape around the miniature horse pasture area; then the paddock area where we will put them at night using the - not sure what it is called - panels that have the large squares (large enough that if for some reason they stick a leg in it - it shouldn't get caught) and on the top we were going to run 2 strands of hot wire. We have coyotes out here, etc. and I want our horses to be safe.

I would not depend on the electric tape. What if the electricity goes out? If you want to use the tape I wouldmaybe use a rail fence along with it.

Good thought! We won't be putting them out in the pasture with the electric tape fence unless one of us is home - otherwise they will be in their large paddock with the secure fencing and their run in barn. Where we purchased our first mini's is using the panels and she said they really liked them........ We're going out to purchase fencing, etc. tomorrow morning - that is why thought I'd ask all of you that have had mini's for awhile - what works & doesn't work.

I am in the process now of finishing up our latest fence project. We are using the 4x4 goat fencing. It comes 4' high. We are then going to put one strand of hot wire butt high to keep them from rubbing.

I use the mesh cattle panels for my drylot paddock and around the barn. For grazing during the day, I have electric tape; if I'm going to be gone or the weather is bad, they don't go out on pasture. [i don't have a place to put up permanent pasture for the minis, so I move temporary fencing around during the summer, so they can graze.]

We use cattle panels for our fencing and I like it.

Looking%20Back%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20147.jpg

DunIT%20and%20Bacardi%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20221.jpg

I use the 1 1/2" electric tape. Some of my pens (stallions and weanling pens) have mess wire around it also. I have not had a problem with my electric tape and have used it for years. If the horses know it is electric, it can be out for days before most of them will test it.

IMG_5258.JPG

I have 4 strands of the 2 inch white woven electric fence around my large pasture and use the round pen 12ft.x5ft. panels around their run-out stall paddocks. They do (Test) the electric fence EVERY DAY to make sure it is on or they stick their heads thru to get grass on the other side!!
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
As if SHOCKING
default_new_shocked.gif
once wasn't enough! You would think they would learn :DOH! :DOH!

What we are thinking is using 3 strands of the electric white tape around the miniature horse pasture area;

I would not trust that especially if you are concerend about coyotes. Our coyotes are very bold but when the field fence went up with hot wire inside and out, they passed and went elsewhere. Guess it was too much trouble for them to bother. Also when the horses get hairy, they don't seem to feel the hot wire like they would with short hair coats. I think 3 strands is not adequate fencing.

fenceline.jpg

I perfer Endurasoft or Intellirope from Premier Sheep Supplies www.premier1supplies.com over electric tape, the polyester rope is much more durable than the polypropylene. The Intellirope is very visible without having the wind drag of the electric tape and it is much easier to work with. You do have to introduce the horses to the electric fence before turning them lose or else they run through it. I don't have a problem leaving the horses on electric fence, you couldn't drag one of my horses through that fence even if it is off. I had one section disconnected for about 3 weeks before I hooked it back up and the boys did not try to get out.

The mares are in pastures with vinyl post and rail, they are the escape artists so they need a physical barrier instead of a psychologial barrier only. Joker hits the vinyl fence to get at any boys that I take by him, but with the electric fence he doesn't dare touch it.

Thanks everyone so far for sharing what type of fencing you use - and the pictures are very helpful. I know that our Quarter horses and our dogs once they each touched the electric fence - they have never touched it twice. Our miniature horse pasture is directly behind our house and they won't be out in the electric fence pasture unless one of us is at home - and we've never had any problems with coyotes, etc. during the day. At night we will be putting them in their paddock (my husband calls it their compound
default_rolleyes.gif
) which will be the cattle/sheep panels plus electric wire inside and outside at the top - plus that is where their run in shed and barn is located.

For us newbies seeing pictures of your fences, sheds, etc. really helps!!!!

Thanks!

We use cedar split rail backed up by welded wire to keep other roaming dogs and varmants out. If you check out my web page on my signature, you can see different views on different pages.

we have exactly what you have described. 3-4 2" tape on the larger pastures(which I have one mare that will test on a regular basis if she doesn't think she has enough to eat...) Then the smaller dry lots are cattle panels with 2 strands of hot wire, one at "butt" height and one at the top. We have riding horses too so this way I can move the horses around and use any pen for any of the horses. I love the tape it has high visabilty and won't hurt them if they do get into it. I think for the money you'll invest it's the best. We've yet to replace much fence, no sagging and they stay off of it due to the electric. Hope this helps

Danielle

Latest posts

Back