Feet trimmed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renolizzie

Reaction score
I know the last post I put up I sounded worried about my little guy and his whoa. By the way, with your comments you helped figure out that it isn't his whoa so much, it is his stand that I need work on. Thanks everyone.

This time I want to brag on the little guy. He was a perfect gentleman for hoof trimming. The farrier said his feet look really good so I am happy that I am doing good at keeping his feet clean and going on asphalt, road base gravel and dirt haven't chewed his hooves up:).

It is totally sand in my yard so I have been moistening the ground in front of his water trough. We haven't had rain in months and it is so dry here. That is normal for this area since we only average six inches of moisture per year. The farrier said see if I can make a mud puddle for him the day before he comes since he has such tough little feet. Mud will never happen so he says use some pine tar or lanolin inside his hoof for about 3 days in advance of his showing up to soften up his feet a little.

I am sure prices vary around the country and I think the ladies in my area will think his price is outrageous. It was $45. What is everyone else paying and what state are you in? If someone doesn't mind telling me.

My ferrier is a nationaly certified barefoot ferrier that charges 35 for a trim but i pay him 40. He does an excellent job.

With my girls, I've found that even just a few minutes of standing them in a wet area will soften their hooves a bit and make rasping easier for me.

I stand mine in a mud puddle for about an hour before the trimmer comes. I have a couple of places in the shade where I can puddle it. In the summer, mine seem to actually enjoy letting the little sprinkler get on their legs while they are soaking.

My dil is a certified barefoot trimmer and charges $20 for miniatures and $30+ for big hroses. I pay her $50 for my two and like to have her about every 6 weeks. I am on her route, but lately heard an ugly rumor that she is going to wean us all in this area, as she has too many clients now and prefers not to drive so far. Hopefully my status as mil will keep me in the priviledged rank.

I'm in the middle of nowhere in NE Montana, and I pay $40 per horse for trims with a 4 horse minimum for him to make the trip (which means 4 or less horses costs me $160 total). The minimum is no problem since I have 12 minis and 3 saddle horses (one is hubby's, and he does well on a 12-week rotation); the farrier comes every 4 weeks, and we rotate the horses through. I have one with special needs, including 4-week trimming schedule, so it works out in the long run. [And, I trim some myself to keep my farrier bill reasonable. I need him to trim the saddle horses, as I can't get through their tough hooves; and he trims a couple with special needs. I trim the normal ones, which includes the stallion that doesn't like the farrier.]

I'm in Louisiana, for just a trim?I guess with inflation that sounds about right maybe a little on the high side but if they're doing a good job I'd say pay it, it's not something I'd skimp on. So for current prices, I dunno for sure, Dad's been 'retired' (he only does our horses) for at least 6 or 7 years now and I think he was at 35 for just a trim back then.

My cost? I have to buy him a new rasp per round so I get out with 4 horses under $30
default_whistling.gif
and the cost of the shoes or bar stock and gas for the forge if I need special plates or to pull clips or sliders or etc. My costs are the materials he uses
default_thumbup.gif
and to be at his beck and call while he does it...oh and to feed his horses when he's not able or to help him build fence or...lol he gets his pound of flesh out of me ;)

I pay 30 for a large horse trim and my farrier gives me a deal on the minis, 2 for 1! When he was just starting out 8 years ago I spread his name all over and he thanks me with the deal.

Latest posts

Back