feed alternatives

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
This is not for me personally because thankfully we should have enough hay for the winter but I have had several people ask me what they could feed their horses if they run out of hay.

Most of Oklahoma and Texas have had a very bad year for hay and for most, having it trucked in from out of state is not an option.

So, what do those of you who do not feed hay feed your horses?

Mary

Just somethings that I have used in the past to stretch/replace hay:Complete feeds:Alfalfa cubes/pellets:

Beet pulp

Blue seal also makes a hay stretcher pellet that I've had luck with.

Sorry to hear about the shortage.

Just somethings that I have used in the past to stretch/replace hay:Complete feeds:Alfalfa cubes/pellets:

Beet pulp

Blue seal also makes a hay stretcher pellet that I've had luck with.

While these are great ways to stretch limited hay, it would probably be better, if you think you'll run out before next hay season, to start the horses on these products now and stretch the hay supply, rather than relying on them to replace hay after you've run. Horses need long stem fiber in their diet for digestion and gut health.

Beet pulp should not be more than 50% of the total diet (and shouldn't replace more than 40% of the fiber portion of the diet).

Hay cubes, alfalfa and/or grass, have enough fiber length to be a good subtitute for long-stem hay; but horses eat them rather quickly, so dividing into more than two feeds a day is better.

Pellets - the ingredients are ground rather fine, so little long-stem fiber benefit. Although, horses have been put on a strickly pelleted diet and do fine.

Another alternative is a true "complete" feed, that is -- one that can be fed as the total ration WITHOUT hay. This is not the same as a "fortified" feed, that is -- one that has just had vitamins/minerals added to it. Complete feeds can be identified by the fiber percentage on the guaranteed analysis (will usually be in the high teens to 20's), and/or will be identified on the bag and/or the feeding instructions, indicating they can be fed in the absence of hay. Don't be surprised at the volumes required to be fed though (don't think in terms of 1-2 cups with a complete feed) -- remember it is replacing feed AND roughage/hay/pasture.

Robin C

Thank you for clarifying me, Chandab. I never meant that they should replace all the hay. In fact, I feel that hay cannot be totally replaced, horse need to chew something and if not hay, it will be fencing or stalls.

Also I side with Robin_C on the warning that it takes a good bit of complete feed to replace hay, in my experience it has been 2 pounds feed to replace a pound of hay mind you this was with hard keeping full-sized horses.

Thank you for clarifying me, Chandab. I never meant that they should replace all the hay. In fact, I feel that hay cannot be totally replaced, horse need to chew something and if not hay, it will be fencing or stalls.

Also I side with Robin_C on the warning that it takes a good bit of complete feed to replace hay, in my experience it has been 2 pounds feed to replace a pound of hay mind you this was with hard keeping full-sized horses.

I've always read the opposite... As in, one pound of complete feed replaces two pounds of hay (probably depends on the quality). Because the complete feed is nutritionally balanced and such. But, the complete feed is a much smaller volume of feed, so the horse thinks he needs more and may start chewing on wood. You know, not enough to keep him occupied for a long enough time time to satisfy his chewing needs.

Ask your feed store about shrink wrapped,kiln dried hay that is offered under several names.Dengi,Triple Crown forage are 2 that I know of.50 lb bale here runs about $14, but it goes a long way and is hay.comes in a grass mix or alfalfa.I have used it on my foals for years&it keeps great.I just put the bag in a big trash can and scoop out what I need into a bucket.the horses love it and it is very easily digested.You might be able to stretch your hay using it.

Thanks everybody,

I will pass this info on to whoever requests it. There are at least 3 people near here that have not stocked up on enough hay and are desperately trying to find it now. The hay situation in Oklahoma is so bad that some of the farms even round baled their dry corn stalks for cattle forage. Pastures that have been empty for years and are full of weeds have been baled too.

We are very fortunate in that we have put enough hay in the barn to get us through the winter with some to spare but a lot of people with horses and cattle are not so fortunate and I am afraid there will be a lot of horses going through the local auctions and selling to slaughter buyers just because there is no hay.

Grass hay is up to $8.00 bale here right now and no telling what it will be when the weather gets cold.

Mary

If I were looking at a hay shortage I would get the Timothy/alfalfa cubes and soak them. Along with beet pulp and bran, and a complete feed. And feed in AS MANY small feedings as you can squeeze into 24 hours.

Thanks everybody,

I will pass this info on to whoever requests it. There are at least 3 people near here that have not stocked up on enough hay and are desperately trying to find it now. The hay situation in Oklahoma is so bad that some of the farms even round baled their dry corn stalks for cattle forage. Pastures that have been empty for years and are full of weeds have been baled too.

We are very fortunate in that we have put enough hay in the barn to get us through the winter with some to spare but a lot of people with horses and cattle are not so fortunate and I am afraid there will be a lot of horses going through the local auctions and selling to slaughter buyers just because there is no hay.

Grass hay is up to $8.00 bale here right now and no telling what it will be when the weather gets cold.

Mary
My FIL and husband talk about how dry it was in the 80s around here. There was no grass or alfalfa to speak of for baling. They baled Kochia to feed to the cows, the cows ate it and did ok; but not like when they are on good hay.

It was really dry here this year; so we were only able to put up about half our normal hay amount for wintering the cattle. We are going to stretch their hay supply with cake (ground grains that have been pelleted, usually the screenings from cleaning wheat and other grains). We do have enough round baled good hay for the full-size horses and I have about 200 small squares for the minis (60 of those are really nice bales I bought; the rest my FIL put up and have varying amounts buckbrush and wild rose in them, so I'll be throwing out alot of crap, but the grass in the bales is really nice and they were put up without rain).

Latest posts

Back