Feeding during fall and winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamamama

Reaction score
I know this is a loaded question, but I'm trying to figure out how much hay to purchase once the grass dies out. This will be roughly September through March. I have a yearling weighing about 110 and an 8 yr old that's about 250. I want to buy enough but not too much and plan to slow feed via hay pillows. Also, do you all use round bales or squares?

If you don't have a tractor that can move a round bale, stick to the small squares.

Your yearling is still growing, so you'll want a little extra to cover growth over the winter, better to have a little left over than run short. In general, horses require 1.5-2% of their bodyweight in food daily, the majority should be forage. Basic math, you have 360# of horse, that means you need to feed 5.3-7.2# daily; multiple that by the number of days you have to feed hay; our winter is a minimum of 5 months, so 150 day at least. How bales to buy will depend on how big the bales are; I've seen small squares from 40# to 120#.

Back