Feeding The Show Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research and have been talking to a lot of trainers in my area but wanted to expand my research and ask my friends here.

2015 will be my first show season with my miniatures and I am wanting to do right by them. I have shown in English and western events with my qh so I understand that your feed program is the base of any good performance and halter horse. You must put good in to get good out of them.

Let me first of all state some background information for all of you. The miniatures that will be hitting the ring next year will be two senior geldings, a yearling colt and a yearling filly. All my horses have their own stall, are kept in during any inclement weather, are fed twice daily and are fed measured hay amounts per horse based on their weight. They are all handled every day and I spend a lot of hands on time with them, and they have great manners and basic training. They are fed a 13% protein and 8% fat pellet along with good quality grass hay. Everyone is good condition, no pot bellies, nice top lines and no ribs or hip bones protruding. They are dewormed via daily dewormer as well. I offer as much free time out of the stall as possible, weather permitting however everyone goes up at night because of the coyotes in our area.

I plan on showing in halter, jumper, hunter and in hand obstacle in AMHR rated shows.

Getting to my main questions....

1) what do you feed your horses through the winter when you know they will be showing in spring and how often?

2) I am wanting to add soaked beet pulp into their diets to aid with water consumption during travel and shows, do you do this as well or would you leave it out? If you do feed it, how much do you feed, and do you weigh it out per horse when it is dry or when it is soaked?

3) for those of you work your show horses through the winter, what exercises to do you do and how long?

4) do you sweat your halter horses through the winter or no, and if so for how long.

5) when it comes to sun bleaching, do you leave your blacks and bays in the stall during the "high sun" times in the winter or just worry about that come spring? I would like to avoid my black pinto getting completely sun bleached as he is very prone to it.

Any other advice, tips, etc would be appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you!

First of all keep it simple. People make it so difficult add this supplement, add this, and that. Usually getting yourself a good quality grain it should have everything you need.

1. Most of mine are out on pasture, later in the year I'll add a round bale. I have one kept up because she gets ganged up on but I also want to monitor her intake as she is a halter mare. All she gets is hay. Everyone gets a mineral tub, and its a good one, not the cheap tubs. It gives them what they need since they aren't getting grained. They lick it like candy, otherwise if they are getting grain they hardly touch it. If I do feed grain I feed ADM Glo line feeds. I'll probably start to bringing them back in at the start of Spring. Mine get fat real easily but over the winter I don't worry about it.

2. I do beet pulp if I absoutely need to. But not very often, and I measure it dry. Really haven't had an issue with mine not drinking.

3. Again I let them be horses during the winter. IMO they need that time off. Now thats not to say I won't pull one out to train them to do something new, like driving, obstacle, etc... But as far as keeping them conditioned I will not concern myself over it.

4. I'm sure some do, especially if they are stalled all year but nope I do not.

5. Mine are actually outside all year long. I don't have a fancy barn with stalls. Actually if I had my way I would have a barn with stalls but allow them to have turnout time so they can go in and out. Gives them more room and I think they would be happier and less barn sour. One thing you can do to help with the sun is fly sheets and neck covers.

Remember keep it simple and keep them happy.

Getting to my main questions....

1) what do you feed your horses through the winter when you know they will be showing in spring and how often? I feed a good quality orchard grass hay with low carb/low sugar/ high fiber grain. This past winter I started adding in Max-E-Glow which is good for their coats. It is more difficult to get an idea of their weight through the thick fur but try to feel for ribs. Depending on when you are showing clip a month in advance to get the winter coat off and to get a better idea of their weight and what fine tuning you need to do before the show.

2) I am wanting to add soaked beet pulp into their diets to aid with water consumption during travel and shows, do you do this as well or would you leave it out? If you do feed it, how much do you feed, and do you weigh it out per horse when it is dry or when it is soaked? I don't feel like mine need this. The shows I go to are only an hour away and my mare drinks regularly You could also use electrolytes which are available in a powder and a paste (like de-wormer).

3) for those of you work your show horses through the winter, what exercises to do you do and how long? Depends on my schedule, but I try to work a few times a week for 20-40min. I do driving, jumping, and obstacles-- to keep her sharp, its also less boring than lunging.

4) do you sweat your halter horses through the winter or no, and if so for how long. My mare refuses to wear her sweat so I'm not using it now.

5) when it comes to sun bleaching, do you leave your blacks and bays in the stall during the "high sun" times in the winter or just worry about that come spring? I would like to avoid my black pinto getting completely sun bleached as he is very prone to it. My friend who shows a black gelding and she lets him out and just dyes the mane and tail with hair dye before a show.

Any other advice, tips, etc would be appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back