Fat Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcpminiaturehorses

Reaction score
I have a beautiful pintaloosa mare that had major problems with her first foal. It was severely stuck and had to be pulled. This was four years ago. This mare is so fat she had a big fat buldge in front of her bag. She gets no special treatment, minimal grain, plenty of excercise (never in a stall, she's out in the pasture with the other brood mares) but I'm not sure where to begin to get the extra weight off.

We held off a year on breeding her back and now I can't get her to stick. What can I do, if anything. I figure the weight doesn't help at all but I'm not going to stall her and barely feed her to get the weight down, I'd rather her not breed if I had to do that.

I was hoping someone else has had this problem and found a solution or any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris

My mini was extremely fat and has been on such a diet he thinks he is fixin to starve to death, just ask him LOL I dropped his feed/pasture slowely and he is now getting maybe a 1/4 cp of feed a day, is dry lotted for all but about 5 hours a day. Since we have had a ton of rain and everything is green ( should be brown and dried up) its even more important that he stay off the good grass. Has taken time, but he is trimming up.

Besides the other ideas mentioned, have you had her thyroid checked? If she is low, the meds are very inexpensive, will help her lose a little weight and she will get pregnant easier if treated.

Latest posts

Back