Quantcast

Farnam Wipe Fly Repellent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Kootenay

Reaction score
Has anyone used Farnam Wipe Fly Repellent, and found out that it causes an allergic reaction? I tried this on my Quarterhorse mare last week, and holy cow did she ever have a reaction to it. Her skin swelled up in bumps and welts from it. My miniature horse is fine with it though, and has never had a reaction or a problem.

Am I guessing that i need to cut back to something gentle like Avon Skin So Soft for her?. I do also have Absorbine concentrated fly repellent. I thought that I could mix that up in a weak solution and spot test her.

Here is the link for WIPE (if you are not familiar with it): Wipe Fly Repellent

What i'm going to try concentrated? : Absorbine Concentrated Fly Repellent

(This is the first horse I have owned that has ever had a reaction, so this is all new to me).

Thanks in advance,

:Kim

Charlene

Reaction score
i've used it in the past and never had a problem with it. it sure sounds like a bad case of hives. my old quarter horse mare used to get them in the summer and i'm pretty sure it was a reaction to bug bites even though i used repellents. i would have to give her an injection of an antihystamine (sp?) to clear it up.

can you rule out any other reason for a case of hives? new/different feed or hay? bugs?

i have a terrible reaction to bug bites, they make me itch for weeks and i always feel horrible when i see the horses being bothered by bugs!!

Ashley

Reaction score
I have never used it. But I do own a mare who is allergic to the feed through fly control stuff. She has the same kind of reaction if given it.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Hi Charlene,

Yes, it is the bug bites that swelled up. It rained after though, and she had a good roll, and the hives/welts went away. The bites only looked more inflamed from applying the product. I sure won't be using that anymore on her, and my vet is going to give me a crash course in Benadryl, or a shot of antihistamines. I sure do not want to go through that again.

Have to add--have not changed her feed either. I also checked the pasture for toxic plants. Nothing out there but buttercups, and I sure hope it isn't them. The horses don't eat those thank goodness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minimor

Reaction score
We used to use Wipe a lot & never had a problem with it. However, all horses are different so there's bound to be some that have a reaction to whatever product you may choose. Same as people. Look how many people can take ibuprofen with no problems. I take it and almost instantly I'm covered in hives.

Charlene

Reaction score
glad they went away quickly! my old mare would get them the size of a nickel all over her body. i always kept a shot handy for her, poor thing!

Latest posts