Feeding Garlic- what are people's thoughts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How on earth does anyone get their horse to drink vinegar or eat garlic?

I read this a few days ago, but I was skimming and entirely missed the part that the garlic should be some sort of powder or granules. (I still don't understand how you could get a horse to eat even ground garlic, unless you camouflaged it in some sort of sugary, molasses, high-calorie bomb.)

But in the spirit of experimentation... I was digging up the garlic I planted last fall and had two helpers sticking their heads through the fence helping me (which means they were hoping some sort of food product would fall out of my pocket.) I was thinking about this thread, so I rubbed the dirt off a bulb and pitched it over the fence. Coco (our mare) took a sniff, gave me a dirty look, and flounced off. Baby was more persistent. She grabbed it in her mouth and threw it over her head a couple times and wrestled with it; then she put her little hoof on the stem and tried to sink her teeth into the bulb. The look on her face... I felt bad 'cause she seems to trust me. I helped her rinse her mouth out at the water dish and did a finger-swipe to get out any stray piece.

They did quit hanging out at the fence for a couple hours though; so maybe garlic could be used as a treat-begging deterrent?

If you add small amounts of the garlic or vinegar, you can increase the amount over time and the horse won't mind. A full grown mini only gets a tablespoon max of garlic powder so its not really that much.

Latest posts

Back