Fencing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjoy85

Reaction score
We are re-doing our fencing in the next few weeks. I'm having a hard time deciding what kind. We are trying to decide between cattle panels with t-posts every 8ft (3/4 of our fields are like this), cattle panels with wood 4x4 posts every 16ft (is it strong enough that way?), black no climb with painted black t-posts, or regular field fencing with t-posts. Right now we just have field fence from the 80's on one side and cattle panels with t-posts on the other 3 sides of this particular field. It is also along the road (rural, but frequent vehicles, dog walkers, coyotes, etc). We want to make it look nice, but we also want to do it quickly. We will be doing all new posts regardless of fence style. We are leaning towards cattle panels since they are so easy and we have lots up like that already. It will just be our 4 A size minis. Any thoughts? Anyone care to share pictures of their fences? I did a search and found a few, but more are always helpful. :)

I love my cattle panels! I would definitely go with those over the field fencing. Over time field fencing tends to crush and sag, especially with horses rubbing on it. My round pen is cattle panels, my stallion's pen is cattle panels, and my main pasture is almost entirely cattle panels. I have started to replace the rest of the field fencing with cattle panels in some spots as the field fencing needs to be repaired.

_MG_3861.JPG
Here's part of the main pasture. The one leaning t-post for support, like an H brace.
_MG_6308.JPG
And here is part of my stallion's turnout.

Hope this helps! I would go with T posts over wood posts for the cattle panels. My original wood corner posts for the field fencing are having to be replaced now too as they haven't held up well.

Gorgeous minis! How do you usually space your t-posts? We have done 8ft, but seems a bit excessive sometimes. A place down the road from us has cattle panels that are really saggy/wavy and posts are at 16ft. Not sure if that is because of the post distance or the care (or lack of) taken in putting them up.

Good point on the wood posts. They do rot out much easier. We took down a few corner posts a handful of months back that we thought were sturdy...they fell over a soon as they lost their buddy supports! Lots of lessons can be gleaned from those corner posts.

I love my cattle panels! I would definitely go with those over the field fencing. Over time field fencing tends to crush and sag, especially with horses rubbing on it. My round pen is cattle panels, my stallion's pen is cattle panels, and my main pasture is almost entirely cattle panels. I have started to replace the rest of the field fencing with cattle panels in some spots as the field fencing needs to be repaired.

View attachment 46767
Here's part of the main pasture. The one leaning t-post for support, like an H brace.
View attachment 46768
And here is part of my stallion's turnout.

Hope this helps! I would go with T posts over wood posts for the cattle panels. My original wood corner posts for the field fencing are having to be replaced now too as they haven't held up well.

Thank you! I enjoy them.
On cattle panels, I do space t-posts at 8'. I like to have one at each end and one in the middle for support. I could see the panels getting wavy at 16', would much rather have that extra one in the middle.

Oh yes, it might take a few years, but they do rot! My wood posts were literally being held up by the fence! My goofy 2 yr old had bumped into two posts in two different pastures and they broke off immediately. They were gate posts, so had to replace them with more wood, but the neighbor wrapped them at ground level in something that they put on electric wire/telephone poles to keep them from rotting.

I'd do posts every 8', even if you want to do wood at the panel ends, and then a t-post in the middle (save a little money and hole digging, we can't set wood posts with a pounder here); it needs the support in the middle.
My drylot is t-posts and cattle panels, posts every 8'. And, if you have a really bad fence rubber/leaner, sometimes the 8' it too far.

My barn and my fence are about 100 feet away from my house. The look of the barn and the fencing were very important for me since I can see it right outside my back door or if I look out the windows of my house. I opted for wood post, 3 rails and cross fencing. I think it turned out beautifully! I just love the traditional 3 or 4 rail wooden fence look for horses.

A2D52E95-A2E9-41AF-AFA5-8E667440D456.jpeg

Cattle panels and posts every 8'. Wood posts are safer for horses and generally look nicer. I am seeing residential homes in town with cattle panel fences even, they put a 1" x 4" across the top and stain it and the post to match. I have also seen porch railing done this way.
My mini paddock is wood posts(every 7 1/2 feet) and cattle panels(ends overlapped) for extra security, but the rest of my fencing is wood for corners and gates, then metal t-posts with a wood post every so often. I am in the process of redoing a lot of my fencing. The only job worse than putting fence up is taking old fence down. Cattle panels are so much easier than unrolling/stretching anything else, and taking them down is SO MUCH easier than anything else

Beautiful fence! We would love to do something fancy, but it's out of our budget for now to do a 3 rail. Wood prices here are high. Someday maybe :) We love the look of a black fence so if we ever do a 3 rail, it would likely look similar to yours.

My barn and my fence are about 100 feet away from my house. The look of the barn and the fencing were very important for me since I can see it right outside my back door or if I look out the windows of my house. I opted for wood post, 3 rails and cross fencing. I think it turned out beautifully! I just love the traditional 3 or 4 rail wooden fence look for horses.

View attachment 46769

Yes, it is tedious getting old fencing down and then unrolling and stretching is not fun either. It takes longer than cattle panels. We have seen a lot of those types of fences with a toprail and LOVE them. Very nice looking. I wish wood prices weren't so high. Most of what we have right now are cattle panels and t-posts so that is likely what we will do. It's easy, fast, and moveable.

Cattle panels and posts every 8'. Wood posts are safer for horses and generally look nicer. I am seeing residential homes in town with cattle panel fences even, they put a 1" x 4" across the top and stain it and the post to match. I have also seen porch railing done this way.
My mini paddock is wood posts(every 7 1/2 feet) and cattle panels(ends overlapped) for extra security, but the rest of my fencing is wood for corners and gates, then metal t-posts with a wood post every so often. I am in the process of redoing a lot of my fencing. The only job worse than putting fence up is taking old fence down. Cattle panels are so much easier than unrolling/stretching anything else, and taking them down is SO MUCH easier than anything else

I'm looking at fencing options right now as well! (Yes I realize I'm two years late...but better than 10 years!) I was just wondering a couple things about the cattle panels. 1. my horses LOVE to scratch and itch, thus rubbing their mane out. Do you think they would still do it on the cattle panels? And 2. I have my first foal crop coming this year, so would cattle panels be safe for little ones, or would they catch their feet in the holes? Thanks guys!

Cattle panels holes are big enough they should not be able to catch feet. Typically they are 6" x 8" at top with a couple of rows of 4" x 8" at the bottom. They are welded, so there should not be anything to catch and pull out hair. I would have all my fencing done in cattle panels if I could afford it.

Latest posts

Back