Feeding Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I finally found some beet pulp for my pony mare. But I tried to give her some last night and she wouldn't eat it. It is shreds and I tried giving it to her dry. Then soaked it and tried that. She wouldn't eat it. This morning I tried soaking the beet pulp and then mixing some sweet feed in with it, but she still won't eat it. She really needs to put some weight on and I can't be feeding her sweet grain all the time as both the vet and I believe that she has Cushings.

I thought some of you might have some tips to getting them to like it.

I recently tried the Blue Seal pelleted beet pulp. I completely soaked the pellets, they expanded to 10-20 times the size of the pellet. So its very important to soak them completely. All my horses just LOVED this stuff. They didn't stop eating until it was all gone. I didn't even add any molasses. I used the flakes, even with molasses once and no one wanted it dry or wet unless they were really hungry. So didn't get that anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine weren't too interested when I first tried beet pulp, so I started out with a very small amount, like less than a soaked cup worth (about 1/4-1/3 cup dry) and mixed in some of their regular feed they like. It only took a few days for them to like it well enough to drop the added feeds. It really is an acquired taste for many horses.

Thanks guys! I guess that I will just have to feed her mostly sweet grain with a little beet pulp mixed in and gradually wean her over to full beet pulp. I want her to be eating it well before winter comes as I know she is going to need the calories.

Sorry duplicate post! Don't know how that happened!

I feed beet pulp to a couple of mine and thankfully they like it. I get the shredded kind, soak it and add it to their regular grain.

Leslie

When I get a horse that has never eaten beet pulp I make sure I drain all the water off and just put a little bit in with their grain. If they don't eat all of the beat pulp from the first feeding, be sure to scoop it out and throw it away before the second feeding. Beet Pulp spoils in hot weather and they will not eat it if it is spoiled. Then try give it to them again at the next feeding. It took my last horse 3 days, to get used to it, but she loves it now. Good Luck!

I agree, it is an aquired taste for some. Gradually increasing the amount that is mixed with their feed seems to work.

Barb

I soak my shreds (which have molasis added) and mix it in with the regular grain. When i first start a horse on beet pulp, i only soak maybe 1 cup of shreds and mix it in with the grain, they normally have no problem eating it as the amount of BP in there is only one cup and only makes a slight difference in their normal ration. Then i continue to up it so they dont really notice.

I've never had a horse not like BP ...as long as its mixed in with their grain
default_wink.png

As has been already posted.........the trick (which has worked for us) is to just add a little bit to their normal grain, and then very gradually increase the amount. In time the picky eaters develop a taste for it.

We don't soak ours (spoils way too fast down here in hot Texas) but add it dry to their feed. Everyone eats it right up!! We feed a mixture of senior, complete pellets and beet pulp, plus a cup of Calf Manna added for the yearlings and my skinny Shetland...
default_wink.png
They look great!

Lucy

We also feed shreds dry because of spoilage problems...our feed mill mixes it right in with the mix. New horses will tend to leave it in the pan the first few days, but then start cleaning it up. When we have hard keepers or it's cold and they all need some extra calories I will soak a bucket of BP and just feed it as a "between meals snack"....they all LOVE that!
default_smile.png
It does seem to be an acquired taste, but once acquired they can't get enough!!! I've found big horse "escapees" all gathered around the beet pulp barrel in the barn just munching away....better than in the grain bin for sure!
default_wink.png

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

She is doing better at eating it now. I am soaking 1 cup dry shreds and then adding 1 cup sweet grain to it right before I feed it. She gobbled it up that way. Now I am going to start uping the amount of shreds in it.

The only reason that I shy away from feeding it dry, is my shreds seem VERY hard. And she is an older mare with not-so-good teeth. We hope that the vet can help this soon so maybe then we can feed it dry.

It sounds like she is liking it already. I hope it helps her gain some weight.

Latest posts

Back