Feeding Garlic- what are people's thoughts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassie

Reaction score
Hi all,

my miniature pony 2 yr old has got pnemonia... well he is in the final stages of it has been on penicillin for a week and we are about to move to an oral antibiotic to see if that will help clear it up without having to jab him with injections twice a day

I have been looking also at some natural ways of boosting the immune system and helping with the respiratory system. I have just started him on some rose hip granules my local horse supplies place recommended them as they are high in vitamin C and a good immune booster.

I have also been doing some reading on using garlic powder in horses to boost the immue system, apparantley it is excellent for the respiratory tract, as well as reducing flies etc(we are in winter here at the moment so flies aren't an issue)

I have also read though that there are some concerns with using garlic (as there are with many things and for good reason)

I was wondering if the lovely people on here would be able to help with some suggestions on if they have used garlic before whether they found it beneficial or if they have any suggestions for what I can use just to help him overcome the pnemonia obviously I am following the vets orders and he is under a strict antibiotic course I would love just to help that though.
any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I did try garlic for fly control and while it worked ok, the horses weren't thrilled with it, and didn't always want to eat their feed with the garlic added. Some horses eat it just fine. I have no idea how it works for immune boosting.

Perhaps Spirulina would be a good choice, its supposed to help with allergies and immune function, among other things. I've tried and bought from different sources, don't know what the difference was, but the horses weren't always thrilled with the taste, so sometimes they ate it fine, sometimes they didn't. I used it with my Cushing's mare and my senior stallion, both had/have chronic issues, and I do think it helped both of them. Not currently using it, but will likely put them back on it, eventually. [Neither are great about eating their hard feed during summer, they want grass and could care less about grain or pellets.] I bought the wafers from Springtime, Inc its a USA company, so probably doesn't ship to Australia. I bought bulk powder from two different on-line sources, also US companies so probably don't ship to Australia, and I bought a jar of Hawaiian spirulina from an on-line health food store (this was labeled for people, but just spirulina powder, and they ate this one the best, but it was also more expensive being a small jar labeled for people).

Thank you so much for your advice Chanda
default_smile.png
will look up spirulina now and find out some more info
default_smile.png
haven't heard of it before.

I found this great website (I have been actually using the rosehip by them to help him as well) and it gives some great information about herb use in horses might be good information for anyone looking at herbs
default_smile.png

http://www.countrypark.com.au/ look under a-z herbs
default_smile.png
that product Chanda looks really good also thank you again.

Anti-garlic person here. Never seen it do a thing in decades other than ward off Vampires who linger about

Ok thank you Marty for your advice
default_smile.png
that's exactly what I want to find out, who would use it and who wouldn't reasons why etc.

So thank you.

No garlic here--tried it once as a fly repellant and wouldn't buy it again. I noticed no effect at all--flies still bothered that horse, no difference from the others not on garlic.

There is also the concern with garlic causing anemia.

As for your pneumonia -- I can tell you that last year when a bug went through our horses and several developed serious pneumonia I treated them with 5 days of Uniprim (oral)--double dose --and three days of Pre-Def 2X--it was very effective and much nicer than penicillin.

Tried garlic long ago for flies Cassie..only had 2 horses then and it didn't do anything. I don't know what it can/would do to help little Finns respiratory tract.

Chandra...now I think I made a mistake...drats...I did order the human type Hawaiin spirulina and GNC ordered it for me. It was rather expensive for such a small amt. Did your horses eat it? I think what I ordered should be into as a matter of fact. How much did you give? dosage wise?

Cassie, I think its called Wendalls Herbs or something like that we have in the states..all natural blends and there are several types mixed for different things...can products like that be shipped over seas.....natural products?

I myself eat a ton of garlic in my food... My husband is a sport about it fortunately ;)

But Mosquitos LOVE me and my immune system is kind of blah so I don't put a lot of stock in its "health benefits"

I have had bad luck with feeding garlic to my horses. My TB mare ended up dangerously anemic and my mini palomino stallion developed an ulcer. Now it cannot be proven that the garlic was the only culprit. Bug bites and high heat can also contribute to blood disorders. High stress, parasites, stomach trauma or bacteria can lead to ulcers....but both horses were fine before the barn manager started the herd on a garlic regimen (under the direction of a veterinarian). The garlic did not help with the flies, and it put them off of their feed. I do know that researchers claim that it has some beneficial properties, but in many cases it is best used as a cooking ingredient and not a medicinal remedy. I found that bee pollen appeared to be very beneficial to my horse's immune system as did a multi vitamin supplement for the ones not on green pasture or complete feed. If your horse has a compromised immune system; try adjusting things slowly so as not to cause more upset. I love Probios probiotic and beneficial bacteria supplements. Consult with your veterinarian to see if your horse may benefit from this type of supplement. They are not ridiculously expensive and are sold over the counter. I give them to my mini with an ulcer and he surly has improved immensely with this treatment. So much of the horse's immune system is maintained within the gut, it is possible that while being treated with penicillin, the immune system may be further compromised. I have had much better luck with Uniprim powder and Septra antibiotics when treating respiratory infections in my herd. I would have a conversation with your vet and ask about other treatment options.

Chandra...now I think I made a mistake...drats...I did order the human type Hawaiin spirulina and GNC ordered it for me. It was rather expensive for such a small amt. Did your horses eat it? I think what I ordered should be into as a matter of fact. How much did you give? dosage wise?
Will probably be just fine, the dose for a mini is 1-2 teaspoons daily; start with just a 1/2 teaspoon and work up to the full dose (not so much that you have to ease them onto like when switching feeds, but so that they slowly get accustomed to the taste). The people Hawaiian spirulina is the kind I think my horses took the best, but being for people was more expensive than the bulk places.

Thank you everyone for your advice
default_smile.png
it is greatly appreciated. I don't know if we can get uniprim here though it does ring a bell I will definitely find out and I think I will stay away from the garlic

UniPrim is a name brand for trimethoprim and sulfadiazine combo (my current batch is under the Tucoprim name), also the same as SMZ-TMP tabs.

I've used Equi-Garlic for a long time and love the results! I sprinkle one scoop on the feed per day, and I am very happy with the results. Not only does it keep the flies away, but it's also a great anti-oxidant as well!

Liz

Garlic can sometimes cause diarrhea and gas in horses so use it sparingly. Do you have mineral salt? A horse that doesn't have enough mineral salt in his diet will have a lot more trouble fighting infection and healing from infection.

Thanks so much for your wonderful advice
default_smile.png
yes they do have mineral salt licks in their stable that they often have a go at
default_smile.png
I try to keep at least one on hand 24/7 as I think they are fantastic and the horses love them
default_smile.png
my friend suggested an apple cidar vinegar and garlic blend... I was thinking of giving that a go... Anyone tried that at all?

Ok so we're on salt now? I.sprinkle it around the house and I never get evil spirits.....
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

I fed an Arab I had some apple cider vinegar because he had passed some small stones in his manure and we heard it could help break them down so a large entrolith wouldn't form. We went through gallons of the stuff. I don't remember it helping at all for bugs, he had to wear a fly sheet.

Ok so we're on salt now? I.sprinkle it around the house and I never get evil spirits.....
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
That was an addendum to the horse healing from pneumonia. No relation to keeping bugs away ;)

Latest posts

Back