Favorite Coat Colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniponyparties

Reaction score
I can't decide on my favorite.......I was wondering what color you think would be the flashiest.

silver buckskin

smokey black/grulla pinto

grulla (dark)

Those are pretty colors. My favorites are:

Buckskin

Palomino

Grey

Silver Dapple

Double Dilute

default_yes.gif

Of the 3 colors what one do you like overall?
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Of your three favorites, I would probably pick silver bucksksin... but that said, it comes in a lot of shades
default_yes.gif
(I like 'em all!)

I really prefer solid colors to pintos, but that's just me (most people probably like pintos better than solid).

ETA, with color, everyone likes something different and all colors have their fans
default_yes.gif
Plus, of course, there is no such thing as a bad color on a good horse.

I LOVE black and white flashy pintos, I have none. The 2 that I did have where -1 big horse that kicked my husband for no reason (horse loose in pasture ran by and kicked him--auction barn) 2 infertil poor quialty mini stud (sold to family with a geld agreement for their child--he was very sweet). My big horse now is a App sorrel. My minis are stud-solid Palomino, colt-App Silver Dapple, mares- App Blue Roan, 2 pinto Sorrel, pinto bay, and a pinto Silver Dapple. Quilty over color anytime.

I love the very dark silver blacks with a pale silver/white mane and tail , years ago I saw a cowboy film with a silver black ( dapple) in and thought it was the most beautiful thing Id ever seen ! I also love palomino , buckskin and spotted , I dont think theres any that I dont like but bay would be bottom of my list

537367_4525057719233_625693702_n.jpg

407844_4480379762312_2090647325_n.jpg

430823_4480332121121_1391375770_n.jpg

Im a huge bay or buckskin fan! NO white marking anywhere!

Roaning is a huge plus too!

Out of 7 horses I own, 3 are bay, 3 are buckskin, and 3 of them are roaned!

ETA, with color, everyone likes something different and all colors have their fans
default_yes.gif
Plus, of course, there is no such thing as a bad color on a good horse.
you have that right!

BUT - if I can choose a color to wrap the "right horse" -

I like dark silver dapple (a "chocolate"), noticable dapples in the "silver", tobiano paint pattern w/ 50/50 white, if mane/tail are mixed - the flaxen needs to be dark enough to be noticed separate from the white.

I love my dapples - but don't have that combination (YET,
default_pray.gif
).

My 2nd favorite would be a roan (very definite color characteristics). I'd prefer "blue"
default_drool5.gif
, but would also go with a red, bay or silver roan. Want spots, too. I've not had any true roans. I would like both a solid and a tobiano spot!

Other than that, I've never owned a golden palomino (or any palomino). However, I do own a cremello mare, so when I find the right stallion, I might end up with a palomino foal (she also carries bay agouti, so could get a buckskin).

THIS IS FUN!!

I love bays and buckskins, ESP with pinto thrown in. So, I would have to say the silver buckskin as long as it isn't washed out in the color department.

Of the colors you listed I would have to say Grullo with pinto thrown in for flash. I don't really have a favorite color but really like the pinto pattern.

Black with stockings are my absolute favorite
default_smile.png

But, I am really a fan of any color, except wild bays and lighter chestnuts. I don't like bald faces either unless the head of the horse is really excellent.

I'm going to show, so I needed advice on what color would be the flashiest.
default_smile.png

My favorite used to be white/gray (nothing prettier than a solid white/gray running liberty in the arena), but any more my favorite color is the one I'm looking at or clipping at the moment. I am not really fond of the real dilutes like a pale palimino or cremello's but get me to groom one and the hair is beautiful too.
default_smile.png
Crazy.

I'm goofy because for me it depends on the breed for what colors I like.

Arabians: fleabitten grey, black, bay, bay sabino, and chestnut (must be dark chestnut or bay though)

Thoroughbreds: dapple grey, dark bay, dark chestnut with thick blaze and leg markings

QH: dark dapple buckskin, grullo, red dun, palomino,double dilute, dunskin, dunalino (no white or very very little)

Paint: black with any pinto markings (really love sabino and splash), dark bay tobiano, dark bay sabino

Minis: leopard appy (any color spots though LOVE black), black pinto (any pattern though love splash and sabino), double dilute, palomino, dapple buckskin, silver buckskin, silver dapple, deep chestnut, deep bay

Gypsies: black tobiano, bay tobiano, buckskin with thick blaze and leg markings, silver dapple.

Yeah I'm a bit odd, but most definitely quality over color

When you show, it ReALLY doesn't matter the color of the horse!!!

When you show, it ReALLY doesn't matter the color of the horse!!!
Correct, but it should have a good shine and healthy color on the coat. Not from sprays but from good feed and nutrition.

Latest posts

Back