Feeding Yearlings-B sized

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout

Reaction score
I was wondering how much everyone is feeding their B sized yearlings? It seems like it is taking a lot of feed to keep the weight on my little boy, and I am curious as to what you all are feeding.

Each horse is different. My Treasure, 36", is a 2 yr old and is eating less only 2 lbs/feeding, as a yearling it took more. What are you feeding?

[SIZE=14pt]My yearling B gets 6 cups 10% fat 10% protein Equitec, 2 cups dry beet pulp, 1/4c flax, 1/4c BOSS and a pound and a half of alfalfa cubes twice a day . SHe also gets Strongid C 2X wormer at night. The 6 cups weighs out to 3 pounds. SHe gets no grass and no pasture. He has also had teeth floated twice this year. She is the bay mare in my avitar.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4 year old gelding now. Up until last summer he was on 6 cups of Equine Jr 2x a day. All the hay he wants and grass. HE still looked sickly. NOw this summer he is a little chubby. He gets no grain, just pasture.

Thanks everyone. I am feeding Omelene 200. He gets almost 2 1/2 pounds (about 9 measuring cups) a day, just seems like a lot for a 34" yearling, as my 34" adult mini gets less than a pound (3 1/2 cups to be exact) and is fat as a hog. They both get free choice hay, but I know that the colt gets more than his share of that, because the older gelding won't eat until the baby is done.

Our show yearling is 33 and 1/2 inches tall and we feed him 4 cups Omalene 200 in the mornings along with 1 cup dry beet pulp and a handful of hay, in the evenings he gets 4 cups Omalene, 1 cup dry beet pulp, 1 to 1 1/2 cup Purina alfalfa, along with some hay in the evenings along with some added vitamins and minerals. This is a good maintenance feed for him, he has kind of hit a plateau on his weight and does not seem to be in any kind of growth spurt. When we first put him up for showing we were feeding him as much as 6cups Omalene twice a day until he got to this point. I also want to say he is a laid back easy going horse and doesn't require alot of calories like a more hyped up horse could.

f38f8ce8.jpg

I was very surprised at how much a few inches can make in feed consumption, especially youngsters.

I feed each horse different but it if I averaged I would say 2 cups 10% Strategy grain with 3-4 cups soaked beet pulp and about 1-1/2 pounds of hay twice a day. I also allow an hour of pasture a day for each horse.

I know amounts to feed can vary from horse to horse, but here's what my guys are on...

Yearling 31" (mature 32/33) yearling stallion - 1.25# Progressive Nutrition grass balancer, 1/2 cup BOSS and free choice grass hay (he was on 1.5# of Nutrena Youth plus free choice grass hay until about a month ago - he just couldn't eat it fast enough to keep it fresh, so I put everybody on the same thing). He was also getting 1/2 pound of COB until a few days ago when I ran out, he doesn't seem to be missing it any.

2 year old 35" filly - 1/2# PN grass pellets, 1/4 cup BOSS and about 5# grass hay per day. She came to me pretty fat, having been on highly alfalfa based diet (almost pure alfalfa), she could hardly move she was so chubby. She's lost some weight and is now quite spunky.

Latest posts

Back