feeding bran mash

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
what does everyone think of feeding bran mash to minis and foals

is it good or bad ????????????????

I feed bran mash to every one of my horses. I feed equal quantity of mash to feed. So if I feed 2 cups of feed then I also give 2 of beet pulp mash. It helps to hydrate the horses, adds calcium and lots of other things. Great for mommas that are having a hard time keeping on their weight with foal still nursing on them. My foals love it too. They are only a week old but they are stealing mash out of mommas buckets already.

I don't think you should change a horses feed 100%, so I would say no mash after foaling. Now, if you want to wet the feed and add a little beet pulp too, I imagine that's ok, as long as it's not very much beet pulp all at once and is gradually increased, or if she's been getting it before the foaling. But doing a bran mash all of the sudden after foaling when they aren't used to getting those ingredients regularly is not good for their stomachs at all, contrary to old wives' tales. It just messes up the whole flora of the stomach and healthy bacteria (which is already in an uproar due to foaling). JMHO

I"m not going to say its "bad" but this is a very old fashioned thing we did some 30-40 years ago thinking we were doing our horses a great favor. I haven't fed a bran mash now in about 15+ years. That said I am a mash type person who loves to chop up carrots and peppermint treats in a good mash. However there are many better vehicles now to use to disguise meds and provide hydration for your horse such as beet pulp or rice bran. There are a lot of nice properties that beet pulp has to offer rather than bran mash. If you did an indebth search on bran mash, some may even say it can cause harm as its too abrasive to the system. I'm not sure about that 100%, but it has been a concern of some . In the grande scheme of things, bran mash may have its place, but I wouldn't waste my time on it. Here is one of several articles that is available online for you to decide.

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-health/feeding-bran-3151.aspx

Feeding Beet pulp and bran mash are 2 completely different things. From my research beet pulp is good for the horse, bran mash is not as good. It causes issues with the phosphorous and calcium levels.

I used to add bran to my horses grain at night during the coldest part of the winter, but I eventually heard from several sources that it really wasn't so good for them. Now I add beet pulp and hot soak the whole thing - it still accomplishes my goal (give them a hot meal) but is a bit healthier.

I tend to do beet pulp with grain in the dead of summer now, too. I cold soak it and let it sit in my kitchen (no flies) all day and then feed it in the evenings. The extra liquid is good for them regardless of the time of year!

Bran is very bad for foals. It messes with the calcium/ phosphorous ratio. Plus it has no nutritional value what so ever. If you want to do a mash use their own pellets & put hot water on it.

Latest posts

Back