feeding broodmares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernmi

Reaction score
Interested in seeing what kind of feed your bred mares are on. How many feed a vitamen with what other kind of feed? Currently feeding Farnam Mare Plus. Also wondering, this area is very selenium deficient and would a regular vitamen suppliment be enough or should I add a selenium supplement too?

Interested in seeing what kind of feed your bred mares are on. How many feed a vitamen with what other kind of feed? Currently feeding Farnam Mare Plus. Also wondering, this area is very selenium deficient and would a regular vitamen suppliment be enough or should I add a selenium supplement too?
Talk to your vet about whether or not a selenium supplement would be advisable with the products you are already feeding. I'm pretty sure they make a vitamin E and Selenium supplement, maybe worth looking into. But, consult your vet as selenium is nothing to take lightly, and you want to be sure not to oversupplement it.

I was planning on it the next farm call, was just wondering if anyone already did both and had already checked in to it and knew if a vitamen was enough. Our area is definatly deficient.

A complete feed like Strategy, Progressive, etc. should provide all the vitamins needed, supplemented by grass hay or alfalfa. Mineral block always available, of course.

I'd check with your vet if you feel further supplements are necessary.

We too lack selenium in our area. We fed Buckeye GroNWin, and provided free choice Buckeye minerals with added selenium (has no salt) and free choice salt with added selenium. This is what worked for us.

I agree with the others to talk to your vet. Buckeye products are not available in all areas and there are other products that work just as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fed Farnam Mare Plus to my mare the last three months of pregnancy and then throughout the time she had the foal on her side. I figured extra vitamins wouldn't hurt her.

Your vet would best be consulted about the selenium. They sell selenium (I have used Super E-SE) that is just a powder supplement... but it can be toxic in large doses so your vet should advise. My vet has also put a broodmare in my barn on copper-zinc supplement as well while she was in foal. Soooo it depends, ask your vet.

Andrea

Find out from your vet if you are in a "deficient" or a ZERO leveled area for selenium and what they recommend.

We happen to be in a ZERO region. Our broodmares and young horses are fed a senior grain that is formulated specifically for this region and does contain the necessary vitamins and minerals, including selenium and E. We also put out salt blocks with added selenium in it for ALL of our horses.

Our vet provides us with a vial of selenium and vitamin E which is administered to each newborn foal as a shot in the butt muscle. The recommended dose from the vet is 1/4 cc for a mini and 1/2 cc for a pony baby.

People who don't like to give shots, will have their vet give it during the 24 hour check-up of a newborn and the dam.

Lack of selenium for a horse can cause "White Muscle Desease". Foals that are lacking in the mineral are usually born with horrible leg problems. However, TOO MUCH selenium can cause a horse to have brain seizures! So it's very important to go over things with your vet.

MA

Latest posts

Back