Feed room?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt's Fault

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
How many use an enclosed trailer for a feed room? I have a 6x12 that is a dedicated feed/hay room. I like the fact that I can tow to the feed store and they load the bags and hay. Saves me moving almost 1000lbs each trip. No issues with critters getting into it and it was much cheaper then building a dedicated building. 16509944295481072814031586928794.jpg16509944625506934728206547872152.jpg

The old chest freezers as grain bins bring back memories! I worked at one barn as a kid where they had one of those. They'd just fill the entire thing with loose sweet feed and you had to reach in and scoop it out. When it got low it was a bit of a hazard, especially if you were short, I got stuck hanging upside-down a few times. Kept the mice out of the grain, but trapped the barn rats! 🤣

At my barn there are a few enclosed trailers that are used for hay storage, and there is also one used as a shelter for the donkeys and goats!

Wow! What a great idea. I too have cement floors but store my feed in their original bags inside trash cans and hay on wooden pallets. I only have 2 trash cans, one for the ration balancer and the other for grain for the horses who need more calories. My grass pellets are stored on the wooden pallets next to the hay, along with any shavings.

I heard hay is suppose to have air flow and some ventilation, have you heard that or had any issues?

I'd love to have an enclosed trailer to store feed, as I buy in bulk, and have to schlep it all from pick-up to feed room. I'd still use my feed room, but having the extra stored in a trailer would be awesome, especially the feed store pick-up portion of the deal.

[QUOTE="Kelly,
I heard hay is suppose to have air flow and some ventilation, have you heard that or had any issues?
[/QUOTE]
I have a roof vent that stays open with a rain guard over it and the side door and rear ramp are open all day. The semi trailer at the feed store stay closed and it takes them a few weeks to empty one. The purpose of pallets on a concrete floor is that the concrete can wick moisture from the ground and sweat into the hay causing mold. Also since the hay is transported inside no worries about getting wet in the back of a pickup if it rains.

Nice feed room.

Some Tips For An Ultra-Organized Feed Room. If you agree you can implement.

Use feed bins that hold a full 50lb bag of feed, stack, and seal to keep out the critters.

Keep everyone on the same page with supplements. Each horse gets a set space for supplements.

Prevent Spills And Keep Liquids Contained

Create A Central Command Center

Keep the most used items in the handiest locations

Keeping those extra tubes of wormer, the Pepto, along with other misc in one handy bin can save you lots of money and time not buying double of things you know you have stashed somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back