Feeder Suggestions needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmiraclesfarm

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my mini barn right now. I'm looking to buy all matching accessories for each stall. My question for all of you that have stalled minis what do you prefer for feeding in. Buckets? Ground buckets? Corner feeders? Then what do you do with the hay? Throw it on the ground, put in an additional feeder or a hay bag? I would like some pros and cons of everyones setups. Pictures, ideas also welcome.

This is what I've been looking at doing.

BRB11.jpg

But now the problem with these, they are not made in mini sizes. All full size horses. Would these be too big for my guys?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to do this right the first time, and I know you guys would be the best ones to ask.

I throw my hay on the ground, in a corner (that's the most natural thing, no?). As for grain, I feed it in the rubber feed bins on the ground, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use buckets for grain in most of my stalls, and hay goes on the rubber mats (on the "floor"), which is the most natural way to eat. I do use black rubber feed tubs of various sizes - on the floor - for the mare and foal, and the ones that aren't stalled. They are very safe and the minis use them as toys when they are done eating, but they can spill. Even with this set -up, which I have had for several years, I found a foot in a feed bucket the other morning. Mine do tend to get in trouble, but at least he was smart enough not to struggle and let me lift the foot out. I since raised the bucket just a bit higher. I am afraid some of mine would try to hang themselves on those pretty feeders in your post!

For my hay i found the best thing is corner feeders...and for water the best thing ever is flat back buckets its great!!
default_saludando.gif

we still use the black rubber bowls from time to time but they always kick or paw them over and dump the food.

In the stalls, we use those round hook eyes screwed into the wood and hang the small flat back plastic bucket with a double clip. Rarely do they spill the food this way. We pick up all buckets as soon as they are done eating and do not leave them in the stall.

It's also easy to fill all the buckets with their particular feed and just go down the row and drop over the bucket. We mostly use the black color and have different colors too if someone is getting something different or special, then they are assigned a particular color (yea, we're weird).

For water we use the 5 gal flat back bucket with the eye bolt and double ended hook.

For hay, we have small - goat size - black metal hay racks - they don't take up much room and are much smaller than regular horse size. They hold one flake perfectly. I ordered them and they were somewhere between 11 and 13 bucks each. If interested, I can provide the catalog or website they came from.

I use the small fence feeders for grain attached to the stall, and hay on the stall floor. I don't like wall feeders because as the horse pulls out the hay they can get leaves and chaff in their eyes and nose.

We bought these from Horse.com, and like them. However, our mare can knock it around a good deal, sometimes right off the fence. I think if someone was handy, they could make these
default_smile.png

Abetta®Half Barrel Feeder

High impact poly feeder with welded steel hay rack.

Mini feeder features a half-barrel with iron rack and is perfect for miniature horse or goats.

Sizes

Mini- 14" x 20"

Medium- 21" x 18"

Large- 28" x 23"

For hay, we have small - goat size - black metal hay racks - they don't take up much room and are much smaller than regular horse size. They hold one flake perfectly. I ordered them and they were somewhere between 11 and 13 bucks each. If interested, I can provide the catalog or website they came from.
I'd like that information, please post it or PM me, which ever works for you. I have a couple I'd like to put feeders up for; although, I too mostly feed at ground level. Mare group in a sheep round bale feeder and others have cracked water tubs (they toss the hay out of these, but at least they start out in something).

Click to full view

Insideofstalls.png

My hay has always gone in either a small hole haynet or a corner manger.

Of the two the corner manger is preferable as it can hold a lot (half a bale up) and the horse is eating off the ground but with the hay contained.

It negates the necessity to keep going out and putting more hay in!

I have seen those feeder in small size. Here is the link to Country horse supply www.horse.com/Abetta-Feeder-Large-BRH23.html They have something similier they come in mini sizes. This one is slightly different but I have also seen those same one in mini size. I knowi saw those in mini size it was in a catalog, I will see if I can find it. I feed my in a 4 quart pail. I don't particularly like the black rubber buckets as the are hard to clean. I use small palstic water pails mini size for water. i use bigger pails as pictured in Martys post for turn outs. As for hay I put it on the ground accept for my big horses they get the racks because it keeps they occupied.

As requested - try this link:

http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/?&q=hay rack

http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/?&q=hay%20rack

Been a year since I bought mine for 11 or 13 bucks. These are alittle different but still only 17 bucks and now they have DOUBLE ones for 22 bucks that feed both sides of your stall. I'd go for that next time myself - sounds pretty economical to me for a 2 for 1 deal.

They stand 9" from wall and hold a flake of hay.

We hang ours low enough that they aren't eating from underneath and avoids some debris from falling onto their heads or eyes.

Let me know if the link doesn't work ~ the website is ENASCO.com and go to the Farm & Ranch section for hay racks. I noticed now they also have durable rugged plastic hay racks too that say "indestructable". Hmmmm

we still use the black rubber bowls from time to time but they always kick or paw them over and dump the food.
In the stalls, we use those round hook eyes screwed into the wood and hang the small flat back plastic bucket with a double clip. Rarely do they spill the food this way. We pick up all buckets as soon as they are done eating and do not leave them in the stall.

It's also easy to fill all the buckets with their particular feed and just go down the row and drop over the bucket. We mostly use the black color and have different colors too if someone is getting something different or special, then they are assigned a particular color (yea, we're weird).

For water we use the 5 gal flat back bucket with the eye bolt and double ended hook.

Thank you!

We bought these from Horse.com, and like them. However, our mare can knock it around a good deal, sometimes right off the fence. I think if someone was handy, they could make these
default_smile.png

Abetta®Half Barrel Feeder

High impact poly feeder with welded steel hay rack.

Mini feeder features a half-barrel with iron rack and is perfect for miniature horse or goats.

Sizes

Mini- 14" x 20"

Medium- 21" x 18"

Large- 28" x 23"
I seen these too, but to me they looked flimsy, and the way they are cut didn't look smooth.

As requested - try this link:http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/?&q=hay rack

http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/?&q=hay%20rack

Been a year since I bought mine for 11 or 13 bucks. These are alittle different but still only 17 bucks and now they have DOUBLE ones for 22 bucks that feed both sides of your stall. I'd go for that next time myself - sounds pretty economical to me for a 2 for 1 deal.

They stand 9" from wall and hold a flake of hay.

We hang ours low enough that they aren't eating from underneath and avoids some debris from falling onto their heads or eyes.

Let me know if the link doesn't work ~ the website is ENASCO.com and go to the Farm & Ranch section for hay racks. I noticed now they also have durable rugged plastic hay racks too that say "indestructable". Hmmmm
Is this the one you got a year ago? http://www.enasco.com/product/C25279N I found this one when I used your link and then started looking around the site a little bit. Freight gets a bit much to my area, but the feeder has a good price to start with, so I think I might buy 4 and give them a try, then decide if I want to buy more.

Thank you for the link.

I have 2 of the size medium feeders that Little Bits posted a link to. I really like them....they are safe, sturdy and it is recycled material put to good use. I got them during a free shipping promotion last winter. It turned out to be a great deal!

I have seen those feeder in small size. Here is the link to Country horse supply www.horse.com/Abetta-Feeder-Large-BRH23.html They have something similier they come in mini sizes. This one is slightly different but I have also seen those same one in mini size. I knowi saw those in mini size it was in a catalog, I will see if I can find it. I feed my in a 4 quart pail. I don't particularly like the black rubber buckets as the are hard to clean. I use small palstic water pails mini size for water. i use bigger pails as pictured in Martys post for turn outs. As for hay I put it on the ground accept for my big horses they get the racks because it keeps they occupied.

I HAVE THE HAY FEEDERS AS WELL (THE ONES IN THE LINK). I HAVE THEM IN MY STALLS AND RECENTLY PURCHASED THEM FOR MY RUN-IN SHEDS WHEN IT IS RAINY OUTSIDE. I JUST BOUGHT 4 AND THE SHIPPING WAS VERY REASONABLE. THEY ARE NOT VERY HEAVY AT ALL AND FAIRLY EASY TO HANG UP.

Back