Farmhand and/or other Computer Wizzes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
OK, I bought a new laptop...a cheapie "Acer", but just wanted something I could work on at home, as well as take with me when I go somewhere so all my files and programs are there, so I can work doing my web updates away from home when needed. It hAS vISTA Home Premium installed.

Anyway, I am having some problems, that may or may not have fixes, and am sure you'll have answers.

1. I hunt and peck when i type, and I am forever hitting the wrong keys. I often hit the caps lock key, only to look up and realize that I HAVE TYPED A LOT IN CAPS. (OOPS! like now!!) My last 2 computers (desktop models) had an option that allowed me to disable the caps lock key, so it wouldn't lock in, but would only work if I held the shift key. I have looked through the setting and keyboard properties but can find nothing pertaining to this. Do you know if this would be on here, and maybe I am overlooking it somewhere?

2. Secondly, as i said, I hunt and peck to type, and another thing i AM FINDING IS THAT it somehow copies and pastes what I am typing, while I am typing, without me knowing how it is happening, and again, wondering if I can turn this off, as it places a line of words in the middle of something I have already typed. It is quite frustrating!

3. Lastly (at least for now) when using my old computer whenever I was at the forum, I could read a message, click the "back" button, and it would automatically refresh the page and showed it "faded" as being read. That way it was easy to always see what i had read and didn't, and know where I left off. Now I have to manually refresh the page each time. I could not find an option that I could check to automatically refresh with each visit. Am I missing something...is there some setting I can change to make it do that?

4. Sorry, just thought of one more thing! I run Norton, and got my subscription transferred over to this computer, but now my Norton Spam is not working, as it seems Windows "Junk Mail" program has taken over. Is there any way to make the Norton my default spam program? I tried to delete the Junk Email folder but it would not let me.

5. OOPS! I promise, this will be the last!! I am not allowed to save any files loose to my c-drive! It tells me I do not have permission to place anything there, AND i TRIED SETTING PERMISSIONS AND AGAIN, IT MAttered not, and still won't let me. It has a dual core processor, and allows me to save it to "D" drive, the other side, but not on C.

By the way, i REALLY hate these new "wide" screens as no matter what the resolution is set at, the websites all look different, like there is a waste of space on each side of many websites and the graphics look smaller or stretched out. DANG I HATE CHANGE!!!
default_wacko.png

I'm looking forward to some of these answers. The only one I don't have the same problem with is #3 on mine it fades like it is supposed to but that might be the difference in brands of computer.

Hi Mona,

I'm not sure on the caps lock disable, but I think you should be able to turn off spell check in the tools/settings or tools/options tab. (Sorry, I don't use Vista yet, I'm putting it off as long as I can, so I'm sure I've got the tab labels wrong, but hopefully you know where these are.)

And on the C:\ drive for saving files, (sigh - Microsoft strikes again!) I would suggest that you try creating a folder under the C:\drive, like "work" or "files" and then save your files to that folder.

Re: Norton vs. Windows Junk Mail tool, again I think you go into tools/settings and change the default. Hopefully someone else here on the forum will be able to give the exact location of that option.

Re: Refreshing web pages automatically on each visit: In Internet Explorer, you click Tools, then Internet Options, then under the General tab, look for the Browsing History header and click Settings to the right of that. In the new window that pops up you'll see options for Temporary Internet Files - click the radio button next to "Every time I visit the webpage."

Sorry I can't help on the other items, but maybe this will help alleviate some of the frustrating behaviors, at least...

Lori

The permission thing is a pain. Quite possibily the people you bought it from still have the admistrator slot in thir name. I bought mine from best buy and they show up in the admin stuff. Only way I know is to take it back and make them remove it. All of it And they can

Latest posts

Back