Feed questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
I was wondering about feeds. I currently feed a sweet feed, special recipe that I got from an older horseman we bought our first Arabian mares from. We feed this to the miniatures and big horses. The big horses do great on it, but only feed it to them in the winter as they are on pasture all summer. My miniatures get about 4-5 hours of turn out on pasture per day, plus 4 cups of this sweet feed per day (feed twice a day) and than in the am and late evening, they also get a small amount of grass hay to nibble on. A few of them look really nice and fit, but the others are over weight. I am wondering what would be the best feed to put them on? Or do they even need to have grain? Am I feeding them too much? I think the yearlings would need it right? The mares that are over weight are 30" 31" tall. They are also in foal for next year. I dont want to compromise their nutrition but I know that they are not healthy being over weight also. Was thinking of a ration balancer and oats. They all have a mineral/salt block, fresh water, and are current on worming. I would like to keep feeding time simple, too. Any thoughts or info would be great. Thanks
default_smile.png

I'm a huge fan of ration balancers, I use one made by Progressive Nutrition. You only feed the oats if the horses need more calories, like if they aren't maintaining their weight on the grass and hay. No matter what, you give them the recommended amount of balancer so they can meet their nutritional needs.

Also, most, if not all, companies that make balancers also make a fat supplement for horses that need more calories. Progressive makes Envision, and one pound of Envision equals three pounds of oats, calorie-wise. It enables you to feed less but still give them the calories they may need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to feed a ration ballancer Buckeye Gro N Win with oats and it just did not keep them "filled out" like they are now on Omlene 200. What i do right now is Omlene 200 2x a day (morning, night) and then Buckeye Gro N Win for lunch with oats. It works for what i am doing and i think they look very good this year. I always feed a good quality hay, actually have our normal hay guy mix up special hay for us that is (about) 75% orchard grass and 25% alfalfa.

As far as them being overweight, im guessing the ones on pasture are the overweights? Are you giving them hay or just pasture turnout for them hours? I would bring them in off the pasture (slowly) and put them on the hay and maybe decrease the grain (depending on how much your feeding right now of course) until you get it to where you want them and they are fitted.

Latest posts

Back