false pregnancies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
When a mare has a false pregnancy, did you feel a baby in there? You know, the weight and hardness in her belly that a mare has when she's pregnant?

Oh I hope someone replys to this. Because I could of sworn we felt a foal in our mare. We felt it move and even felt something hard like a hock sticking out. Sometimes I wonder if it was our imaginations cause we wanted to feel it so bad since obviously there was no baby in there. So I would really like to hear what others have to say about this.

Alisha

Generally speaking, in order to have what is described as a "false pregnancy" a mare has to have been pregnant. Horses do not have the kind of "False Pregnancies" that dogs have, although some mares can and do produce milk for a foal. So- Yes you could feel a foal- and then the mare terminates or reabsorbs

We've only had one false pregnancy. We never felt or saw movement. We believe she got pregnant, absorbed early, but she still continued acting pregnant -- liquid made her belly look bigger, and she developed a bag and made milk!

MA

I had two mares with false pregnancies in the same year. After waiting and waiting for a foal past due dates, had the Vet check them both and neither was pregnant but not coming into heat either. So he gave them both shots to come in heat and the problem was resolved. This was several years back. That same year another farm had the same problem with a mare and she actually went into labor and delivered nothing because she really wasn't pregnant. Best to have your Vet check her out. You don't want her to go in labor and not deliver anything.

Don't laugh but my first my mare went 24 months before giving birth. I bought her bred and it was 24 months later when she had her foal.
rolleyes.gif

Of course, that is the standing joke here. She was rebred during that time.

Miniv said:
We've only had one false pregnancy. We never felt or saw movement.  We believe she got pregnant, absorbed early, but she still continued acting pregnant -- liquid made her belly look bigger, and she developed a bag and made milk!
MA

449599[/snapback]

Maggie did this to me this year. Sigh ~~~

I think if you truly believe the mare is pregnant you can convince yourself of anything!

My vet came out in June and checked my mare over, no internal, and said you should have a foal by the end of the month!
rolleyes.gif

Now here we are and no foal!!

She looks pregnant, is very soft in the back, completely relaxed tail etc NO BAG but she is a maiden! She is pregnant but I don't know WHEN to expect a baby! She has not come into season this year????

I am NOT on mare stare because now I have convinced myself she is not pregnant BUT in reality she must be!!

Clear as mud, right!!!!!!!!!!!

This little mare is my buddy, I think she will give me some signs that we are getting closer and then I will be on mare stare, I'll let you know if I am wrong!!!!!

Good Luck!!

Latest posts

Back