Feed Opinions Wanted

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mock2Farms

Reaction score
Okay.. Well I have been searching through the forums the past couple days and not finding exactly what I want to know. I am changing my feeding program due to the OUTRAGEOUS hay prices ($350/ton+) and not being happy with results. They are all on regular exercise schedules.

Currently I am feeding them all Strategy/Hay with coat supplements. Hard keepers get beet pulp. The hay is a good quality alfalfa/grass mix.

I am think about switching to a 50/50 complete feed and Alfalfa/Grass pellets diet. I was going to top it with crimped oats and give the harder keepers soaked beet pulp still. They will still get a coat supplement on top. Of course amounts will be customized to each.

I am considering feeding equine senior to all as I have had good results with it in the past. What do you think about Equine Senior? If you don't like it what would you suggest given the diet I want to change to? What do you think of the diet in general? It is similar to what I keep my big halter horses on and I am very happy with the results. Granted they may have different needs. It is kind of "Much" compared to what they are getting now and they will be transfered gradually!

I am curious to hear opinions, success/failure stories with feeding hay pellets, what complete feeds you like, etc. I think I have access to most feed brands.

I really like Equine sr and jr but wow they went thru the roof here! I also like alfalfa pellets. But I still always feed some fresh hay. I feel strongly that they have to have some fresh hay or pasture grazing time or you end up with problems due to boredom etc.

I really like Equine sr and jr but wow they went thru the roof here! I also like alfalfa pellets. But I still always feed some fresh hay. I feel strongly that they have to have some fresh hay or pasture grazing time or you end up with problems due to boredom etc.

Thank you for responding! They all get out daily for turnout or excercise. They also can see/touch each other when in their stalls. I was thinking of possibly giving a small amount of a soft grass hay at lunch just for boredom.

ETA: We do have a SMALL grass area we let them out on but not on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like both Purina Equine Junior and Senior for minis. I use complete feeds for part of the hay (but it's more expensive than the hay). I use my co-op's senior pellets, which were formulated by Kentucky Equine Research. I chose theirs over Purina because they had a little more fiber which I prefered. It is 14% protein, 5% fat, 18% fiber. I am happy with the results.

We like the Dynasty Pro and Sr and have found they work best with alfalfa cubes vs a grass hay. Not sure what the deal is with that??? lol Of course like everything they have jumped in price too. I think they've went up $4.00/bag since we started using them over a year ago.

Add us to the list of happy Senior Grain users.......... We don't buy the Purina brand because Equus Blue Ribbon manufactures a senior complete feed here in the NW, formulated FOR the NW.

I have used Equine Senior in the past for my big horses and liked it. However my feed store no longer carries Purina products so I am using Triple Crown Senior. Along with that I give them a good quality timothy hay and they get pasture in the spring and summer. Triple Cown Senior is a complete feed but I still give the boys their hay and pasture.

Edited to add this link:

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/seniorfeeding.php

Latest posts

Back