Favorite Big Breeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always was Morgan. Andalusian & Thoroughbreds were right up there. With the way the Morgan breed has gone I'm not sure that I'd still rank it as my favorite breed. Now I'd be inclined to say Saddlebred or Thoroughbred.

Quarter Horse!

If I could get my hands on a Gypsy Vanner I'm sure that would be my favorite! I love their look and if they're as gentle as people say they are, what more could you ask for?
default_wub.png
:

I like a nice coloured cob, especially one with lots of feather, or really anything that is heavy or drafty. I prefer the bigger draft horses (Shires make my heart go pitterpatter) but I am physically incapable of caring for a horse that size so something pony sized but still drafty works for me.

ARABIANS!!! For their beauty, their fluid and dreamlike motion, their amazing human like personalities
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Well, lets see Icelandic's :bgrin.

Could not ride these now a days because most are trotting breeds..but worked with Highschool Andalusian barn for a number of years and will always love those horses, and then Fell, Meren, Fjords, Canadian, Nordland, Highland, suffolk punch (all traditional height and build,,not the super sized ones), well you get the idea.
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
My all-time favorite is the Arabian. [My first horse was a half-Arab gelding and 21 years later, he is still the love of my life.] I also like Quarters and Paints. For drafts, I really like the Brabant (traditional, smaller Belgian).

I will add Tennessee Walking horses, just dont think you can go wrong with one.

Trakehner, Hannoverian, QH/TB cross (my palomino mare was one of these and she was my friend for over 25 years until I had to help her over the bridge at 36 years of age).

Yvonne

[SIZE=14pt]Tennessee Walking Horses
default_yes.gif
: , I would love a Fjord gelding too
default_wub.png
: . Nikki
[/SIZE]

I have recently come across the Dutch Harness Horse... wow-wow-wee-wow!

Majesteit20042.jpg

Majesteitbody1.jpg

This is a stallion called "Majesteit"... oohhhh..... he's 16.2 hands tall and his foals are just as spectacular as he is.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a morgan x standardbred now for riding (though I very rarely ride anymore). If I were to get another riding horse at some point, I think it would be a gaited one (probably a TWH).

Paso Finos....I love the smooth gait, long flowing manes and tails, the pride exhibit especially when hearing their own foot steps and wonderful temperments.

Mine would have to be.............. JULIE!!!
default_wub.png
: She's my half Morgan, half Arab.

MA

Hard to pick one as I tend to just love horses for there differences and similarities.

Arabians and Saddlebreds top my list.

For riding enjoyment I have to say hands down the Peruvian Paso's are the best I have ever ridden, and they aren't bad to look at either
default_wink.png
:

Welsh are another breed I absolutely love especially section A and C.

I've had two awesome riding horses in my life, first was my Saddlebred she was the best horse ever and smooth as silk. Then there was the big ol unfortunate looking standardbred who was steadfast and bombproof but akin to riding a jackhammer :new_shocked: :new_shocked: that horse could trot faster than most horses could gallop and if you didn't know 2 point you were in for a rough ride
default_wacko.png
:

Both of these horses would go anywhere, and do anything for any rider I put on them they were the once in a lifetime type of horse and I miss them both.

Back