Feeding Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Can minis have small amounts of BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds), Oats, Beet pulp, or alfalfa pellets? I don't mean all of that at one time and not large amounts either. I just want to know if all of those are ok if given in small amounts.
default_wink.png

Thankyou in advance.

Absolutely! I have fed my minis all of the listed feeds. There is nothing wrong with feeding them together either but you will want to be sure not to overdo it, especially the BOSS which can really pack the pounds on them if it is overfed.

Thankyou. I was unsure if I could or not since alot of people always say "Don't feed them grain" ect ect. And everyone has their own definition of grain so its hard to tell sometimes.

What is the maximum of the BOSS?

(((I dont have any minis right now but will be getting one or possibly two tonight. We will see. Long story from what all went on last year so I'm starting fresh. again.)))

Its really hard to judge what too much BOSS is since it does depend on the individual horse (size and metabolism) On average I never go beyond 1/2cup but most get 1/4 cup daily. I also feed whole flax (1/4 to 1/8 cup) and alfalfa mix hay (regular grass hay and soaked alfalfa cubes or pellets is about the same). I only rarely feed oats since I find it tends to make my stallions hot and they are already full of themselves lol and beet pulp I reserve for those who need to put on weight or who need alot extra to maintain their weight (weanlings, nursing mares that are dropping pounds) This is just what I do and you will get a different feeding plan from each person you ask, a little trial and error will help you find out what works for your horses based on what is readily available where you are.

Be sure to post pictures of your new additions once you get them. :D

Thankyou for the info.
default_smile.png

If the one mini is anything like I seen yesterday then they both will need weight. We'll see though. I haven't made my final decision yet and I'll be helping bale hay. Their owner is a good person and is trying to figure out why they aren't keeping weight on very well. They have plenty of hay so lack of food (Forage) isn't the reason. I bet there is something going on with worms.... Which is why I posted my other thread on wormers.

Thankyou again for the info.
default_smile.png

I used to use BOSS and have switched to Rice Bran. I use just a little as a top dress, mainly for their coats. As with BOSS, it will pack on the pounds if fed too much. I have also used Beet Pulp. I don't feed oats or alfalfa pellets so can't help you there.

spindleberry something else you might consider too if worming isn't the answer then maybe the hay is too low in protien. I have seen some minis who belong to people who believe they can't eat grain who feed low protien hay and the horses have bellies. a poor top line (back doesn't fill in) and yet aren't exactly skinny. They just lack what I call 'bloom'. This is the reason I like to have alfalfa in the diet.

Thankyou!

I choose BOSS over Rice bran because 1.) The only rice bran i can get around her is the powdered kind, not pellets. 2) BOSS is cheaper then rice bran. 3.) I already feed BOSS to my dairy goats so I have it here.

So I think I'll give them 1cup of BOSS, we'll start up 1/4 a cup and work up gradually of course. And then back off of it when needed. How many cups of alfalfa pellets would be the max for a mini?

I just dont want to do something that'll cause them to founder... I'll see about getting a bag of beet pulp tomorrow. Which do you think would be better, BOSS & Alfalfa Pellets or BOSS & Beet Pulp?

Thankyou!
default_biggrin.png

I hate to hijack a thread, but have a Q about toplines.

Jelly Bean has lost a lot of weight this winter, since we got Lexy. (Lexy eats faster than JB) She needed to loose a few lbs, and Lexy needed to gain alot, so I left them be. Well, now Lexy looks great, but I think JB has lost too much on her topline. She has a slight ridge on her backbone and you can feel her ribs very easily.

I seperate them for breakfast, Each gets: (1lb timothy hay+1/2 ration of TC lite& coat supplement)

Then lunch they get 1 hour of hand grazing or 1lb hay,

for dinner & bedtime snacks they get another 1 /3/4lbs hay & the rest of their TC ration.

My Q is should I give JB some alfalfa pellets(how much) or wait and see if the grass fills her in? They are wormed and see a dentist regularly.

I think a lot depends on what you are planning to do with this horse or your minis....

My breeding minis are run in pastures, guessing each one is about 10-15 acres, and will have broodmares/foals and the stallion, each breeding stallion in a pasture with their herd. Then my yearling and two year old fillies in another, then non-breeding stallions/geldings in another.

They are on free choice pasture (bremuda) 24/7 and free choice minerals.....that's it......all are fat, slick and sassy.

Broodmares are put and grained pre and post foaling, and of course weanlings are grained for a full year......but the rest of my herd live quite naturally out as the grazers they are, since I have pastures.

now onto the show barn....

Show horses are up in the barn, stalled with limited turnout, and are worked several times a week. They each have a specific feed program for them, as far as volume of feed (grain, alfafa, grass hay, beet pulp and supplements) but I have a mare now eating 10 cups of grain (14%) twice a day, pad of 16% protein grass hay in the am, 4 cups of beet pulp mid day and 8 cups of processed alfafa (chopped) at night, and supplements.......and she's just right, she has a high metabolism and is "working" as well.....actually I'd still like to get a touch more condition

So depending on what you are doing with your horse, will depend more on just how much, or at least here it will. A leisure horse out in pasture won't take as much to maintain and a show horse up working of calories.

Thankyou for the replies. Right now I just want to get them at a good weight, dewormed and start working on getting them in shape. These minis are not show quality nor are the registered. They will just be pets. Possibly want to teach them to drive but that'll be a ways off. Thanks again!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back