Feeding 3 times a day?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaAH

Reaction score
I have always fed my big horses 3 times a day. I just spread out what they would normally get into 3 feedings. I was at the feed store and I was asking questions about feeding my mini's and when I told her I fed them 3 times a day, she reacted like I was insane. I feed the minis 3 times a day but I don't overfeed. I work from home so it allows me to do so.

That is defintely NOT a bad thing at all! I horse's digestive system is meant to have food passing through nearly all the time, so the more often you feed, the better! As long as you are not overfeeding of course. Frequent meals are actually healthier for the horse. So good job!
default_smile.png

many small feedings a day is definitely the better way to go but most of us can't be home to do that and must settle for 2 feedings instead. I actually think more horses are over fed in 2 feedings than getting several smaller ones since people don't like to see the horses finish too quickly and then wait all day for the next feeding so they tend to feed more to keep them happily chewing longer. JMO

First rule I learned in Pony Club was: "Feed little and often". My big horses always got four feedings (2 flakes of hay in the a.m. plus grain, 1 flake at lunch, 2 flakes plus grain at dins, and a flake at night check which was 10pm). I do the same for my minis (albeit much smaller quantities).

Thats what I do!
default_smile.png
I think its much better on their system if you can do it.

I feed my kids 4 times a day. Breakfast is at 5:00AM, lunch is around noon, dinner is at 5:00PM and they get a bedtime snack around 10:00PM.
default_wub.png

Liz R.

Our hay feeder are always filled and horses are on pasture.

When we lived in SoCal we had two feeder, one for breakfeast and dinner ( Orchard ) and one was always filled with bermuda for nipple and play.

Anita

I'd feed four times a day if they ate enough to warrent it :p Little and often, wonderful words! My guys all just get 2 feedings a day. Three of the horses only get two cups, one gets none, and the other two get larger feedings, 1 and 2 quarts. Those two would benefit from another feeding, but they get to graze all day so I don't worry.

First rule I learned in Pony Club was: "Feed little and often". My big horses always got four feedings (2 flakes of hay in the a.m. plus grain, 1 flake at lunch, 2 flakes plus grain at dins, and a flake at night check which was 10pm). I do the same for my minis (albeit much smaller quantities).
When I had horses....
default_unsure.png

Come October and the cold they would get grass hay 3 times a day and their feed morning and night..now mind; mine came in each nite and went out on pasture all day (yukky pasture). Once winter kicks in I did as Matt does. Fed feed twice a day, a wee snack mid day, hay 3 times daily and then at 10pm a good amount of hay for the cold nites.

I have always been of the same school of thought Matt....feed little and often. Horse are browsers they need it. A little goes a long way and they're so happy to see you come with a flake to fluff round.

If we were able to, we sure would feed at least 3 times a day!

Horses are grazers so feeding several times a day just HAS to be good.......

Three times a day here and more in winter if you want to count the hay times also.

In winter, I do grain am and pm and then soaked beet pulp for lunch.
default_saludando.gif

In the cold, they get hay in the am before they go out, then hay plus pasture when they are out, then hay after pm feeding and then more hay around midnite especially on those freezing nights. I don't want their stomaches going empty with out roughage during the middle of the night.

I grain morning and evening but my minis get hay 3 times a day, sometimes 4 in the long summer days.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back