Feeding for Winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
I have 2 mares that I wintered through last year, they were slightly on the thinner side by the time spring came around. Teeth floating and worming are done regularly. The winter we had was a bad one, and I am hoping to keep a bit more weight on them this time around. I feed Purina feeds, they are fed CFS Pro Choice Pellets and get Equilizer. I am wondering if anyone else feeds anything from Purina similar to what I can get in Canada, or has any suggestions on additives to put in the feed.

What about the hay? It's the digestion of hay that keeps them warm in the winter, so they need more of it in winter to maintain weight and body heat. Age of the mares? Do they get the recommended amount of the feed for their size and work load?

I second that....It's the HAY that needs to be increased during winter. Grain burns right out of their system rather quickly, but the hay sticks with them.

The mares are 14 and 15 years old. These 2 mares are just pets, nothing strenuous for exercise. I feed, 1% of their body weight in the feeds

daily.Through the summer I limit the hay intake when they are out to pasture. A 30-40lb hay bale per day between them.I have 5 minis total, and in winter they get good quality round bales free choice. ( one between the 5)The other 3 stay in great condition through winter. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be sure I'm following... Are you giving them 1% daily of hard feed plus hay? Or is that total diet? How big are they? [big difference between feeding little 30" minis and big 38" minis.]

I'm feeding some small squares right now to six of my mares (5 B-size, 1 A-size), the bales are like 45-50#, and when they are on just hay they get that whole bale per day; when they are getting grazing time, they get 1/2 bale at night.

I too am a little confused about the feed. In winter i have my herd on grass with hay available at all times. They get a token handfull of meal, but ive never had to feed them up.

1% of their weight in feed. Hay is not accounted in that percentage. The mares are 32 and 33".

I too am a little confused about the feed. In winter i have my herd on grass with hay available at all times. They get a token handfull of meal, but ive never had to feed them up.
In the winter here we don't have grass excess due to the large quantity of snow. That is why I give them feed and their hay.

1% of their weight in feed. Hay is not accounted in that percentage. The mares are 32 and 33".

In the winter here we don't have grass excess due to the large quantity of snow. That is why I give them feed and their hay.
Yeah i assumed as much but 1% in hard feed is not possible. Usually they get 1-2% in hay AND feed as their daily intake.

Oh sorry! I just realized my mistake...Had to re check my math. Approximately 1-1.5% would be hay fed in their diet. They get about 1.5 pounds of feed per day.

Oh sorry! I just realized my mistake...Had to re check my math. Approximately 1-1.5% would be hay fed in their diet. They get about 1.5 pounds of feed per day.
Thank goodness lol

For weight loss, 1-1.5% would be recommened. For weight maintenance 2% is more realistic, for gain it would be 2.5-3%

Up your hay intake and maybe add a higher calorie feed (or maybe add some oil)

I'm in northwest Wisconsin. Remember - when the temps drop below freezing, you need to INCREASE your hay, not your grain, as hay/roughage is what keeps them warm. When the temps go below freezing, I will increase maybe 25%. If below 0 and if there is a wind I might double or even triple the hay.

Edited to add: I will check the ribs and backbones of every horse at least once a week. I take off my gloves and dig my fingers through that heavy coat and adjust feeding hay accordingly. Visual is not enough.

Very pregnant and fluffy Bonny in January 2012. You can see my winter feed plan to her right; they get free choice hay during our coldest months.

Bonny - Jan 3, 2012.jpg

Yes, they do waste some, but it's usually the stemmier stuff.

Our hay quality wasn't there last winter, so despite lots of it, they still lost some condition. This year, I went back on a ration balancer, and they all seem to be doing a lot better; this winter will really be telling as to whether or not the ration balancer is what makes a difference with our available hay/pasture.

During the harshest days of our Maryland winters, where we can be in the teens for a couple of days and even drop to zero but generally are in the 25-40 degree range, my horses get at least 2% of their body weight. I'd rather they come out a tad heavy in the spring than risk they actually get cold or need blanketing.

With that said, last year we experimented with round bales and a slow feeder net over them. This allowed them to "graze" as they wanted to. I must say it was a success and we plan to repeat it this year. I always worried they were not getting enough overnight hay. That's no longer an issue. All of my easy keepers (4 of the 5 mares I have) came out of the winter in decent weights that would only take some good exercise to reduce. They were much happier and relaxed horses too.

Latest posts

Back