feeding BOSS, a poll and a few questions...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you feed BOSS?

• Total voters

chandab

Reaction score
Just curious how many feed BOSS to their horses.

I fed it for a couple years after getting minis and I thought the horses looked pretty darn good

But, with internet access; I started researching and reading about diets and nutrition, I read BOSS is high in Omega 6s and they are pro-inflammatory, so not the best choice, etc, etc. So, I quit feeding them. Tried Flax, but can't buy whole flax locally, and ordering stabilized flax products just isn't economical for me. So, I"ve tried this and that over the last couple years, some the hroses just don't like, some aren't that economical and the feed room is getting overrun with extras, so I'm looking to try BOSS again, they looked good before and it seemed to work with our available feed.

And, if you wish to share how much BOSS you feed.

When I fed it, easy keepers got 1/4 cup once daily, those that needed more got 1/2 cup. I didn't seem to need more than this. This was for B-size minis. [My half-Arab gelding got 1 cup daily, and 2 cups if he needed a litte more weight (like winter time when it was harder for him to hold his weight.]

Thanks.

I will never feed BOSS again. I did try it once and, thankfully it wasn't one of my horses, but another horse in the barn impaction colicked very severely and the attending vet attributed the colic to the BOSS the horse was getting with his feed. I feed stablized ground flaxseed meal and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chanda, have you looked into Omega Horseshine(ground stabilized flax seed)? Tractor Supply carries it and I've been pretty impressed with that product. It can also be ordered online.

I've used BOSS for years with absolutely no problem. My show horses get it every year and they bloom beautifully

I've been using it a while now, started off using it whole, now I grind it because it suits me to do so, I have to grind the Flax anyway, so I just shove the BOSS in there as well!

The horses all look good on it, and the show horses glow, just after washing, no added sheen.....

I have never had any sort of problem with it, either.

I use it on everyone, not only the show horses and have had no problems at all. I actually get comments on how nice my horses look and I think thats because of the BOSS

I used it before and liked the results but switched to empower as I have a couple hard keepers who really needed way more fat

I have heard a couple say something about colic and Boss before but.. my horses get whole oats and really they BOSS seems to be about the same size as the oats so not sure about the connection with colic?

I used to feed it, but bottom line is my horses don't need the calories--and I had to trim some from anywhere I could. The birds got the rest. Oh--and we have the most gorgeous sunflowers everywhere!
default_smile.png

I feed a 1/4 cup a day to my mini's and 1/2 cup a day to my big horses.

I even put a sprinkling in to my 2 month old colts mare and foal. I have been feeding it for about 8 yrs now, never have had a horse colick or choke .. knock on wood !

Chanda, have you looked into Omega Horseshine(ground stabilized flax seed)? Tractor Supply carries it and I've been pretty impressed with that product. It can also be ordered online.
Closest TSC is 150 miles one-way; however, I did order some on-line within the last year, and my laminitic mare came up sore when I tried, took her off and she was fine (to my knowledge, she had no issues with BOSS). Perhaps it was coincidence and it was something else.

Becky, since you also feed Progressive products, have you add any issues with mixing the Omega Horseshine with Progressive? I know Horseshine has more than just stabilized flax in it. I do like the sounds of it, but after Misty had issues when I tried it, I got a little gunshy.

Chanda, I haven't noticed any problems using Omega Horseshine with Progressive products. If I have a horse with metabolic issues that needs weight, I've used it in the past without any problem. It's recommended for IR/Cushings horses due to it's low NSC. But, not every horse is the same and if you had problems with it, I probably wouldn't use it on that horse again, anyway.

Chanda, I haven't noticed any problems using Omega Horseshine with Progressive products. If I have a horse with metabolic issues that needs weight, I've used it in the past without any problem. It's recommended for IR/Cushings horses due to it's low NSC. But, not every horse is the same and if you had problems with it, I probably wouldn't use it on that horse again, anyway.
I'm trying to find something that everyone can use, so I don't have yet another product in the feed room, I'm trying to simplify the feed room, which Progressive ProAdvantage grass formula is helping to do, but I want to simplify more. [i have several different supplements in the feed room and most I"m going to do away with, as only one or two horses are getting them; so the horses that absolutely have to ahve something, I think I might go with Smart-Paks for them, so I don't have several different tubs taking up space.]

I'm going to try HorseTech's Bio-Flax 20, its a stabilized flax product with biotin added, I can get it from Smart-Pak, so don't have to buy a big container to try it out. I have a sample now, to taste test, but taht won't be enough to see any results, nor see if Misty reacts to it. The added biotin would probably be good for the laminitic girls; who's hooves are starting to look great thanks to my wonderful farrier (he's worked miracles with a couple of these problem "children".

I started using BOSS last year. I get compliments on my horses coat colors all the time. My white horse now has gold flecks and gold dapples that he has never had before. My bay QH has dapples. It adds a lot of color back into their coat and makes them shine like crazy. Just a handful a day per mini and a cup a day per big horse.

I feed BOSS faithfully to all my horses - I have never had any problems with choking or colic.

I even mix a cupful per pail of wet soaked beet pulp.

My horses look great and their coats just glisten, people comment on the sparkle in the manes and tails. I LOVE BOSS and would not be without it.

I also have noticed (when I got a new mare) that had a dry coat with specks of dander in her mane and tail - it didn't take too long for the danderuf(sp) to clear up.

Thank you everyone for the input.

I feed BOSS faithfully to all my horses - I have never had any problems with choking or colic.

I even mix a cupful per pail of wet soaked beet pulp.

My horses look great and their coats just glisten, people comment on the sparkle in the manes and tails. I LOVE BOSS and would not be without it.

I also have noticed (when I got a new mare) that had a dry coat with specks of dander in her mane and tail - it didn't take too long for the danderuf(sp) to clear up.
I'm thinking I might go ahead and add it back to the feed room. I was happy before I read "negative" things on the internet, so I should be happy with it again. Will try it, and if it doesn't work out, the birds will get a nice treat.

I tried BOSS a number of years ago after reading about people liking it here on L, but. I didn't really like the results. I found that my black horses bleached really orange/red in the sun when feeding BOSS, more so than normal, they looked awful! I also didn't really notice a huge difference in their coats when compared with flax. I like the "effects" of ground flax on their coats better, and no icky bleaching. Of course it's easy for me to get the flax too, takes a little more work because I grind my own, but I feel it's worth it.

I fed BOSS for a year and a half a few years ago, (only had big horses ) and fed 1/2 C a day . I didn't find as good of results as I did with the Flax, So I quit feeding it. But I have thought about adding it again since its' not that expensive , they really seemed to love it!

I tried BOSS a number of years ago after reading about people liking it here on L, but. I didn't really like the results. I found that my black horses bleached really orange/red in the sun when feeding BOSS, more so than normal, they looked awful! I also didn't really notice a huge difference in their coats when compared with flax. I like the "effects" of ground flax on their coats better, and no icky bleaching. Of course it's easy for me to get the flax too, takes a little more work because I grind my own, but I feel it's worth it.
Kim, thanks for relaying your experience with sun-bleaching while on BOSS, good to know. I can't get Flax locally; I've tried special ordering it, but can only get pre-ground flax (not stabilized) in 50# bags, so it doesn't keep too well (and I don't have room for 50# in my freezer). I have a couple flax options for on-line ordering, and will probably try BOSS again also.

Latest posts

Back