Fencing Issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to post that sign all over my town. It's similar to MajorClem's. It once was a nice rural town and now full of million dollar houses. We were looking to get out, but then along came Covid and I don't want to house hunt right now. To be honest, I can't stand it here anymore and I grew up here (4th generation) LET ME OUTTA HERE 😄
Marsha, if your neighbors sell, let me know, I'm packin' up and headin' out!

Yes, I had forgotten about goats and water. But in the heat of a moment, chasing him down with a water bottle or dragging a water hose 1/4 mile wasn't an option. But that is sure a funny picture, using a water bottle to keep him out of the garden!
I know. I rarely think of water in the heat of the moment too...IF it ever looks like an ongoing problem a sprinkler could work as a deterrent too. Although it's a bad idea in winter in most areas!

I know what you mean about city people. We keep getting them as neighbors in this same property that changes hands. Some are humble and willing to learn. Some are arrogant and think they can do what they like "because they live in the country". Then they find out how hard living in the country is and move back to town.
Neighbor from big city said my rooster woke him up at 8 am on his birthday and he should be shot or made to keep quiet. I laughed and told him he's lucky. Darn thing wakes me up at 4:30 every morning! Didn't like that response...

It's so TRUE!!! We live in a wonderful rural area in Central Oregon and got pushed out of the edge of the larger "city" because so many CITY folk came in and said, "Oh! This is WONDERFUL! But we need to improve it, so it's more like where we moved from."

We need that as a billboard as you come into our valley. 5 years ago we had no wal-mart, no starbucks, no burger king, no panda express, one small bar, no sportsman warehouse. Now we've got all of that and a restaurant or bar on every corner. I've heard people say "We moved here to get out of the city but there isn't anywhere to eat/shop/drink". I reply with "We shop over the mountain (35 minute drive to a large city) and we eat a drink on the back porch with family and friends." One woman said her neighborhood felt very unsafe because there are no street lights and people turn their porch lights off when the go to bed. I can understand the darkness is probably and adjustment for those who have lived in big cities but she actually petitioned the city to install lights down her street. Hopefully she will be able to embrace the dark and quiet and enjoy the stars as she feels more comfortable.

We need that as a billboard as you come into our valley. 5 years ago we had no wal-mart, no starbucks, no burger king, no panda express, one small bar, no sportsman warehouse. Now we've got all of that and a restaurant or bar on every corner. I've heard people say "We moved here to get out of the city but there isn't anywhere to eat/shop/drink". I reply with "We shop over the mountain (35 minute drive to a large city) and we eat a drink on the back porch with family and friends." One woman said her neighborhood felt very unsafe because there are no street lights and people turn their porch lights off when the go to bed. I can understand the darkness is probably and adjustment for those who have lived in big cities but she actually petitioned the city to install lights down her street. Hopefully she will be able to embrace the dark and quiet and enjoy the stars as she feels more comfortable.
I feel the same here. We are getting our second Starbucks, but so far no chain restaurants.

Taxes and real estate are high here in California and so many other crazy things, that a lot of my friends have moved. Even my two new driving horse friends are thinking about moving to Texas. 😢 Hoping they won't.

We gave some acres to our son several years ago to build. He acquired some more, and sold them to my sister--on condition that she did not put in a yard light. That seems to be one thing that town folks have the hardest time adjusting to--country darkness. But after they start appreciating the stars and the moon and the fireflies, they seem more comfortable with darkness.

I live in the sticks, but almost everyone out here has a yard light that turns on at dusk, off at dawn; helps keep unwelcome critters out of the yard. And, a sense of safety when you make late night or early morning mare check runs across a large yard (or other reasons to be walking across the yard in the dark).

We moved to where we live now 15 years ago because there was NO WHITE LIGHT POLLUTION. (Larry is an "amateur" astronomer - works part time for the Oregon Observatory.) In just the last few years our night sky is now a DISASTER. Face Book and Apple have built huge structures 10 miles to the east of us and their night lighting fades out all the stars in that direction!

I live in the sticks, but almost everyone out here has a yard light that turns on at dusk, off at dawn; helps keep unwelcome critters out of the yard. And, a sense of safety when you make late night or early morning mare check runs across a large yard (or other reasons to be walking across the yard in the dark).
I like to use motion detection lights outside. Keeps the night beautiful, but alerts to larger wildlife or people. On the plus side when I need to run outside fast, the light turns on automatically and stays on for a few minutes. I still need to bring a flashlight or lantern though because barn and chicken coop are in darkened area.

I like to use motion detection lights outside. Keeps the night beautiful, but alerts to larger wildlife or people. On the plus side when I need to run outside fast, the light turns on automatically and stays on for a few minutes. I still need to bring a flashlight or lantern though because barn and chicken coop are in darkened area.
But sometimes ours would turn on for no reason and it was kinda spooky. One time my Uncle was house sitting and he came after dark and it was on and he was kinda freaked out....😬

Latest posts

Back