Fence, horse no-climb

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Does anyone have this type of fence up? I know it is more expensive and I do not see it often but wanted to ask.

Does it work to keep other things OUT, as in coyotes? I have looked at the fencing and the way no-climb is made I would think a coyote would have problems getting over it as well. They are a real problem here and getting ready, next few weeks, to get a new fence up and I think this would be a good investment. If you have experience with this fence I would appreciate any kind of input.

Thanks in advance.

I havent experienced this fence but we've had coyote problems and went to a 5/6 hot wire strand fence. Its the tape wire fence. Kinda looks like a white strand of duct tape. We've had good success keeping things in and more importantly things out!

We started replacing our old field fence with the no-climb fence last year. We started buying it in 200" roll and doing it ourselves when we can, has been slow going but we are almost finished. It is more expensive but we try to buy several rolls at a time, when ever tractor supply runs a sale. We found tractor supply to have the best price around here. Be sure and get the tied and not the welded. The welded will come loose in no time.

Our old field fence started to look bad with broken wire areas, pushed out areas and rusted areas. We decided on the no-climb for several reasons even though it was more expensive. One reason was I had several scares over the years with foals and grown horses, getting their hoofs caught in fence and also after laying down and then getting hung up in fence, when trying to get up. I have been very blessed in that I have found or seen these events soon after and the fact the horses stopped thrashing when I found them and laid very calm until I could get them loose.

The second reason was as you say, other animals getting into the pasture. Not so much coyotes here but stray or neighbor dogs along with foxes, skunks, possums and such. It really has helped. Also we cut sections of fence and tied onto the gates for better coverage. This is a lot cheaper than buying a gate already covered.

The third reason is it looks so much nicer that the field fence. Ha!

Just my opinion but hope it helps in making your decision.

Our entire perimeter fence is No Climb Horse Fence. I think 'Red Brand'. I had them use a heavy gauge because I knew the mares would be rubbing on it when shedding season came. I had it installed to the ground or in some cases slightly buried.

That was in 1997 and it is still strong and tight despite a variety of natural events.

Nothing has gotten in or out. Coyotes wake me many nights right outside my bedroom which is near one side of the farm. A larg cat was observed watching our mares, but eventually got up and went away. (I imagine the cat could have gotten in, but didn't try) Deer are all around but have never attempted to jump it. (It's 5' or over...can't remember) Our biggest danger is neighborhood dogs which are allowed to run loose...pit bull, shepherd, shar pei and a variety of mixes. I often see them being very agressive toward the horses from outside the fence.

My smallest dog is a 6 1/2 pound dachshund who has never gotten out so the fence has worked well all these years and still looks good, at least where OG&E hasn't messed with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My whole pasture is fenced in no climb horse fence. I had it put in after the 2003 tornado came through and took out all my other fences. It's done a great job here keeping dogs out. I do have to watch and make sure nothing digs under it.

As opposed to Charlotte, deer do jump mine and they have bent the top in a couple of places, but nothing bad.

We have the 5' Red Brand no climb to keep out dogs. We also have a hot wire at about 28" and one on top, we used to have Quarter Horses and Paints. As far as coyotes and deer, deer are a big problem here and they just go where it is easier to freeload on gardens lol. They have stayed away with this fence, coyotes probably could jump it easily if they really wanted to, but they too would choose easier prey. It would take too much effort for them to jump a 5' fence. In my opinion, if your going to put it in, go ahead and spend an extra few dollars and get the 5'. We also did a 100' roll at a time with treated 4" rounds and T-posts capped in-between. With hot wires the big horses didn't lean on the top, couldn't chew the posts, and the mini's can't rub on the fencing or trample me coming through the gate to feed lol. And yes, I bought lots of horsey scratcher pads for them that don't tear out manes and tails mounted in the shelters.

We have some of our fencing in 2 pastures with the 5' Red Brand from tractor supply. It's been up for about 8 years.

We also did it ourselves but ours is stapled to wood posts.

I really like it but I would run electric about butt high because they do love to rub on it

in a small area where we don't have electric they have bent it in the middle from scratching.

As far as other animal problems we don't have any here with or without the no climb. Not even a stray dog problem we must be lucky but our horses are in at night

We have also had good luck with the Red brand no-climb fence. Keeps the neighbors dogs out and so far has kept out the coyotes we hear. Not sure if the bear we saw wondering along the fence had any intention of coming in or not, so I won't claim that it "kept a bear out". But I was sure glad to see him on the outside of the fence heading AWAY from the horses!

ETA: we allow the horses to rub on it, which they LOVE to do and in 8 years it hasn't hurt it much! Deer are not a problem here because we are near a nursery which invites hunters over a few times a week to scare the deer away. Deer would be devastating to their business.

Latest posts

Back