Feed Help for Mare Weaning Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
Yesterday we were finally able to wean our dwarf filly from her dam, at nearly 8 months. The filly, named Connor (Who's my avatar
wub.gif
), was doing great condition wise but her dam was not. Honey, the mare, went into her pregnancy underweight (not horribly, but enough that not feeding enough for a pregnant mare made her go down) and I had tried to do my best during the last two/three months of her pregnancy with the resources that I had. Surprisingly she foaled out better than we had expected. She was not as skinny as we had expected.

Now, I've been trying to add weight onto her the best I could and of course that didn't change because of her filly. Had her filly not have been on her side I believe that I would have been able to add some weight onto her. We changed her feed from Purina Strategy to Purina Omelene #300.

This mare is a dwarf mare. Please don't harp me on why she was bred in the first place. Believe me, we had her separated from our stallion the entire 2009 breeding season, but my dad decided to let our stallion in with her. Why? He likes the little ponies because they're cute.
no.gif
We found this out later this summer/fall after the filly was born, and Honey was separated again from the stallion. I have been keeping a very close eye on the goings on of this mare, and have even quit going to Youth Group and Track because I knew that if I wasn't there to guard this mare that I would be expecting another foal in 2012. So, please don't bash me on this subject. I had absolutely nothing to do with it other than the fact that I spent my entire summer break waiting for this mare to foal because we didn't know when she was "due". I spent three months without sleep for her and worried myself sick on many occasions. Thankfully a perfectly (well, as healthy a dwarf could be) healthy filly was born as has since filled my laugh with many wonderful memories.

Now that we're past that little tid bit, I will get on with Honey's condition.

I do not have any current pictures of her that show her condition. But, I can describe it.

You're able to feel her ribs and hip bones pretty well. Her spine is prominent but is covered with fat still.

Currently, I was feeding her 2lbs of Omelene #300. That's a 1/2 lb more than suggested for a 200lb mare who is lactating. Should I continue on with this amount, or not since she is not feeding a foal? Bump up or not?
unsure.gif

I hope you guys understand what I'm going through. I'm trying my best for her, and she's the last one that needs to gain weight. I've fought hard since the last year to take care of my horses, while my dad still insists that I feed them oats or corn for grain. Not happening as long as I live on the same land as them and pay for their feed.
wink.gif

I also want to add that all of my other horses are doing pretty good considering everything. So I don't want you guys to think that they're also skinny minis. Since I changed their feed everybody is now feisty little monkies, whereas before they wouldn't have dreamed of galloping randomally. I have learned that good feed can change a lot about a horse. Not just physically, but mentally!

Also, to ohmt, you've helped tremendously with my broodmare Bow. She is doing great and is due to foal in about a month. She'll be 300 days next week. Just thought I'd update you!
aktion033.gif

Thanks a lot. You guys are great with answering all of my questions when I need it.

-Julia

EDIT: This mare is also about 28'' tall and eats just like my other horses (most of whom are above 30'' tall)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will start to see her steadily gain now that the foal is weaned. That makes a huge difference. I am not familiar with Omelene 300 but have heard its a good feed.

If your hay is not top quality I would also give her soaked alfalfa cubes.

I think you will start to see her steadily gain now that the foal is weaned. That makes a huge difference. I am not familiar with Omelene 300 but have heard its a good feed.

If your hay is not top quality I would also give her soaked alfalfa cubes.
Thank you. I do have alfalfa cubes just in case.
smile.gif

Next time, try weaning the foal a few months earlier. As early as 3 months, if necessary. The foal is a HUGE drain on the mare's resources, and can survive just fine on its own with grain at that age.

Also, to ohmt, you've helped tremendously with my broodmare Bow. She is doing great and is due to foal in about a month. She'll be 300 days next week. Just thought I'd update you!
Thank you Julia!! You are doing great with your horses and I can't wait to see updated pics (hopefully??) when it's a bit warmer and everyone has had time to shed their winter fuzzies
default_smile.png

I agree with kaykay in that you should see her gain more weight now that her foal is weaned. I would go ahead and start giving her 1/2 lb more of omelene 300. I've always had to feed a bit more than what is suggested for all purina products, but try not to more than a lb or so. Make sure she's good on worming too. Other than that, I'd wait a few weeks and re-assess. Hopefully she'll have gained some more weight for you. If anything, I add a vegetable oil to those having trouble keeping weight and you might want to try that. It's good for adding extra calories without having to add grain.

Keep up the good work!!
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks guys! I do have vegetable oil, which my vet said would work for adding some more calories (I had her out on Friday for a gelding appointment.)

I'll try to get some more pictures to show you.

@Nathan Luszcz, we actually tried to wean Connor, the foal, in January but deemed it unsafe for her since she was a dwarf and also because we didn't have adequate lots for the three groups we needed to separate. (Stallion w/ Colt, Mares w/ filly/gelding, and the foal) At the time we only had to two different lots and I was wary about the risk of inbreeding since my colt at the time was acting very studly. (Gelded him on Friday! Huzzah!
aktion033.gif
) At the time the risks out weighed the benefits.
unsure.gif
Right now we have it perfect.
yes.gif

Back