Feeding weanlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the old thread. What do you feed your weanlings and how much (I know this varies between weanling but just looking for a guide line dosage and types of feed) so that they don't get the big belly.

I have one weanling colt that would eat me out of house and home if I let him and he is getting quit round. I have not had this bad of a problem until we moved south. The feed is just not the same here as it was back home. Mainly the hay but I also can't get good quality grain that is not buggy right now (sweet feed) and the oats are not as good. So I am having a hard time getting the feed ratio down right.

My weanlings are also out on pasture during the day.

Looking for suggestions.

I load my weanlings with tons of food. Weanlings are growing like crazy, and they need atleast a 14% protien, and 6% fat. More doesnt hurt. need lots of fiber to, around 18%. I like Purina Equine Jr, and Id feed a weanling 1 and a half to 2 lbs twice a day.

Thats just what I like, and do.

Latest posts

Back