Feed Comparrison Shopping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I do this every couple of years. Its not only educating myself, but its interesting and also mind boggling and just plain fun to do on a rainy day.

I go to the websites and find the feeds I am using and also of the ones that I am thinking about. Copy and paste, print out the guaranteed analysis on paper, where I can really sit down and compare ingredients side by side. Then I call the store for price information to see where the best bang for my buck really is. Going over the content to see why some feeds are so high priced compared to others is very interesting. For instance, some added biotin and beet pulp which would drive up the price tag but there can't be enough of it in what we feed to even bother with it. So in my case for instance I wouldn't worry about that since I feed an adequate amount of beet pulp anyway and we have no real need for biotin so its good to take those things into consideration when choosing your feed.. Its amazing how some feed companies have changed their ingredients over the years and added so many new feeds to their lines also.. I'm actually very enthusiastic that I found some feeds that include rice bran and probiotics as well which is great for my Quarter Horse. Take the time and do some research and enjoy!

This has been a public service announcement.
default_thumbup.gif

I did that when searching for low starch feeds for a possible laminitic horse. It was, indeed, very interesting. I am "anti-corn", and "wheat midlings" are waaay down on my list of desireable fillers. I also found that feed companies are usually very happy to send you ingredient lists if you email them or call.

I did find that internet sites that show available dealers were very inaccurate.

Interesting Marty! Thanks!

I attended a dinner/seminar put on by our local feed mill (where I buy our feed, currently Purina) on Tuesday. I'm starting to reconsider our feeding program as a result. Well, for the 5 easy keepers anyway. And its interesting you mention probiotics. I've used them in the past but after I used up the last container, I just never got around to adding it back in. The speaker at the seminar questioned how a probiotic even makes it through the acid bath in the stomach to actually get to a part of the intestines/colon where it would be absorbed. I'm curious to hear what others have to say on the matter.

I'm seriously considering moving to a vitamin/mineral only "feed". I plan to have our hay analyzed to see what we have there and if anything that could be missing/low would be be effectively managed with just a supplemental feed like the Enrich products by Purina (or any of the dozens like it by other manufacturers).

Of course, I'll make no changes until we're out of winter and I've got everyone clipped to see where we stand body condition wise.

This if one of my hobbies Marty. Course, in this area, it is more of a necessity since I have limited product available to choose from. I am pretty picky. I WAS getting Progressive Ultimate concentrated ration balancer with free shipping from Idaho. Last time I waited 3 weeks for the order, called and they lied by saying the delay was from their distributor, and miraculously my bags arrived the next day. This was the fourth time. Ulitmate for anyone interested is the BEST feed of any kind I have ever used. I feed 2 oz 2X daily and they all did wonderful. So now I am goind back to Enrich 32 since a local feed store who has new competition can now get it in for me on a regular basis. It was the best of my choices available and not my favorite but it will do. I can't get Triple Crown, ADM, or Purina mini horse feed. I also use beet pulp in winter, and found that if I soak mini cubes from Idaho that they love it and it smells so good. So those are a few of the things we use and our hay is always from different sources; whatever I can grab that isn't moldy by driving whithin a 3 hour radius. When I can I throw in Karbo Combo (amazing product, well worth the price it goes a long way), stabilized rice bran, Safechoice, alfalfa, just depends on the horse, and the time of year, of course also what I can get. I absolutely hate when I have them on a regular diet and then I can't get that product. When that happens, I find something I can feed ongoing.

This if one of my hobbies Marty. Course, in this area, it is more of a necessity since I have limited product available to choose from. I am pretty picky. I WAS getting Progressive Ultimate concentrated ration balancer with free shipping from Idaho. Last time I waited 3 weeks for the order, called and they lied by saying the delay was from their distributor, and miraculously my bags arrived the next day. This was the fourth time. Ulitmate for anyone interested is the BEST feed of any kind I have ever used. I feed 2 oz 2X daily and they all did wonderful. So now I am goind back to Enrich 32 since a local feed store who has new competition can now get it in for me on a regular basis. It was the best of my choices available and not my favorite but it will do. I can't get Triple Crown, ADM, or Purina mini horse feed. I also use beet pulp in winter, and found that if I soak mini cubes from Idaho that they love it and it smells so good. So those are a few of the things we use and our hay is always from different sources; whatever I can grab that isn't moldy by driving whithin a 3 hour radius. When I can I throw in Karbo Combo (amazing product, well worth the price it goes a long way), stabilized rice bran, Safechoice, alfalfa, just depends on the horse, and the time of year, of course also what I can get. I absolutely hate when I have them on a regular diet and then I can't get that product. When that happens, I find something I can feed ongoing.

I am still having problems getting my posts up, and edit hasn't worked for me yet.

Anyway, I ave always been a big fan of probiotics and Ration Plus.

We really like this "Fat & Fiber" feed that our co-op makes and KER formulates. Great for minis and it's low starch (so NO corn). The price is very competetive, and I think it's one of the best feeds out there for minis. Also love their "Old Timers" senior pellet for late term pregnant - nursing - foals - yearlings.

http://www.ker.com/tmbr/cfc/products.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes look at other feeds, but in the end I always stay with Triple Crown 30% Supplement. I was looking at the new Purina Low starch feeds, but I'd have to feed more volume in pellets than I do now so it doesn't seem worth it in the end, because they certainly don't need more! I'm more of the school of thought if it's working no need to change it!
default_smile.png

On supplements I do tend to review what is new, because sometimes there is a better deal with similar ingredients. I do feed probiotic supplement and I think they do help. I give it to one mare that tends to get looser manure (almost a cow pie) now and then, and I do it in the fall and spring when temperatures are going up and down as I do feel it helps the immune system. For supplements I mainly do ground flax, joint supplement for my senior mare, Remission for the easy keepers and then a probiotic and electrolyte powder as needed.

Feed, Triple Crown low starch, to my horses, because it doesn't have alfalfa millings in it.

I do have one mare that does need a little extra and only she gets a little, Nutrena Safe Choice.

Have been told that Blue seal is really good, and once I moved here, decided to give that a try. Needless to say, even their low starch one, made my horse's higher than a kite. Not feeding that again.

Will stay with the Triple Crown.

I feed the best, most consistent, safe, awesome feed. So I don't comparison shop. Been feeding Buckeye Gro 'n Win for many years, with amazing results....would never think of feeding anything else
default_smile.png

Im one of those people who is always out looking for something better as far as feed goes. Ive been through blue seal, triple crown, nutrena, purina, ADM, etc. I have never been less satisfied as I was with Purina Mini Horse and Pony feed, I fed it over this past summer.

That said, I have found a food I am absolutely in love with. Purinas new Equine Senior Active Healthy Edge. They are marketing it as a senior feed, but I contacted both their nutritionist, as well as my vet, and it is safe for all ages. Ill be honest, I clipped my horses already. Yea, I know, super early in the year. They went to a horse expo, and needed clipped for it. They are like two fat rats up in the barn blanketed.

Now, neither of my horses have been worked or bathed since last august. They have been on free choice hay all winter. They got turned out every morning after breakfast, and brought in every night for dinner. Through the day they got free choice second cut grass hay in the field (just filler hay, honestly, not nutritious, and not the only hay I rely on). I clipped them and WOW. They have never been in better condition. I could show them tomorrow. Domingos coat shines like glass, and he hasnt been bathed in 7 months. For the past few years, his coat wasnt dappled. I was pleasantly suprised to find HUGE dapples when we clipped him. I normally feed a coat supplement and muscle supplement for my horses to get them show fit. Until a week ago, I was only feeding hay and the senior active. Now, I did just add beetpulp, and mostly because I wanted to get extra water into them, and I like to cutback my hay in show season a little, so I use it to replace some hay.

I believe they say its a low starch feed also. It doesnt make my horses hot. I have one who gets completely nutty on Ultium, hes fine on this. Price wise, its reasonable. It's $18 a bag here. Strategy is $16.99 a bag here, and I had to feed supplements with it. My horses looked good on ultium, but acted like turds, and its $23 a bag here.

If you cant tell, I absolutely love this feed.

Latest posts

Back