fencing ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locketlady

Reaction score
We want to replace all our run down fencing and will be putting up a wooden privacy fence.

Not the thin cheap boards but we're using 2" x 10"s (may go 2" x 12"s)

We started buying boards that we're putting primer and finish coats on, just doing a dozen at a time.

Why so thick of fence board? We just want something super sturdy.

Thinking about putting up hot wire in the inside so the Mini's don't try to rub or push against it.

What are folks thoughts on this type of fence?

We want to little by little do the whole property but wanted to start out with the outside perimeter of the pasture.

Between the pasture and the house would be regular chain link so we can always see in.

We have 3-rail, 2" by 6" fencing around our farm. It's VERY sturdy. Breaker loves to scratch and push up against it and it's never budged. I wouldn't have any other type of fence (mainly because my mom would never allow a metal fence to be on our property). I don't think you would need hot wire on a sturdy fence, because it wouldn't matter if they pushed up against it. Here's some photos of my fence:

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

We want to do the 6 ft wooden privacy fence around the property line. That's the reason for using the 2" x 10's.

Your fence is very lovely. If it weren't for privacy issues I'd have one like yours.

Ahh... I see. I'm sure that the fencing you're thinking of will give you lots of privacy and be plenty sturdy for your ponies.
default_smile.png
Good luck on your fence building!

I'm all for privacy fence. With nosy neighbors it has made my life easier. I agree putting a hot wire up will keep your fence looking new for years to come. If there is a solid surface, ponies will rub on it. Be cautious with chain link and horses. I have seen bad injuries from hooves getting caught in it skin getting pinched. They make stock wire fence out of heavy guage that wont sag or pinch and you can see through it. I use that in all of my pastures.20131030_080704.jpg

There are pros and cons to every fence and a lot depends on where you are at as to how long a fence will last and wether it will work or not. Horses do a lot of damage to fencing - reaching thru, over and rubbing on it if they can. Hot wire is wonderful!

For your case, I would recommend hot wire on the inside of the fence to keep your horses from rubbing on it. In our ground here in NC, even if you cement them in, posts move due to weather, horses rubbing and leaning on the fences. We are constantly maintaining even "maintenance free" fencing!

I have used chainlink - but have larger ponies - and they've used it for a "hammock" (literally - I came out to the barn to find a 450 lb Shetland mare suspended off the ground in a section of chain link she'd been rubbing on the day before - quite funny but difficult to get her out of. We'd installed it stapled to wood posts and with about 6" of empty space below the bottom - which allowed it to twist and "grab" her when she leaned into it and rubbed). We got her out, re-tightened the fencing and went about our business. She must have liked the "hammock" effect - as it wasn't the last time we found her like that! Eventually she damaged/stretched all the chain link in every 10' section between wooden posts! But we weren't in a position at the time to run a hot wire (no electric and couldn't keep the solar charges working well enough) and we used the chain link as long as we could (someone else had been throwing it away, so we had no cost in it other than time to install - most of it had never been used before we put it up). Our other larger ponies and horses have destroyed chainlink fencing that was around the dogs' area - by reaching over and rubbing on it. Bends the top rail and permanently bends the chainlink. It's both time consuming and costly to replace.

Over 40 + years of having big horses, ponies and the "B" sized minis in different states and on different properties and layouts, we've had the most injuries with wood fencing - board, privacy, post & rail and wooden stall doors and diamond meshed "horse fence". Don't know why - just the way it's worked for us. Those are supposed to be the prettiest and the safest for horses! We've had the least injuries with the 16' stock type panels and those were caused by a large pony that "climbed" the fence and a yearling horse that was running and tried to jump a panel section and didn't make it. We've also only had one major injury with hi-tensile wire (used since 1997), though we were told that that was the worst fencing you could have for horses (especially minis).

Honestly the best fence we've ever had? A 4 strand smooth wire fence (before hi-tensile wire) that had a 5th strand of cattle barb wire at the top! It was a perimeter fence only at first and then we changed two of the interior fences to the same - and then had NO problems for almost the whole 10 years we lived there! The snow didn't shift the posts or the wires - though one winter they were able to cross the top of the 5' fence when the drifts packed down hard over the top of the fence. The smallest "horse" over the 10 years we had that property, though, was a 12 hh pony/horse X and the new born foals when we had them. We also only had up to 12 full size horses at one time on that property - right at 5 acres. Not sure if that made a difference... But then again, in Colorado, we had the least bug/rubbing/skin/chewing issues and good quality hay available even when we didn't have good pasture... In MT, the "skeeters" were almost big enough to pick up a mini foal and fly off with it! Deer were more of a problem with all fencing than the ponies/horses were for the 2 years I was up there. Mom and Dad had/have (step Dad pass in 03, Mom sold the last horse in 06, i think) a variety of fencing on their current 20 acres (since 1994) - ranging from smooth wire (barbless, not hi-tensile), 16' stock panels and post and rail - both the inserted kind and the kinds made from bolting a landscaping timber (partially rounded 4x4) to a post, and privacy (not around the horse areas). Since they dealt with deer and range horses, they've never used a board for fencing around the horses - too easy to break even the 2x4s. The original fencing from 1994 still stands!

I can't stand having a horse or pony reach thru a fence as "Breaker" is doing in that one photo. Drives me crazy with broken boards, rubbed out manes, shifted posts and chewed on equipment (or people). I've also had ponies get stuck when putting their heads thru a fence or a gate, some have caused injuries. Someday, I will have all fencing and gates that have no way for a horse to put it's head thru anywhere!

My best way of describing fencing here in NC -
default_closedeyes.gif
- no matter what you choose or use,
default_smile.png
'Ain't no such thing as "maintenance free" either!
default_new_rofl.gif

Not even in the same beautiful ballpark as Jenny's fence, but... I'm a true believer in equine rope, hot.

IMG_20130429_085333_587-L.jpg

We have a shorter fence separating the barnyard from our deck area made of welded wire with a top rail, and a hot wire to keep furry itchy butts from making it go sproing. Took ONE time to change Legend's mind about itching on it.

There are a several reasons for wanting the privacy.

1) One day we had the girls (Dreamer and Catcher) up in our front yard (which is equiv to about 3/4 acre)

A neighbor from down the road slowed down and stopped and since my husband was out there said "I didn't know you had horses!"

I don't mean to sound like a weirdo but my first thought was DO YOU always drive up and down the street taking inventory of your neighbors stuff? I'm sure he meant it in a nice way but it bothered me. Maybe he likes horses and if it had been me I maybe would of stopped and said hello and wanted to pet the horses too.

2) We have a turtle/tortoise rescue. I don't mean tortoises I mean TORTOISES big tortoises.

It worries me that someone may see them (especially in this economy) as a way to get a fast buck to steal one and sell it.

3) We have two granddaughters living with us and we have GSD's.

4) The neighbor above us my husband went out one night to do the last check of the night in the barn.

He kept hearing something which at first he thought was rocks being thrown over by the neighbor.

My husband shined the flashlight on the neighbor and said WHAT THE ####.

He was throwing apples from his apple tree over the fence to the Mini's at 10 pm at night.

Ok enough of my why's
default_smile.png

I'll the chain link off the ideas for inside the property fencing. Appreciate the info on that. I had planned on an inside hot wire

with that also but can do something different. The privacy fence due to being in the rainy NW I wanted to make sure the fence

would last so will be putting several coats of paint.

Chain link may work well for you in your situation - especially if you are able to use a hot wire to keep "itchy butts" (as Fox Haven put it) off of it!

In mine - it didn't. But we had larger ponies that could reach over and lean on 4' high fences (standard chain link fence). The dogs often tore the hot wire off of the fence - it was constant to keep checking it all the time to make sure it was OK all around the yard. It only took one time of it not and the dogs (2 aussies, 1 siberian husky, several mixed breeds over the years) thought the wire was their play toy. Can't tell you the number of times I had to pick up loose wire that the dogs not the horses/ponies pulled down! And that was when the ponies would rub on it and lean over it... We still have it - not completely replaced or repaired, but stll there.

The chain link that was suspended off the ground was standard sized. It didn't have a top rail put on it. Here is a nice picture of it behind our daughter riding a shetland mare and of Magic's foal that year - before it got stretched out of whack! I can't lay my hands on any other of the pics - they aren't on any of our computers.

202e.jpg
63d7.jpg

AH - I understand the privacy fence. That's cool that you do Tortoise rescue! With your maintenance of the fence line, and using heavier boards to begin with, you probably will reduce your issues overall. I painted a lot of fence in CO for those 10 years around our yard (between 3 of the pastures) and the round pen. I developed a true hate for white, painted, board fences!!

Besides hot rope - the folks that purchased that black and white filly above used hot tape - Horse Guard makes a nice type.

PT20and20Pixie20canter20right.jpg

I'm liking your privacy fencing ideas with all the nuts running around. That would give me a sense of security.

Bill from WW minis just put one up at his place .

Paintponylvr there was a day I though white fencing was so darn pretty.

However with googles map and satellite showing everyone, everyone else's business I tend to like things that blend in with

their environment verses stand out. Our chicken pen, our tortoise pens, all are painted with an evergreen green to blend in and not be

a sign saying "HEY LOOK AT WHAT I GOT" It is amazing, scary and disgusting what those google maps can show.

We were building a chicken coop last year and had the 2 x 4's laying down in our drive, you can see it on the satellite map

of our property !!! Just dump plain 2 x 4's. Our cars, etc. ok off my soapbox
default_1857272.gif

That would spook me with a neighbor throwing apples over the fence without permission. Aargh. I'm sure, well intended, but potentially disastrous.

Another option is shadecloth over chain link. Use that with emus for many of the same reasons you have, particularly dogs (or coyotes) chasing them. Nothing kills an emu faster. It was green and blended in nicely. Might be less expensive if that is a concern.

Shade cloth is an awesome idea. I bought all of mine from farmtek they custom cut and bound the edges to my specifications and put rivets in for hanging. I too like privacy. I have the problem with neighbors who are not farmers. They want to live out in the country but want the city to come to them. I get nosy people complaining about flies, smells and noises. I had animal control called because someone thought that my horses wearing fly masks were blindfolded. Its rediculous. I agree with putting up privacy fence. It keeps the rif raff out.

Last edited by a moderator:
AmySue, that fly mask story was something!!

6 foot board on board fencing will give you privacy but make sure you hot wire it so your minis can't lean. I don't see using shade cloth on a chain link fence giving you the privacy you really want unless you're doing a 6' chain link fence.

One warning about the privacy fencing - make sure you check it periodically. I've had it before and after a big wind storm several panels just fell over leaving big gaps in the fence. But other than that incident, I loved it and it was well worth the money.

I understand the privacy issues!!

I had a similar story as the flymask one - a little different. Animal Control showed up not long after we moved in. Seemed someone had called and said we had a pasture full of "dead horses"...
default_new_shocked.gif
The Officer who checked out the complaint had a good laugh with me!! It was a rather balmy spring type day in between snow storms 10 years ago here in NC. The ponies were all in a section of the pasture that was dry rather than mucky and all had laid out flat. With no flies, no tails were "flicking"... By the time the Officer showed up, some were standing and grazing, but it hadn't been long and most were still down and "sacked out". When we went out to check on the ones still down, they each looked up at us and two after grunting at me and giving me a nuzzle, laid back down and laid out flat again. He stated that he hadn't had such a good day in a LONG time and he chuckled and laughed all the way back out to his truck!!

I STILL get folks asking about the "dead ponies" in the pastures, LOL... Most folks just don't know or understand that if a group of horses or ponies is comfortable - everyone will take naps pretty much at the same time. If they are a little uncomfortable or there is stuff going on in the neighborhood, one will stay "on guard" - standing up and able to check out the "goings' on".

I kinda like the idea of green and brown fencing, now that I've read your reasoning! Hmmm....

Latest posts

Back