Fellow Zombie Fans -- I think you will be GLUED to this book

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!!! Thanks, Amanda!!!

H has the 2 big collections of the Walking Dead comics and likes them but he keeps listening to my books with me before bed, so he's not all that far along. LOVE that show. I could always watch more of it after each episode. I think it's the most entertaining thing I've ever seen on TV!

I'm going to go see what from your list is on Audible. I know some of them are and I am going to add those to my list
default_yes.gif

Amanda, I wanted to tell you I got the J.L. Bourne series. When I went to check it out, I saw I'd already purchased #2 (not listened to it though), so it must have been on sale and I figured it would be good to snap it up for $5
default_smile.png
I got the first and third ones not, too. I think Stephen King's latest, Dr. Sleep, is out in 2wks, and I will want to dive into it. I'm nearly done with the "Newsflesh" series (it only gets better!)... I need to pick a stand along novel to tide me over until I can listen to Dr. Sleep and then start the" Day By Day Armageddon" series. Thanks again for the heads up!!!

With this series -- I may be in zombie books right up until The Walking Dead is back on TV
default_yes.gif

Amanda, I wanted to tell you I got the J.L. Bourne series. When I went to check it out, I saw I'd already purchased #2 (not listened to it though), so it must have been on sale and I figured it would be good to snap it up for $5
default_smile.png
I got the first and third ones not, too. I think Stephen King's latest, Dr. Sleep, is out in 2wks, and I will want to dive into it. I'm nearly done with the "Newsflesh" series (it only gets better!)... I need to pick a stand along novel to tide me over until I can listen to Dr. Sleep and then start the" Day By Day Armageddon" series. Thanks again for the heads up!!!

With this series -- I may be in zombie books right up until The Walking Dead is back on TV
default_yes.gif
Dean Koontz's Shadow Fires is good. I am reading that right now while I was waiting for Deadline to come in. It's somewhat about a zombie. A geneticist is afraid of dying so he starts this experiment to prolong life or basically stop death from happening. He's obsessed with being young. Anyway, he ends up using this on himself before it is completely tested out properly and he ends up dying. He blames his soon to be ex wife for everything and goes on a rampage after her and his body starts changing to not something anywhere near human anymore. It's been great so far and I am almost done. There are gross parts of course but since we love zombies on this post that shouldn't bother anyone who reads it.

Oh, and my husband was telling me that if you have a Kindle it will read any book out loud but I think it is in the same voice. I don't know if you like the audio books where the voices change with the characters or you just like it read out loud.

Just got done with all 3, great books not scary but interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the second book to the Newsflesh series had come in the mail but it is the 3rd. I am now waiting still for the second.

Fellow zombie book fans -- READ THIS BOOK!
default_yes.gif

OMG, it is outstanding. It's part of a series, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through this first one and I'm loving every second
default_biggrin.png

Not only is it full of zombies, but it is centered around a US Presidential election, the power of social media, bias and news coverage, AND it has horses (!!!) as a key aspect in a way you'd not probably imagine
default_yes.gif

Seriously, unless it also contained recipes for some decadent yet calorie free desserts, I couldn't be more impressed
default_eat.gif

It also has a female lead, which I always seem to relate to better
default_smile.png

It is sooooo good
default_cheekkiss.gif
To be honest, I am not a die hard zombie fan but I absolutely LOVED the book. So much that the other two books in the trilogy will be here on Tuesday!

It takes a lot to keep me interested but this sure filled the bill! Thanks Jill for another winner!

I'm so happy you are liking it, Carol and Amanda!

After the first book of the trilogy, I didn't know if I wanted to keep going but because I shop like they're going to run out, I already had the rest of the series and I just thought it got better! There's also a short novella that is very good, and apparently a text (free on FB, I think) alternative version to the first book (not read that yet). I felt sort of heart broken at the end of the first book in the series, and didn't know if I wanted to keep reading, but I did and it only got better! LOVED every moment of every book.

Right now, I'm on this The First Days (As The World Dies #1) book by Rhiannon Frater. I am not that far into it, and I'm loving it. It is though a true zombie type book. So far, not too bad of the gore (thought that really never makes me not want to keep reading!). I like that it's yet another zombie series (trilogy, I think) with women as the lead characters. For me, that's not essential; but it does make it easier to relate. This one has me hooked.

Still waiting for the second book. I am reading another book while waiting that doesn't have to do with Zombie's but a guy who sees dead people. Apparently, my library isn't to keen on zombie books. I looked up authors today and only found two. One author had a series and they had books 2-6 but not the first one. I then went to Robert Kirkman and they also didn't have the first book in the Governor series. i have read it before but was going to read it again because it's been awhile and was going to read it before the other two. Now I will just have to start with the second.

I hope your second book gets there soon! I really felt so "crushed" at the end of the 1st book, I didn't know if I wanted to keep reading, but am SO happy I did.

Right now, I'm just wallowing in the bliss of zombie audio books. I'm nearly done with the first of 3 in a series that again has women as the central characters by Rhiannon Frater (First Days / As The World Dies series), and have used my "Audible credits" to get another zombie series, one by Jessica Meigs).

I seriously need to make time though to read the new Kathy Reichs ("Tempe Brennan / Bones"), Jeff Lindsay ("Dexter"), Patricia Cornwell ("Kay Scarpetta"),Stephen King (Shining sequel!), and Janet Evanovich ("Stephanie Plum") books... a couple are already out and the others will be very soon. This fall nearly feels like hitting the lottery when it comes to "what do I want to read next?".

Books are my favorite way to relax
default_yes.gif
I read a lot of what most people would brush off as empty, fluffy, or stupid, but I swear, there's nothing on TV that I've seen that I enjoy more not mater that we have 100's of channels!!!

Books, books, books... I could eat them with a spoon some days!

This Rhiannon Frater "As the World Dies" trilogy is also really good. Different than the one I started the thread about, but I sure did sink right into it and am loving it. H is enjoying it, too. I usually prefer books with female lead characters, though many on my all time favorite list have male leads. It's just a something that helps me relate. This is one with strong female leads, but also very significant male characters. It has three in the series and apparently a novella or short story. I'm on the 2nd novel, and it is so good. Set in Texas, and with a big diversity of characters. VERY GOOD if you ask me!!!

Here's a link about the book series "As the World Dies" by Rhiannon Frater: http://www.goodreads.com/series/46363-as-the-world-dies

PS IF I had to choose, I'd rather be reading books like ^^^^ these than watching The Walking Dead, and that is one TV show I never want to miss, and always wish there were "just another hour" when it's done each week. Good stuff, but I may be among the easily entertained
default_biggrin.png

I hope your second book gets there soon! I really felt so "crushed" at the end of the 1st book, I didn't know if I wanted to keep reading, but am SO happy I did.

Right now, I'm just wallowing in the bliss of zombie audio books. I'm nearly done with the first of 3 in a series that again has women as the central characters by Rhiannon Frater (First Days / As The World Dies series), and have used my "Audible credits" to get another zombie series, one by Jessica Meigs).

I seriously need to make time though to read the new Kathy Reichs ("Tempe Brennan / Bones"), Jeff Lindsay ("Dexter"), Patricia Cornwell ("Kay Scarpetta"),Stephen King (Shining sequel!), and Janet Evanovich ("Stephanie Plum") books... a couple are already out and the others will be very soon. This fall nearly feels like hitting the lottery when it comes to "what do I want to read next?".

Books are my favorite way to relax
default_yes.gif
I read a lot of what most people would brush off as empty, fluffy, or stupid, but I swear, there's nothing on TV that I've seen that I enjoy more not mater that we have 100's of channels!!!

Books, books, books... I could eat them with a spoon some days!
I didn't care for the Dexter series too much. It was basically the same thing over and over. It got boring quick for me.

I hear you. I think this is the last one that there will be. I just like to go to bed at night, "turn on" my audio book, and go to sleep w/o having to think too hard. I recently tried to have more than one book going at a time, but I couldn't keep it straight. I watched a lot of the series before I got into the books... liked the books better but you are right, it is a lot of the same thing. This one is supposedly the end, and I think I already read "the end" of the Sookie Stackhouse (a/k/a "True Blood" books)... Also felt it was time to close, but fore sure, with both Dexter and "True Blood", enjoyed the books 10x more than the TV shows. I'm not sure when I tell folks what I thought about books will convey well, because I think I fall right into books I can be "read to" (listen to) probably easier than some books I'd have to read for myself. Just love to commute to the office, or go to sleep, listening to a book. Some of these narrators are out of this world with the voices can do, etc. If it's read / narrated well, and a topic I could be interested in -- I'm honestly probably going to love it. For me, it is SOOOO much better than any movie or TV show
default_smile.png

WooHoo!! My book finally arrived. The very last day it had before it was late. We started to wonder if it was coming at all but it did. I will be starting it tonight.

Thanks for posting! I'm always looking for a good read. I'm not a Zombie fanatic but who can resist a "good" zombie book? Not me. I'll let you know how I like it. Thanks again.

Reading the second book in the Newsflesh series and so far it does seem even better than the first. I am also reading a book called The Descent. If you have seen that movie the book seems a lot better and I am just beginning it. It's not a zombie book but is about creatures, that might have once been human, that adapt to living in caves and are quite...shall we say....carnivorous. You don't want to get lost in the caves and mountains.

I'm so glad you folks are liking it!!! I loved it! Just got it or related to it on a lot of levels. Now, I'm nearly done with this "As The World Dies" series by Rhiannon Frater, which is also very good. Not the news / social media angle at all, but some people you just care a lot about and with strong women as the lead characters. Made me bawl my eyes out last night, but that was the first time. Newsflesh made me cry a number of times but I couldn't get enough of the series
default_smile.png

I am about halfway through Deadline and it is great. I am having a problem with what to read as I am also reading The Descent which is also really good and when I go to pick up a book it is difficult to decide which one. I have been leaning slightly more toward The Descent only because it's a library book and will have to go back. Deadline I own. I also have Stephen King's Skeleton Crew but I am just going to have to renew that one, lol.

Latest posts

Back