Fence issues.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember while building a fence is a lot of work, it is also an investment into your property. And a good fence built to keep any breed of horse in is to your advantage. We have board fences in places and page wire in some places; horses never bother the wood, but love to push on the page wire. I grew up with an electric fence, and spent most of my childhood looking for the shorts.........(it was a crappy job).

I can relate to you with your husband; my husband built me fences years ago, announced it was his last fencing job and my NEXT husband can build the next fence!! So if I need a fence, I hire someone!! A lot less headache. Good Luck. Wendy

Hi Soggy Bottom! I have to put my two cents worth in here. I am like you, and wanted it to last, wanted to to look nice, with minimal maitenence. What I did was used the treated 4x4 posts, Put the cattle panels on the inside, and put my white wood cross boards on the outside. My first pastures done have been in for almost 9 years and have been repainted once. The panels don't need maitenence. I went with the height of the panels because everything, including my stalls were done so that they could also be used for full size horses by someone in the future. The wood boards on the outside also prevent any bulging of the panels should a mini decide to do a major rub on them. From a distance you don't see the panels, only the white boards. If I wanted to let smaller animals, such as a goat or what have you, in with the horses I could because of the panels. AND I don't have to deal with a electric fencer!!! yea!! I used the panels that are closer together on the bottom, I think they are hog panels. We have coyotes here, although my pastures are in such a position that they probably wouldn't come in anyway.

Good Luck!

Coyotes here hunt in packs... big packs...so it is not just wolves. And yes.. Fish and Game,, recommended the 8' tall fence for the Cougar and Bobcat. It will keep them out. For the other predators ,,the fence is also being set up to keep them out,too. Make it hard enough and they will go bother someone else...someone that doesn't care about fencing. They are looking for easy food...now mine aren't.

Just be glad txminipinto, you do not live in my area.. you wouldn't have your mules or donkeys if you do not fence well. Am not the only one on the hill to have major problems with the predator base here.

Have learned a lot living up here...more than I would have anywhere else I have lived. Is a real eye opener. I now truely know what it takes to keep the predators off my animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back