Feed Prices went up again

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I went to buy dairy feed for my critters today and it cost $91 for 5, 70lb sacks
default_new_shocked.gif
$18.23 per bag!!!!! It was $3 less just three weeks ago
default_no.gif
Geeze times are getting bad
default_new_shocked.gif

Well then its cheaper to feed horses then ...
default_wink.png

Well fuel is down ...$3.59 per gallon in town ....im pretty happy with that.

Price in grain hasnt changed much lately for us ..i feel Purina Omlene 200 ...have not noticed any big change in price, except maybe a few cents but no big deal really.

Yep...I noticed the same thing this month with our feed bill. We are now paying $2 more a bag for a 50 lb. bag of Triple Crown Senior. I spoke to the owner of our store...that was quite a jump...she told me they were all pretty much going up.

When I said "wow that's a big jump" the girl said "yeah everything is really expensive right now." After I paid and was walking out she apologized. I didn't think that was necessary but I thought it was nice
default_yes.gif
It's not like it's their fault
default_rolleyes.gif

The good thing is that my guys don't actually have to have the grain right now. We were giving it to Buddy just in case we were going to butcher him. But I am pretty sure I will win that battle with my husband and my Father so I can cut them all back. They have plenty of grass and I will still give them a good helping of their grain each day...just not as much.

I feel bad for livestock business owners. Times must be pretty rough right now for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I started buying Buckeye it was $18 a bag--and that was just a few years ago---last bag was $32.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
Good thing one last for 4-5 weeks!

Yes it is. I bought 6 bags of hay stretcher, 6 bags of 12% horse maintanance (for the biggies) and 4 bags of hay cubes and it was 240.00, yikes!

Just in a few yrs out grain went up 3 dollars a bag!!! I used to think the grain was the cheap paer of having a horse, not any more!!!

Boy do I know
default_wacko.png

Stopped by the feed store yesterday and my Red River Sr Feed had gone up from 9.70/bag to 10.90, my unmedicated chick starter was over $13.00/bag, and the corn chops I feed the mature chickens was over $11.00/bag. Guess the mature chickens are going to have to learn to like scratch whether they like it or not.

To top that off my feed dealer that I have bought from for over 30 years is retiring at the end of August and closing the store. They can't sell it because it is grandfathered into their farm and unless a family member is an owner it can't continue to operate so after 42 years in business I'm loosing my store and I can't find anyone who carries this brand of feed unless I want to drive 2 hrs each way to go to the mill and get it.
default_no.gif
So now in search of a new feed for the horses and just me, but I hate Purina and that is what is sold around here mostly.

I finally 'gave up' on Purina, for various reasons, and have fed(and LIKE) Triple Crown for about three years now. I use Complete, Senior, and Lite, depending on the horse.

Here, each of those seems to run the same; when I began using them, I believe they were about $14.00-$14.75/bag. In recent months, it has been higher virtually every time I buy it(which is about once ever 5-6 weeks); last time it was $18.75/bag!! Even salt blocks have skyrocketed--there is almost NOTHING more plentiful and simple to 'package' than salt blocks, even the mineralized (which are now $7.75 for a 50 pounder!--I KNOW that freight/hauling costs are in the stratosphere, but I also have to wonder if some of the increase on something like this isn't just 'taking advantage'??-it happens, you know.

This is frightening, esp. for those of us who are on fixed incomes. I already gave up my 'big' mare, to my sorrow--and now, must face cutting back on the numbers of my minis, all of whom are mature or senior, and don't even require the 'extras' that young stock would. (And Brandi's post didn't even MENTION hay-where a whole 'nother set of price pressures is going on!!

Hopefully, it is not QUITE so bad for those w/ miniatures, but it bodes VERY ill for a LOT of 'big' horses due to overbreeding and overproduction at ALL levels. I strongly feel that NO ONE should breed ANY horse these days unless they are FULLY prepared to provide it a lifetime home--that is the ONLY way that is fair to animals produced!

Sorry; didn't mean to get on the soapbox...but, this IS a serious issue, and is very likely to become even more serious....

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post Margo
default_yes.gif
You make a lot of very good points

I finally 'gave up' on Purina, for various reasons, and have fed(and LIKE) Triple Crown for about three years now. I use Complete, Senior, and Lite, depending on the horse.
Here, each of those seems to run the same; when I began using them, I believe they were about $14.00-$14.75/bag. In recent months, it has been higher virtually every time I buy it(which is about once ever 5-6 weeks); last time it was $18.75/bag!! Even salt blocks have skyrocketed--there is almost NOTHING more plentiful and simple to 'package' than salt blocks, even the mineralized (which are now $7.75 for a 50 pounder!--I KNOW that freight/hauling costs are in the stratosphere, but I also have to wonder if some of the increase on something like this isn't just 'taking advantage'??-it happens, you know.

This is frightening, esp. for those of us who are on fixed incomes. I already gave up my 'big' mare, to my sorrow--and now, must face cutting back on the numbers of my minis, all of whom are mature or senior, and don't even require the 'extras' that young stock would. (And Brandi's post didn't even MENTION hay-where a whole 'nother set of price pressures is going on!!

Hopefully, it is not QUITE so bad for those w/ miniatures, but it bodes VERY ill for a LOT of 'big' horses due to overbreeding and overproduction at ALL levels. I strongly feel that NO ONE should breed ANY horse these days unless they are FULLY prepared to provide it a lifetime home--that is the ONLY way that is fair to animals produced!

Sorry; didn't mean to get on the soapbox...but, this IS a serious issue, and is very likely to become even more serious....

Margo

Latest posts

Back