feeding salt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
who feeds salt and is it good or bad

We always have salt blocks outside for the horses

and if someone doesn't seem to be drinking as much as i'd like in their stalls at night

this time of year i just add a little table salt to their feed

Everyone gets their Triple Crown Lite top dressed with 1/8th cup Omega Horseshine mixed with 1 tsp of iodized salt each day here.

default_saludando.gif
what is iodized salt I give my little guys 3tbl spoons of salt morning and night is that to much or not enough and is salt good for them thay say its bad for us humans

default_saludando.gif
what is iodized salt I give my little guys 3tbl spoons of salt morning and night is that to much or not enough and is salt good for them thay say its bad for us humans
Salt isn't bad for humans. It is esental. The problem is, that we have SO MUCH salt in our diets. Its in everything already...and then we usually add more! lol. You do need some salt though.

The same with horses. Supplementing salt in their diet is important because most horse feeds are low in sodium. Electrolytes are just that. Salt, with added electrolytes, and flavor. I know a lot of top QH trainers that supplement table salt daily with their feed.

Personally, we keep free choice loose minerals or mineral blocks in every turn out paddock and pasture.

Here is an article about the recommended amount of supplemented salt you should feed:

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/feed...feed/eqsalt203/

Salt block in field, and a small one in stall. She loves it, and often licks the one on the wall in her stall. She drinks plenty of water.

Lildrumemr

We have a salt block for free choice, but I also add 1 tsp. of iodized salt each day to their feed. In the summer it helps restore electrolytes and in the winter it makes sure they keep drinking water. The iodine is important, too. They seem to like the loose, granulated stuff better than licking a salt block. I read somewhere that actually horses need the loose stuff and the blocks are more for cattle. Anyone know more about this idea?

Latest posts

Back