Feisty 6 month filly.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willapa Bay

Reaction score
My 6 month old filly is overly friendly. When she is in her pasture, she gallops over to see me, and will sometimes rear. I feel she just wants to play, but I worry about turning my back on her. How can I make her respect my space, without making her fear me?

That's an easy fix 😀. Just take a cotton lead rope out with you every time you go in the paddock. When she gets close and isn't being quiet swing it around you, let it wrap around your waist. It's like her moms tail. She will walk into it a couple of times then learn to stay out of your space, make the extra that's swinging the same as the distance you want her to give you. As long as you don't move it towards her she will completely understand and not get afraid. Make it a habit to take it out with you for at least a few months even when you don't need it anymore.

Rearing at me (could lead into stricking out at me), biting, and kicking are BIG no no’s in my book. We have to remember that horses bite and kick each other all the time. Check out this video on how mama mare disciplined her baby….

Baby wasn’t scared of mama, it has to learn. What I would do is take a dressage whip out with me every time. If/when she reared I would swat aggressively at her two front feet in the air, then I would chase her off. She has to learn that you are in charge. In fact I would turn my back on her just to entice her, if she rears or jumps on you, I would go after her. I would become a crazy person for a few seconds, then right back to my sweet little self. I would be consistent every single time.

I love my little boys in my space, my biggie absolutely not… but my little ones are just so darn cute. If they are in my space, they have to behave. If they misbehave I send them out.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Back