Feed Recall!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxs

Reaction score
I don't know why we horse folks didn't know about this!! It was sent to me by a friend who got it off her dog list!!
default_unsure.png

1-800-227-8941. Phone number for Purina

Here is what I found out. There is a recall from products made @ the

Statesville, NC PLant that distributes to North and South Carolina and

parts of Southern VA.

Florida has 2 of its own plants in Florida.

To be sure look @ the bottom of your bag for a Date Code. If the Date

Code starts w/STA-it was made in Statesville. The time frame is from

11/17/07 to 2/1/08.

Products affected: Cournty Acres: Horse Sweet 10, and 12

Horse Pellets 10 & 12,

Equine Senior dated 1/5/08

Horse Chow 100 dat ed 11/3/07 & 12/10/07.

The woman @ the 800 number was very helpful, if you have questions she

said to call the above number or call your dealer. Purina sent out

notification to dealers that are carrying the product.

Bumping this up.

I don't feed Purina Senior, but I think there are other people on here who do.

Our local news carried a story about a guy in our area that lost one horse, has another recovering from what they believe to be botulism poisoning, possibly related to this feed. (Still in the process of testing at press time.)
default_sad.png

Bumping up..they are saying it is no problem , but have now closed the Statesville plant! It looks like some of the dealers have discontinued selling Purina and have gone to Nutrena. I read that Statesville didn't have any quality control in place. Purina went in and trained them how to do CC..but apparently it didn't help.

If you live in the Carolinas or Virgina, please check your dates. w/STA 11/17/07 to 2/1/08.

The reason it never got to us is because they are not calling it a recall..they are calling it something else. But, when a manufacturer has retailers send the product back for safety reasons, to me, that is a recall. They are just trying not to ensue a panic. If it quacks like a duck...it's probably a duck..

This burns me up because I feed Equine Senior. But I dump the bags into barrels then throw away the bags. So how on earth am I supposed to check this?

default_wacko.png

Wow! I was wondering why our feed store no longer carries ANY Purina products! I asked, but they gave no explanation, other than, they just decided not to carry Purina any longer.
default_unsure.png
I had to switch from Purina Strategy to Nutrena Safe Choice, since they no longer carry Strategy now. I'm am happy with the Safe Choice at least. But wow, after reading this...the feed name "Safe Choice" suddenly seems rather ironic.
default_unsure.png

Wonder what is really happening with Purina that it's bringing dealers to drop them completely???
default_sad.png

Bumping up..they are saying it is no problem , but have now closed the Statesville plant! It looks like some of the dealers have discontinued selling Purina and have gone to Nutrena. I read that Statesville didn't have any quality control in place. Purina went in and trained them how to do CC..but apparently it didn't help.
Does anyone know if this plant closed due to Quality Control/missmanagement (sp?) issues or was it possibly ecominic issues? JoAnn, where did you read of this? Do you have an article link?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Item #0041937 on the bag.
default_no.gif

Why is this sweet being recall.

My husband brought home a bag today. We didn't feed it to our big horse, because we were worried.

we feed our minis safechoice, but our big horse has always had sweet feed. This was our second bag of country acres sweet 10.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back