Favorite Halloween Movies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
We're big Halloween goobers here (especially since it's the day before my birthday), so every year we start watching Halloween movies in September, but by the time we get to the actual holiday we're scraping the barrel.

Here's what we've covered so far this year:

Hocus Pocus

Sleepy Hollow

Casper

Dracula

Monster House

The 'burbs

The Harry Potter series

Drag Me to Heck

Interview with a Vampire

The Others

Zombieland

The Blade series

Shaun of the Dead

The Scream series

Halloween (the first one)

28 Days Later

And tonight we're going to see Cirque du Freak. We're going to be at Fright Fest (Six Flags) on Halloween, but we've still got a week leading up to it, and new movie recommendations would be great. We're not a big fan of gornos, but I'm sure some people here like a good scare, so what do you guys watch around Halloween?

Halloween movies I enjoy in general - however I usually watch most of these year round (aside from the first 3)

Hocus Pocus

Mr. Boogedy (REALLY corny movie from my childhood)

Casper (the one with Bill Pulman and Christina Ricci)

Zombie Land

Resedent Evil 1-3

Harry Potter movies

Frankenwienie but have not seen this one in a while ( did you know Tim Burton is redoing this)

VanHelsing

I know there are more but I cant think of them at the moment.
default_rolleyes.gif

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein #1 !!!

The Time of their Lives and Invisible Man (Old Abbott and Costello)

Practical Magic

Hocus Pocus

Jeepers Creepers

Casper

Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Jason & and all the Michael Myers (ones scare me to pieces)

Ones that terrify me and are gross outs but we have them
default_smileypuke.gif

Quaranteen!!!!!!!! (NO NO NO)

Rest Stop

Vacancy

Wrong Turn (OMG NO)

Awww...memories! That movie still cracks me up everytime I watch it. Did you watch "The Bride of Boogedy" too? Both of them are really good!

I LOVE watching scary movies, but at Halloween, there's certain movies I always want to watch - some of which aren't all that scary. Some of my favorites are...

Hocus Pocus (can not go with out watching it every Halloween)

The Harry Potter movies (can you say obsessed much?)

Mr. Boogedy & The Bride of Boogedy

Casper

Beetlejuice

The Monster Squad

The Goonies

Edward Scissorhands

Garfield's Halloween Adventure (30 minute cartoon)

The Halloween that Almost Wasn't

Zombie Land (new favorite - already seen it twice)

Haunted Honeymoon

28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

The Watcher in the Woods

Sleepy Hallow

And no matter how old I get, I can not watch the original "The Fog" without it bothering me. That movie has scared me since I was 5 years old, and it still gives me the creeps!
default_sad.png

Great topic!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are good at this! There are some I'd totally forgotten about and others I've never even heard of--should be fun tracking some of these down. I totally forgot about Rocky Horror Picture Show too--still gotta watch that this year!

Awww...memories! That movie still cracks me up everytime I watch it. Did you watch "The Bride of Boogedy" too? Both of them are really good!
Nope I have not seen Bride of Boogedy. Unfortunately our copy of Mr Boogedy is shot too and I can only find burned dvds for sale and I dont know which place is trustworthy to purchase it from!

I FORGOT THE GRUDGE!

Last night we watched The Exorcist. It was very very good.

Want to see the Blair Witch Project and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Forgot about the Adams Family and Adams Family Values. Also, for some reason this time of year I always really want to see Labyrinth and listen to the soundtrack.
default_laugh.png

The Exorcist

Poltergeist

Those are the two best horror films ever!

BTW Did anyone see Pandorum? What an awesome sci-fi horror film! It didn't get much press, and I'm not sure why...

I love John Cusack and have to say 1408 (2007) was one of the best thrillers I have seen by far. I like vampire movies, but the realistic kind.

If I have to pick on its gotta be Hocus Pokus. I just love that movie. I don't need the scarey ones because with a 16 year old I'm always getting dragged to the movies to see the bonechillers lol.

As a sidenote of that - anyone see 'The Collector" a few months back. YUK, GROSS gave me nightmares hahahahha

I love little "gems" of movies that you may otherwise never see...

If any of you are fans of zombie movies, and maybe enjoyed "Zombieland" (which I did love!) you should check out a little film called

FIDO

It is a cross between a zombie movie and "Lassie."

Great production value for such a small movie and I just loved the plot. Quite a gem!

Andrea

I love little "gems" of movies that you may otherwise never see...
If any of you are fans of zombie movies, and maybe enjoyed "Zombieland" (which I did love!) you should check out a little film called

FIDO

Great production value for such a small movie and I just loved the plot. Quite a gem!

Andrea
So Fido's really a good one then? My brother wanted to see it really badly, but I don't know why we never have. We'll definately have to get it from Netflix! I had forgotten all about it until I saw your post.

The Pet Cemetaries 1 and 2 are good. Watched #2 last night. There are so many good ones out there its hard to choose.

Cloverfield

Dreamcatcher eeww

The Ring

All the Scary movies lol

All the Final Destination movies

All the Resident Evil movies

War of The Worlds with Tom Cruise

And lots of the ones already mentioned.

Oh yeah 13 Ghosts

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I'd put this thread up a few weeks ago--now I'm wondering how I'll get through all of these!

Forgot about the Adams Family and Adams Family Values. Also, for some reason this time of year I always really want to see Labyrinth and listen to the soundtrack.
default_laugh.png
Definitely an Addams Family fan, and Labyrinth reminded me of one of my favorite movies as a kid--another one Jim Henson worked on too--The Witches.

If that isn't an intriguing plot...
default_laugh.png
Btw, if anyone has a dorky sense of humor and likes cartoons a good one with a Halloween theme is Making Fiends. They've got a bunch of episodes up on their site - www.makingfiends.com.

The Pet Cemetaries 1 and 2 are good. Watched #2 last night. There are so many good ones out there its hard to choose.
I dont remember which one it was but that truck accident ghost Victor was the scariest thing in that movie!

THE CORPSE BRIDE! And the Nightmare Before Christmas.
default_biggrin.png

Havent seen it yet (going on Halloween) but "Paranormal Activity" is supposed to be good I heard.

Also, Night of The Living Dead is a classic old movie. I saw it when I was 6!!
default_new_shocked.gif
(my parents thought Id fall asleep like I always had before at the drive- in...well, not this time....OMG!!
default_new_shocked.gif
) LOL!
default_laugh.png

ok horror and gore fanatic here. all the freddie movies ( especially the last one wes cravens new nite mare), all the evil deads (love bruce campbell) , body bags, and of course if u don't have kids present the best is faces of death, but the only one to ever give me nitemares (i was only 7-9) was westworld yul brenner was scarey in that

Latest posts

Back