Farrier Table??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
I love my farrier for my riding horses. I've never had him trim my minis before because I've always done it myself. I was trimming my big guys long before I got minis. However, I had to switch my gelding to shoes for hoof health reasons (go figure) so I got a farrier. And he's great.

Last year I was pregnant and unable to trim the minis by myself once my belly got in the way (now I know why you don't see pot bellied farriers). My farrier trimmed my minis for me twice but told me it was just for this year because they killed his back. Now I have a new baby AND two more minis. I'm wondering if I can build a farrier stand/table and convince him to still trim them for me. Kind of like a sheep shearing platform. Does anyone have a raised set-up for their farrier?

I’m hoping that someone on here has such a set up that I could copy as well. Shasta and Coady are both small pony size at 40” and 39” respectively, but Rosie’s 30” stature is hard for our farriers! (We have two wonderful ladies who tag team on our two special cases, Rosie and Shasta.) I would love to be able to build a set up that would work for the farriers and be safe for my little girl.

Mine only has a gate on one side, so useless for the farrier. I tried to teach Dapper Dan to back UP the ramp. He did it one time but I couldn't get him to do it again. I thought if I could back him up onto the stand, it might work for the farrier. My farrier just sits down on the ground; it doesn't seem to bother him. May he be ever young and supple!!

My farrier wears thick leather knee pads and just walks around my minis on his knees becoming the perfect height. I noticed he uses the rasp like a cane to push himself back up. They love him.

I called my farrier today to ask about getting the big guys trimmed and shoes on my riding horse and he said "You aren't going to make me get on the ground and do those little guys again are you?" But he did add that they are easier than my FIL's horse who is 1/2 percheron. Those big guys tend to put all their weight on the poor farrier. That's who we really need a stocks for!

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
If you have a step-up trailer without a divider, you could put them in there perpendicularly to have them trimmed.
Or buy a few plastic/wood pallets, stack them and there you go. Wood will need gaps filled in, plastic needs rubber on top one.
I've thought about a stand, but I find it easier to just kneel or sit.

An older friend had a stand for his vet to use to take coggins and give shots and things like that. He had like 45 head. Basically a ramp they walked up to get to a small level standing area. Had brackets on both sides with wood slat railings that could be taken off easily to do 1 side, put back on and go around to the other side and repeat the process. He would stand on the ramp at the head of the horse. Should work to trim feet I would think. Worked for him.

Latest posts

Back